Wilderness Access Day Time Change (05-17-08)

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by JamR, May 12, 2008.

1. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    For those of you who may be planning on attending the Wilderness Access Day this coming Saturday in the City Of Irvine Open Space Preserve - South; the start and finish time was just changed today due to the expected hot weather and potential high winds.

The access day is currently set for 8:00 am to 1:00 pm which still leaves time for plenty of riding.

Here are a couple of videos from the last two bike clinics in the area......enjoy!

Beginner Clinic on 04/12/08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fic18JYupls

Intermediate Clinic on 05/10/08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9b3pRzNVE

2. back of the pack

back of the pack Member

Home Page:
    Here are a couple pictures from the Intermediate Clinic on Saturday.

Come on out this Saturday and you can ride Rabbit Run also

Attached Files:

3. TBlazen

TBlazen Rider Doooood

Thanks Jamr...

Looks like this one is self guided; Are there any maps and can we enter the trail network from Shady Canyon and the 405?

4. GOGrannyGO

GOGrannyGO Titaneous Member

With all due respect, that is Irvineification of an event.
    WTF? I certainly hope you took out all the cactus and flattened the hills too. Somebody could get hurt.

5. TBlazen

TBlazen Rider Doooood

Here is a response on my request for a trail map :wave:

Thanks for inquiring about a map. Yes, you will receive one upon check in at the registration table at Bommer Canyon. From this starting point, you will receive a map and a badge to wear during your outing on the trails. This will help the volunteers patrolling the trails to properly identify riders and hikers who are participating in Access Day. If you come in from a different location other then Bommer Canyon, you will immediately be directed to sign in at the registration table. It’s best to avoid any confusion at this

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly at (714) 508-4716

BYW, I wish I was doing the Traverse (Gene...you and a few others know that !)

6. JamR

JamR Moderator

Update for Saturday's Wilderness Access Day.

Just a head's up that the Cattle Crest Trail will not be available for riding on Saturday due to construction of the last bridge being installed between Cattle Crest and Rabbit Run. The bridge abutments will be cut and there will be no way to get around them.

However this will be the first access day that the connector between Rabbit Run and Fox Run will be available for riding since that particular bridge is complete.

Here's the current map for Saturday's Ride.

Access day is from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm this Saturday with check-in taking place at the Bommer Canyon Trail.

7. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

JamR - What is the best route to experience all of the singletrack starting from the Quail Hill TH? BTW, can you check in at the Quail Hill TH or do you have to go all the way to the Bommer Canyon TH?

8. guero

guero iFroth

can you start at the nix center and then go check in at the bommer check in area?

9. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Are you going to do this on Sat?

10. JamR

JamR Moderator

For right now, everyone needs to start and finish at the Bommer Canyon Trail Head since that is where the registration is handled and the Day Use Permits are issued and returned.

People riding or hiking in from other areas are stopped by the Irvine P.D. Open Space Patrol Rangers and sent back out the way they came.

The best route I can suggest that will get you all of the single tracks and will also get you a nice warm-up prior to hitting the climbs; plus does not put you over the same trail twice (except for the connector between Fox Run and Rabbit Run) would be the following route:

Check in at Bommer Canyon and get your Day Use Pass:
    • Ride back out Bommer Canyon Road (downhill) and go right on the Shady Canyon Bike Path (over the bridge)
    • Take the DG bike trail two miles through Shady Canyon then cross the road after you exit Shady Canyon and get onto the Quail Trail.
    • Take the Quail Trail up to Serrano Ridge, then up to Fox Run.
    • Down Fox Run and connect to Rabbit Run (over the connector trail and bridge)
    • Up Rabbit Run (80% is ride-able)
    • Back down Rabbit Run for the DH fun
    • Connect back to the bottom of Fox Run over the bridge, then over the Shady Oaks Single Track back up to Serrano Ridge.
    • Serrano Ridge to Hogback, to Ridge Route.
    • Down Ridge Route back to the cars.
    I believe this will put the ride right around 14 miles and is a very solid and fun ride.

I hope this helps!

11. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Thanks Adam, so we don't have to register online first right? Just show up and register?

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Just show up, then register...see ya there

Dean

13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Aaargh! Again on saturday! Can it ever be on a Sunday? Please?

14. JamR

JamR Moderator

We're working on that, but it's difficult during this time of year to find an open slot.

Once all of the trails and trail-head areas that were approved in the Recreation & Resource Management Plan are constructed; it will be easier to accommodate a better variety of access days.

It's coming, but it just takes time to get all the infrastructure, planning, staffing, and volunteer coordination in place.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

15. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Hi all, So I haven't done any mountain biking since I moved here in September from VA. I just now found this site... The GF and I ride a few times a week after work and I was planning on hitting a trail this weekend. Looks like the Santa Monicas (closest thing to me) will be HOT! This looks fun. If she's only used to road riding, though, would this have newbie friendly roads? My guess is she could handle easy single track. Either way I'd love to check SOMETHING out and I'm looking for somewhere to ride this weekend... It's overwhelming how much there is here. In VA I had only 2-3 local trails to choose from!

16. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    The perimeter is mostly fireroads, and there is some climbing to reach the ridgeline. The singletrack trails that drop from the ridgeline into Shady Oak Cyn will not be 'easy' for a newbie... at least not Rabbit Run, which has some technical features (rock drop-offs) that could probably be termed 'advanced'. Once in the canyon, there is a really fun singletrack trail that climbs and rolls to Shady Oak Rd (fireroad), which is a sustained climb back to the ridgeline. Fun riding, but if your GF is a newbie, forewarn her that the ride will be tiring if you want to hit the singletrack. Bring plenty of water.

17. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking since she's done only road riding so far, she'd be OK on fireroads but any sort of technical singletrack might be a bit much for her skill-wise if not tiring (which I'm sure it would be).

Now I'm just worried about the heat. I'm used to riding in hot, muggy, humid weather, but in the woods where there's SHADE. I'm not sure what's gonna happen to us under the sun!

I guess I should wait for a weekend when there's not a heat wave coming through, but I'm dying to get out there!

18. Burner

Burner WAWE

it's not going to be any cooler down there than it is in the Santa Monicas tomorrow.

19. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    It's hard to tell how the weather will be here. It's only a couple of miles from the ocean. In the morning, it should be cool... things may heat-up a bit, but not too bad by 1:00 (when you have to be done riding).

The nice thing about these "access days" is that you have the opportunity to ride an area that's normally closed.

The photos at the beginning of this thread are toward the bottom of Rabbit Run.

20. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

These weather forecasts are weird right now. For SM, I've seen 98 from accuweather, 79 from weather.com and 78 from weather underground, all for the same day. They keep changing, but 80 isn't TOO bad.