Why aren't you racing Knobby Time?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by oalmaguer, May 23, 2012.

1. oalmaguer

oalmaguer xc.Omar

Sales
    hi everyone, i'm putting the feelers out there to find out what is keeping you "personally" from racing or what you have heard from other riders. the numbers have been soft this year compared to last year.
    just let me say that in no way am i comparing this series to OTH.
    also, i know the OC riders would have to travel too far for a thursday evening.
    i'm talking about people in l.a. county area that can make it.
    if work is keeping you from racing, please let me know that too.

help me out here so i can make adjustments for next year.
    thanks in advance.

2. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    Hey Omar,

I think you are doing a great job out there! I can not think of anything I would do differently. I'm personally not racing because I need to pay for my daughters wedding. That's eating up all my $$$!

3. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    I didnt have a raceable bike until yesterday. I really want to get out there for at least one

4. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

For me in west LA it's almost as far as OTH, that's really the only thing.

5. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    I enjoyed the races last year as well. The courses are great, the price is fair, and the general atmosphere is awesome. Like many, sadly, money is being budgeted elsewhere. Even if the races were free, the price of gas and other expenses is making my "extracurricular" activities take a back seat. I am not doing any racing this year. Keep up the great work Omar and good luck with the rest of the series.

6. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

A few factors for me.
    Time
    I'm feeling fat and slow

I'm just not sure that spending money to ride places I can ride anytime is worth it.

However, I do appreciate the hard work and the opportunity you give for riders in this part of SoCal.

I'm gonna have to get out there to support the cause.

7. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    For me it's the scheduling. I planned on doing the first one, but it was rained out. After that, the races have either been on a week that had a race that weekend, or on a week where I just felt like I needed the rest.

I love that you're offering these races, the prices seem good, and I think the venues are great (certainly better than OTH). Bonelli is one of my favorite places to race and I really liked South Hills when I did it last year. It's a bit of a drive for me, but 45 minutes isn't too bad for some good racing.

8. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Because I'm fat n slow.

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Work obligations. I am either traveling on business or cannot get out of the office on time to get to San dimas for the start. As I've expressed to you many times I really like this series and the venues so it's killing me that I can't make it. With a new job this year work is interfering with play and I can't risk my job to go to a race. Make it a Saturday or Sunday morning race and I'd be there all the time.

What I find interesting is the dramatic difference with OTH attendance. Are there really so many more mountain bikers in OC than in LA? Or do folks in OC just have so much more disposable time that they can leave work early all the time to get to the start line in time?

10. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Is there DH or Super D? If so send me a flyer and I am in.

11. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I'm out by San Bernardino and can't justify the cost or time of racing out west on a weeknight. OTH races are even more out of the question.

12. SADJ

SADJ New Member

I did a couple races last year and enjoyed having a closer option for weekend racing. This year I've been battling a knee issue and haven't been able to race. I hope to get back to racing later this summer. I appreciate the series and I certainly hope more people come out and support your efforts!

13. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    For me it's the traffic on Thursday nights going away from Downtown LA over the hill... =( I rrrreally have been wanting to do the Glendora ones too!

Perhaps its the traffic? I know OC gets traffic too but the traffic coming from downtown LA seems so much worse. I can get to OTH (about 50 miles away) in the same time I could make it to Bonelli (about 30 miles away). So ridiculous!!!

I wonder if switching up the days to maybe Wednesdays or on different days of the weeks would help? Hmmmm

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

What's Knobby Time?

15. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Oh hell. I didn't know it was a week day race. In that case let me modify my earlier statement....
    I'm fat, lazy and have to work during the week.

16. Scott D

Scott D New Member

I raced last night and had a blast. Great fun and well organized. I also really liked the course you set up at Bonelli. I am sure you would of had a better turn out if it was not the day before a holiday weekend. I think a lot of people were getting ready to leave on Friday for the long weekend.

17. oalmaguer

oalmaguer xc.Omar

Sales
    i really appreciate all of your input. i believe i will have the series "only" on the weekend next year. i know i scheduled these races in the middle of all the out of town us cup events including sea otter. this is year 2 learning lesson for me. by the time i realized this, i was in too deep to make any changes. i have other things & places in mind to bring more local events to you all. my goal is to bring more people into the sport and keep the events fun & not intimidating.

so, the last one is june 10th, sunday morning, weekend, no traffic. i hope those of you that missed the weekday races can come out to the final round & support the ending series.

see many of you june 10th.