Ride Report Why I Love Dove Canyon/Coto to Caspers

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BikeThePlanet, Jan 20, 2013.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

It is not technical. There really isn't much "downhill". There isn't much of a single track. However, it has one of my favorite spots on an OC trail:

IMG_0912.jpg

Here is a shot from my favorite bench right as you enter the backside of Caspers. It isn't near a trailhead/parking lot so rarely see any hikers. It isn't the most exciting trail so you don't get a lot of mountain bikers like at Aliso. It is just peaceful. It is like looking out on a mini Serengeti without the animals. People have different reasons to ride. Often times I just like to get away from the hustle and bustle and this is a good spot for that. Next time I might bring lunch and a book. I love this spot.

I stopped in to visit Brownie at his luxurious estate, but like last time he wasn't in.

IMG_0907.jpg

I figured it was a good trail to take the SS out on. There are a couple of steep sections I couldn't clean, like coming back towards the horse staging area, but overall a good workout for me on the SS.

IMG_0911.jpg

For those familiar with the area I do have a couple of questions. I saw some trails on the side of the main horse trail that were labeled as "Private Property. No Trespassing." However, they have trail marker signs with trail names and mileage. It had me a little confused.

IMG_0914.jpg

Also, for a large portion of the main trail there is a singletrack/doubletrack that parallels it on the other side of the rusted barb wired fence. It is a well worn trail, but not sure on the legalities of it. I don't imagine there are any rangers out there and it is not like it is anything gnarly. Just wondering.

Lastly, healing vibes to the guy that went down on the flat fire road. I came on him right after he went down. He didn't know what happened and there was nothing there to crash on except a waterbar, but he was a good point past that unless he really flew. Anyhow, a lot of blood. It made me queasy. The poor guy really busted up his face. I hope all is well. Sucks to go down, especially early in a ride and on a boring section.

2. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    these trails are great at night, enjoy thanks for the pics.

3. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Always fun out there, especially on nice days this time of year.

Glad to see you're getting the El Mar SS dialled in too. Looks sweet. You plan on leaving it clipless?

4. TahoeDays

TahoeDays Member

Hi BTP. This is great little trail. One evening right by your bench we saw a buck with a full rack. One side of the trail (before Caspers on the left ) is the Audubon Starr Ranch property , which is off limits. On the other side of the rusted barbed wire fence, I believe, is Coto property. I ride both sides and have never had a problem. The place you refer to as "Brownie's estate" is the remains of an old shotgun range.

5. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks for the RR. I rode that a few weks ago and have to agree that the scenery is fantastic. Much of the time on a mountain bike I'm prone to focusing on the trail so much that I have to force myself to take the time to enjoy the scenery, but not on that route. Yeah, there are a couple small challenges, like the steep bit you mentioned, but mostly you can JRA and enjoy your day. And yeah, I can totally see that as a great route for hardtails or a SS if you're so inclined. Good stuff!

6. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Nice RR Ryan! How are you adapting to the SS? BTW, I moved from Coto but the house is for sale, I'll let you have it for $78,000,000.00

7. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Thanks for the RR. Used to ride there often, and that bench is a nice place to get away, relax and enjoy the view.

8. BikeThePlanet

I figured since I added the Spearfish to the stable and the El Mar was already fully rigid and a 1x9, I might was well make it a SS. It is a nice change of pace. I like the feel of the fully rigid on a lot of the trails. It is a lung buster though. I know it is against conventional wisdom, but I like the flats. I have the Wah Wahs on three bikes (El Mar, Spearfish, and my road bike the Vaya). It works for me and I enjoy the ride. As much grief as some MTBers give me over it, it is the roadies that really get their panties in a wad. I'll pull up to a light on PCH wearing a North Face hiking shirt, baggie shorts with no padding, and sandals. The looks and comments I get . . . Hahaha. But like I said, works for me.

The SS has its moments. My bad lungs don't like it, but they don't like any climbing. Damn birth defect. Lucky I can ride at all. You know that tube thing you blow into with the ping pong looking balls are supposed to get pushed up to measure your lung capacity? I have never been able to make that damn ball move. I had to inherit a bad set of lungs from my dad. The SS puts them to the test.

