why not to ride in arizona!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Petex8, May 7, 2010.

1. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural

BY Sean Alfano
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Friday, June 4th 2010, 2:57 PM

[​IMG] Hinshaw/AP
    Pamela J. Smith and R.E. Wall sit on the scaffolding in front of the Miller Valley School Mural titled "Go on Green" in Prescott, Ariz.

[​IMG] Franklin/AP
    Protesters march in front of the Arizona House building.

Related News

Arizona's image can use a facelift, but this might be taking it too far. Artists who painted a mural at an elementary school in Prescott depicting four students, with the most prominent being a Hispanic boy, were asked to lighten the faces amid taunts and tensions.

R.E. Wall, the artist who heads the Prescott Downtown Mural Project, told a local newspaper passersby regularly shouted racially charged comments at is group while they were creating the mural at the Miller Valley Elementary School.

"You're desecrating our school," "Get the ni---- off the wall," "Get the sp-- off the wall," were common, Wall said. "The pressure stayed up consistently," Wall said. "We had two months of cars shouting at us." The mural shows students using various methods of "green" transportation, but the colors of the students have generated all the attention.

The mural flap comes amid growing tensions over Arizona's strict new immigration law that has drawn nationwide criticism and praise. The ranting of one city councilman seems to have revved up the controversy in the community.

"Art is in the eye of the beholder, but I say [the mural] looks like graffiti in L.A.," Councilman Steve Blair said. "I am not a racist individual," Blair said on a radio show last month, "but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's President of the United States today and based upon the history of this community, when I grew up we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"The "black guy" in the mural is based on a student of Mexican descent, a school official said. According to the most recent census data, Prescott is more than 90% white, with 8.2% claiming Hispanic origin. Blacks, Asians and Native Americans compose less than 3% combined, the data show. Blair said Wednesday diversity is a word "I can't stand."

"The focus doesn't need to be on what's different; the focus doesn't need to be on the minority all the time," he said. Wall said his artists began touching up the mural earlier this week. "They want us to lighten up the forehead and the cheeks [of the boy in the center], and make him look like he is coming into the light," he said. The school told Wall they want the children to appear more "radiant and happy." The school's principal, Jeff Lane, told the newspaper he asked the artists to "remove some shadowing that made the faces darker than they are." He added the negative comments over the mural have mostly ended.

"I think I only received one this past week."

2. Fisher29

Fisher29 New Member

If You Don't Like Arizona, Then Don't Go.

Can We Talk About Bikes Now?

3. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    STR: Stuff To Read

^^ welcome to the pub. if you don't drink--or if you aren't old enough to drink, don't come in the door.

if you want to ride, i'm free tomorrow afternoon, and i have a newb ride posted for sunday--trailhead forum.

:beer:

4. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
  5. solarken

solarken New Member

Arizona

So many opinions...

Try living in Arizona and see just how bad it got...

California Texas and New Mexico need the same laws..

Arizona is one of the premier riding places in the southwest. Try it you will see. And you will be safer with the new law in place...

:beer:

:welcome:

6. bloose

bloose New Member

Safer that is hillarious.. All illegal immigrants are violent, drug dealing, terrorists . I personally believe I would be safer without all the gun toting, trigger happy, power drunk law enforcement officials that are around. And if anyone is angry about my generalizations take a look at some of yours.

7. NObrakes

NObrakes New Member

WELDER
    You said it bro! But I do support Arizona 100%. Im a welder and its a big problem. Lets just say you make 30 bucks an hour well the employer could go hire 3 for 10 bucks an hour and bam your out of a job! Its a big problem and its the employers fault just as much! blah im done lol:beer:

8. MtnBikerBamBam

MtnBikerBamBam New Member

server
    one word! HEAVEN!!! Any of you remember "the day without a mexican?" when they all went on "strike..." I got to work an hour faster, got home an hour and a half faster. then went to my second job (pizza driver) and there was one thing i saw (in brea) A TON of cops writing drunk in public tickets for "people" drinking in the front yard...... it was hilarious.... All and all the world kept spinning, even in the number one source of illegal employment, food service.... GOD PLEASE LET THEM PASS THE LAW HERE!

My wife and I are actually considering leaving the state because neither of us want to raise kids here. we both went to predominantly "ethnic" schools, of which most students were admitedly illegal or who had illegal parents. I was stabbed once and beaten three times by piece of $h!t gang bangers doing their initiations... one gang was MS13 (a south american gang), i was stabbed with a very small knife....beaten.... and had my bike stolen, by 12 year olds....(i was as well)

My opinion, put up the jurasic park style fence, put some gun towers up all along the boarder, and as soon as they step foot accross our boarder.... shoot em and through the bodies back. and im not just talking southern boarder... northern as well. as for the coast gaurd, stop any boat comming in, no papers....blow em outta the water and let em drown.... no other country would put up with the crap we do........

9. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Dude, I'm not even Mexican , and you disturb me. I'm not a proponent of illegal immigration , but I don't let it make me a lesser person either.

10. MtnBikerBamBam

server
    LOL, it may be disturbing but its true.....it is a flood comming from all directions....so far all our country has done is give a few slap on the wrist, then every 20 years or so we just LEGALIZE everyone..... thats like telling a little kid to stop doing something then giving them a cookie rather then putting them over your knee. illegals need to be put over America's knee, NOT handed a cookie. And if that means we shoot down what i consider an invading force on our country, then so be it.

we fund the boarder patrol with pennies, we give two guys like 200 miles to patrol, but we have all kinds of money to send to other countries to give the "aide." but we cant manage to get our boarder closed?

