Why do people hate Specialized again?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ManInAShed, Dec 7, 2013.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    In general, I just don't like MtB companies that make road bikes, commuter bikes, beach cruisers, all of their proprietary components, all of the clothes etc. Don't get me wrong, Giant, Trek, Specialized, GT all make GREAT mountain bikes, but I find myself drawn to companies that specialize in MtB. Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Knolly, Pivot, Intense, Turner, etc. I think they have more soul, are run by mountain bikers and aren't in it for global domination.

Oh Crap - I just used the generic form of the word "specialize" - I'm gonna get sued!!!!!

2. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Maybe that's what he meant by asking "Why is anyone still riding Specialized?" You said it didn't "seem right". Even those who aren't riding for a shop that no longer sells that brand are allowed to decide not to ride that brand because they think it doesn't "seem right" to support a business with bully business tactics. Just my .02

3. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Don't Trek and Cannondale do the same thing?

4. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Haven't heard of Cannondale suing gun stores for using the word "trigger," nor Trek suing gas stations for the word "fuel."

5. ScottQ

ScottQ Member

I just posted this in a different thread, but it's relevant so I'll copy it here. My take on the entire issue:

If you sat down and started counting all the sketchy things large corporations did you'd be doing it until the heat death of the universe. Specialized does get a bad wrap because they're a highly visible, but I'm sure if you started doing some digging you could find dirt on Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. Specialized makes good bikes though, that's not really disputed. Their bikes aren't of any lower quality because they also make road bikes.

Ride whatever bike makes you happy :)

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Didn't mean they were suing people. I was referring to them forcing bike shops to carry X amount of the products if they were to be a dealer. AKA, if you want to be a (brand name) dealer, you have to carry $X amount in our components, $X amount in our helmets/riding gear/shoes, etc.. Specialized is just more aggressive in how they handle it.

And remember, I'm just asking. I have never dealt with any of these bike companies before. I'm not in the "industry."

7. jimw2112

jimw2112 Member

soils tech
    I don't think it's legal to copyright or trademark ANY single words that can be found in the dictionary. LOGOs are one thing but words!? If anyone ever tried to sue me for using A WORD I'd tell them to bite my shiny metal a**! It's a shame that our legal system continues to allow ANYONE to get into court for stupid s*** like this.

8. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    simply because I used to ride a Kona, frame cracked, but since warranty is only 3 yrs they won't replace even though it was a defect on that batch of frames ( i know they do lifetime now but my year they only did 3 ). Offered crash replacement, and price was almost the same as buying it new... I know for a fact that if it was a spesh id already be riding a new frame now. my 2 c

9. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    On my Surly

Attached Files:

10. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Depends on where crack was. Specialized doesnt consider rear triangle a part of the frame. Only the front triangle is. Also, it is no longer lifetime for all bikes. I think the dh bikes are 3 years now.

QUOTE=new2mtb;1020495]simply because I used to ride a Kona, frame cracked, but since warranty is only 3 yrs they won't replace even though it was a defect on that batch of frames ( i know they do lifetime now but my year they only did 3 ). Offered crash replacement, and price was almost the same as buying it new... I know for a fact that if it was a spesh id already be riding a new frame now. my 2 c[/QUOTE]

11. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Respectfully, you're out to lunch, Jim.

Words may be more difficult to legally defend, but they do constitute brand equity and are legally defensible. You'd be forced to comply, just like if the Zappa estate went after you for swiping Frank's pic for your own use. "Enterprising" people seem to think that if something can be done, it's okay to do it. The concept of intellectual property is somehow lost on these people.

I'm in no way defending Special Ed (who went way too far IMO), but the right to defend intellectual property ownership/equity.

12. wheeler

wheeler Member

On their website they should replace the riding photos with this picture.....more appropriate ;)

Attached Files:

13. ScottQ

ScottQ Member

Hate the company if you want, but do you really have to bring that crap out on the trail?

14. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Calling ZeroGravity! I have a large order of stickers for you to make hahahahahahaha

15. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

OMG I need one of those stickers.....Specialized = lame

16. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Trek was founded in 1976 and came out with their first mountain bike the 850 in 1983. That's over 30 years of mountain biking experience and dedication to the sport. Trek has more MTB Soul than any of the boutique bike companies you listed IMO. Yeti wasn't even founded until 1985 and Santa Cruz until 1993! Knolly has only been around since 2002. LoL. Correct me if I'm wrong but these boutique bike companies only have the capacity to serve a certain niche group because they are relatively small. Don't dislike a company because they have become successful after all they are a business.

17. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. All of Trek's "mtb soul" is shielded by their corporate curtain. Also they don't have a tribe and yearly tribe gatherings, so in that aspect, Trek gets blown out of the water.

18. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    No doubt posted by a Specialized rider. Ha!

19. ScottQ

ScottQ Member

In the interest of full disclosure, yes, I ride a Status; and I don't think Specialized is immune to criticism at all (and I do agree with most of the criticism posted here). I just think it's stupid to wear a sticker on your bike that loudly proclaims "I hate your bike company." It's pretentious and self-righteous.

20. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    That's not why I hate the company. Your logic is circular. I hate the company for their lack of soul, their poor treatment of retailers and their lunatic copyright infringement bullying for words that sound like a common phrase (Allez).

And for the other post - who cares when Trek was founded and when they built their first mountain bike? What have they done for the development of the sport of mountain biking? Compare to Yeti.

Ok wait - Emily Batty. OK, Trek, you get a pass.