Overall I like it because it is like the BMX bikes I'd ride as a kid when I wanted to be Cru Jones. I do know that, at this time, I wouldn't be able to do Blackstar. Well at least in any reasonable amount of time.

As far as you house, you probably aren't too far off. Just being in Coto the land has to be a crazy fortune.

9. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    you need to show me this place. I'll bring my ss

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

10. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Let me know when you guys do this

11. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    If I come down that way next weekend for the speedway party, we can do this ride next Sunday with some extra credit.

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    ME TOO!! But, I don't agree with 'conventional wisdom' -- you're a teacher, those two words do not go together silly boy!

hhhhmmmm... MTB grief-yes; wardrobe, not so much....

Amen!!! :clap:

I just wish everyone would keep their opinions to themselves...I just shake my head when beginners are forced into clips and some give up riding out of fear, or those riding clips - un clip on certain types of terrain or situations. (I gave it a couple of years, many shoes, many clip systems...just not for me...).

13. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    This is one of my favourite trails too. It's a great work out, really peaceful, amazing views (you can see the ocean on a clear day from the end of the West Ridge), It's also got some blazing fast sections on the outward side and a really fun twisty downhill before the shotgun lodge. I often go to the end of the trail and enjoy the silence out there. I used to ride it as a training ride - all out this ride will kick your butt, but just cruising it's just great.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?&route=108&sortdir=1&sort=1#ladder

The signs you refer to have only been put in recently and were put there by Coto de Caza. I've seen other signs on the other side of Coto that expand on that sign and refer to the trails as for residents and guests of Coto de Caza - so basically I just ignore them.

14. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Hey Julie, I was just curious about it, that's all. Flats, no flats, whatever...run whatcha bring, as far as I care.

Though I will make a suggestion one thing, just because it's caused me a lot of pain a number of times, and that's riding in sandals. I LIVE in my sandals pretty much year-round, but have torn my toes open, smashed toenails off, and broken toes enough times to finally ride in shoes when I'm out in the dirt. Around town I'll still ride in sandals all the time, but I'd just be really cautious about doing long trail rides with them.

15. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    We had some fun out there Saturday morning as well. Left my place, down through Tijeras into Oneil, up to Bell View, then across that Ridge what I call Ladera Ridge. Took that down to the top of Star Rise and then back home. Only 2200ft of up but a fun ride as always. This is one of my regular rides in the afternoon and may be today again.

[​IMG]

16. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I also like that route, except I don't like looking at large sections of off limits to bikes (Star Ranch)....would be so sweet to connect over to San Juan Trail thru Star Ranch. My backyard trails here in Laguna are either up or down and sometimes it is nice riding something easier. Dean

17. melster

melster Member

Software
    I love living in Ladera Ranch. I ride out of my garage, and I can choose to do some lung busting climbs or do a long XC ride with okay elevation gain. Last weekend ago, I strung together a 30 miler with 4200 ft of elevation gain:

http://app.strava.com/activities/37284806

I loved that ride because while it had a lot of elevation gain, it was never a sustained leg burner like say Blackstar to Motorway (which I did Saturday). I don't do so well on those.

Back to the original thread, I know that area relatively well. I would offer to take you guys on a tour, but I'm doing that Endurostuff clinic Saturday.

18. BikeThePlanet

I have dropped down into Capers a couple of times, but not too familiar with the park. What is the best route through Caspers for the next time that I drop in?

I was looking at the Starr Ranch. There is a hole in the fence at one point with a lookout. You can see this lonely trail in the middle of the valley. It looked like XC bliss. I thought maybe it was part of Caspers and connected to something else.

JasonMason I'd definitely not ride dirt in sandals. However, I have some awesome Ecco sandals that I love for road riding. I throw wool socks on in the cold of winter, but still ride with them. The feet breathe and feel good.

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I find Caspers frustrating as they have closed some good singletrack to bikes.

20. BikeThePlanet

Tony, probably not worth it for the distance you'd have to drive. Even for me it is a stretch. If you are driving that far Aliso, Whiting + the Luge, or the Weedpatch are probably a better bang for the buck.