Im sorry, im just tiered of my little sister in-law having to listen to her homeroom directions in spanish then repeted in English to her and one other girl (whos black, and has equally irritated parents) because the class is 90% hispanic...

And by the way her last name is Ortiz, her grandpa just came her legally 60 years ago, served, worked and paid taxes his whole life, i have no problem with that. and he and his son (father in-law) both share the same opinion as i do...

Just wait till you or your kid gets beat up for being white, maybe i wont be so disturbing. No one ever calls the black guy disturbing who gets beat by the KKK or some skinheads, but i forgot, racism is ok now, as long as your not white....

Illegals have been given to many slaps on the wrist its time for a spanking!!

11. gnarboots11

gnarboots11 Member

Civil Engineer
    I agree kill em all. who cares, kill em.

12. MtnBikerBamBam

server
    LOL we dont need to kill em all, just the ones trying to sneak in here, and make it so miserable for the illegals that are here that they want to go back home.

13. bloose

bloose New Member

Man I want to ride with you guys... Really cool "kill them who cares" sweet. You guys are who we should be targeting and kicking out of the country. Too bad you were lucky enough to be born here and to benefit from the free educations that you were able to recieve. And you obviously learned little from your free education.. God knows we wouldnt want anyone hearig a language other than english. Id rather eliminate those of you who recieved all the benefits of being an american and who are still simple minded and ignorant.

14. gnarboots11

gnarboots11 Member

Civil Engineer
    How was my education free? I pay 30% of my income towards taxes, I owe $30,000 in student loans and everytime I buy something in L.A. I pay another 10% in tax on that item. What's free? Please, let me know what I get that is free.

15. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    "Please don't feed the troll(s) and/or atrocious spellers."

16. MtnBikerBamBam

server
    :clap::clap::clap: I AGREE!!!!! my education was not free..... on the other hand, those here illegally, their kids education is not free as they dont pay taxes as I DO! they get the free ride, not me. And when i go apply for schollarships my last name doesnt qualify me cause im too white, and when i applied for finacial aide in college, my dad made to much...... so dont give me the BS that i get a free ride. My wife and I paid close to 20k in taxes last years so ILLEGALS could have their FREE ride.

I'm not some closed minded redneck, I have many friends who immagrated, the only difference is they did it legally! My old boss, who my wife and I are still good friends with went through the 10 year process to become a citezen, then she had her son come over from Mexico, what was the first thing she did, she sent him to school full time to learn English. He came and couldn't speak a word, now he is fluent. He too has started the citezen process.

I love how all the bleeding hearts out there feel bad for all the illegals, my guess is that either one they are or family members are illegal, they dont sit down and really think about how they are a DRAIN on our society or have never had to experience anti-white racism to any significant scale (as i said, apparently in the US racism is OK, as long as your not white).
    The big excuse is "well they do jobs no one else will" yeah well with today's economy, believe me someone would gladly come in and take that job legally. The world wont stop spinning because people who arent supposed to be here get booted. Next excuse "well their country is poor, communist, radicalist ect" So FIX IT! Dont sneak over here, take our jobs then SEND THE MONEY BACK! All that does is give there home country a source of income and allow the government to keep opporating the way they do.

I have NO PROBLEM with someone who immagrates, just stand in line like everyone else does (or is supposed to).

As far as I am concerned, if you are here illegally, you have no rights, you are not a person to me, you gave all that up the second you decided to break the law and cross our boarders illegally. I put you in the same category as murderers, robbers, and rapists (yeah I said it). You are breaking the law, taking what is mine, and hurting my family. I work too hard to see 30% of my paycheck go to support some fast food cook's kids education while my little sister has to deal with sub par schools, over crowded classrooms and the fact that shes not white enough to be white but not brown enough to be brown.......

17. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Can I get a witness?

18. tupapi77

tupapi77 New Member

It is just so amazing to see how many ignorant people roam this forum.

Generalizing is so easy and even easier to ass-ume that all people whether mexicans or latinos are criminals.

Facts speak louder than anything else, you people claim that illegal aliens cost more than anything else, that they just suck tax money and give nothing in return.

Let me give you an example of many, you get off the freeway and see a man selling flowers all day long, day after day after day, rain or shine he/she is there trying to make an honest living and then let me ask you something, HOW MANY WHITES, BLACKS, ASIANS have you seen doing that? if you are to point something like that then you need to look around and see who else is costing us all our tax money and not only illegal immigrants.

Yes, there is always the bad apple that gives the bad rap to all but instead of talking crap like shooting people or kill them all, you should look at a realistic solution.

Make a productive and adult comment and don't just hide behind your keyboard talking shit because you can't be accountable for your comments or actions

Josh.

19. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Josh -

Did they commit a crime by coming here? Break any laws?

Follow along now.
    If you break a law... you get... wait for it.... a Punishment.

All this other side arguing is pointless. They ARE criminals. If they broke a law BEFORE they paid or didnt pay any taxes, BEFORE they did or did not enroll in school for free, BEFORE they did or did not take a job that americans will or wont do.... They broke a law. Lets handle that punishment before worrying about the rest. Solve the root problem, the rest is extraneous.

Done.

20. tupapi77

tupapi77 New Member

I understand that 100% it is a crime, but in all honesty, are you going to send back 12million people? how do you handle it?