Why Tubes?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Waldo, May 19, 2010.

1. Aleggs

Aleggs New Member

second moka-
    i got some wider rims recently. they are tubless ready, but due to having "non compatible" tires that are still good, and not wanting to replace them($$) i've just been letting air out of the tubes to see what happens. i originally ran 37 fr 40 r, now im 30fr 35 r. Still no pinches, and i know the pressure has run a little lower than that cuz i dont air up every ride. tubes maybe not so bad?

granted i still wanna try tubeless, but i surmise the wider the rim, the less chance of pinch flat. For the record my Traversee's are 21mm internal width, and Moka's DT's are 23.5mm internal I belive.

2. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Not slime tubes..... those are shit, nothing but problems with those

gotta get a regular tube, and install the bulk slime. Of course if your running presta your screwed anyways. Ran this for probably five years before I tried running tubeless on the AM bike, I an through everything, only reason I ended up replacing the tubes was because they would end up glues to the inside of the tires.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You can look around for presta tubes with removable cores...continental has them. Or you can poke hole in tube put in slime then patch it.

I am slowly switching to UST as I replaced rims, no ghetto setups here. I have always run slime in tubes so I got used to the mess a long time ago...I have always carried a bandanna with me. I have also had many pinch flats in tubes that slime could not fix. I don't like high pressure in my tires I am in the middle 20's on my bikes.

Dean

4. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Why use tubes? I'm too lazy to make the switch and am putting my upgraditis funds toward other projects at this point (hurry the *&%# up, Lenz!).

I'd really like to go tubeless. I will go tubeless; it's just low on my wish list right now.

5. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I have always run tubes and I don't get flats often enough to change for that reason. Also, I switch tires frequently and don't want the hassle of tubeless with that. I have read that Stan's sitting in a tire that's inactive can dry up or even degrade the tire and I don't need another thing to forget to do.

All that said, I have never ridden on tubeless, not even borrowed, and none of my friends use it either. If I rode it and was totally overwhelmed by it, then I'd consider it, maybe I am missing out?

6. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    A tube can be used as a sling when you break your arm.

7. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Doug: Interesting that you said "when" you break your arm.... not "if"....

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

great tube sling work done by Carl (Pho'dup) :bang:

also note the second tube inflated as an arm pillow :)

Attached Files:

9. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

As someone has pointed out, removable core presta does exist.
    All my 'Cross tubes are like this.

10. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I know they exist b/c I had a core unscrew and fly out of may hand on the trail when I was trying to loosen the tip to release some pressure.....it worked....let it all out.....LUCKILY after 20 mins we found it....

11. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Dam Chewy, I've never got my balloon animal tubes back from the ER!

Btw, glad you're all healed up. That was quite the wad-up.

12. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

I'm a little surprised at some of the comments. I'm not saying that there isn't merit in what some of you guys are saying... i've just never had a single issue with my tubeless setup. (no flats, no burps and nothing but improved traction and less hassle)

are all of you guys that had issues running UST wheels with UST tires?

13. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Mins shot out of a tubeless setup at the top of Joplin when i went to "add a little air". Lost it over the cliff, couldn't find my sopare one (yes I do carry one) and had to revert to a tube for the worst day of flats ever ;)

14. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    I haven't changed over to tubeless because with everything that I have read and researched including reviews in the last two years they seem to be hit and miss on the trail as well as during the installation process. There's just not enough "wow" factor for me to switch everything over. A tube is "traditional" and I can replace a punctured tube, put back the tire, pump up the tube and be back on the trail riding in less than five minutes. For me at this time a tube is sufficient. Maybe when more companies get into the tubeless market I'll change my mind. Just my 2 cents. :wave:

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Years ago (maybe 5?) we went to the 24 hours of Adrenalin race at Hurkey Creek. At the start we had over 75 people go out for the LeMans start. Out of that almost every single rider not running a tubeless/stans system was repairing flats. Some people got up to 5 flats and a lot of people forfieted their lap and came back in because they were out of "fixins". The only ones who made it with no problems were the ones using a UST/Stans system.

If you use a UST tire and UST rim there are very few problems and even if you do forget the stans sometimes it's no big deal. To me it's the easiest way to go. With a floor pump and UST tires I have no mess and no problem seating the bead.

16. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

agreed...

17. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Parts Guy Infiniti
  18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I know I know..... but its the looking for them aprt I dont like..... anotehr reason I have schraeder!!!

On the note of the 20 PSI..... FOr the Tubeless guys, I was running a stans kit<not a ghetto> as in an actuall stans kit and strip. At the time I was running a Hi roller/mobster combo at the time....... I ran a day at 18PSI, two our ride through AO down death row, down Mortons peak, down the Mthtone was all the way to circle K, back up for a second run.......... Not one burp or blow off anything.... WHen done properly, ther isnt problems, I just dont have the patience for it anymore

19. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider

Oh the infamous goatheads in the grass!