Why are there no good Enduro's/SuperD's in Socal

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Salespunk, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

We have the trails from SLO to San Diego and other places are holding races on Forest Service trails. So why not Socal? I have seen running races held on San Juan so what is holding back an Enduro? I am sure they would be VERY well attended events on the right trails (San Juan, Noble, etc) to the point where the organizer could name their price for admission. There are even local spots like Elfin Forest in San Diego that could have awesome events. So what is holding it back? Is it the cost of the timing equipment or the sites themselves? Getting tired of driving to Norcal and Utah to race!

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

It is called Permits...... Having 100 runners running down San Juan is a whole lot different than having 100 cyclists race down San Juan.

We(Warriors Society) have been limited in the # of participants for our events since day 1. Forestry Service won't permit us to run more than that.

Some of it also has to do with logistics.....San Juan is not accessible except from the top and the bottom. What happens if someone gets injured near Cocktail Rock......you are a long way from the nearest road.

3. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
  4. robertherber

robertherber New Member

racing bikes
    Humm...Funny that you mention that! I just may be working on some things, MAYBE.:-k

mtnbikej is spot on!

Just curious what courses you think could work at Elfin? Way Up is not a possibility (unfortunately) because they have to keep the park open and I know we have not been able to hold events there for some time because of the construction in the staging area by the dam. Another thing with Eflin is the Fire guys go nut because of access issues if someone gets hurt, pretty much all E-Vacs would be by helicopter there.

5. socal stinky

socal stinky Member

I wanted to make this one but I was out of town. This is a fun place to ride plus the night portion would have been awesome. http://vp-usa.com/enduro/

6. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Equine Incline would be my thought. You could even do two stages, one each way to the bottom. I remember the issues with the last Super D there, but that corner was really deceptive and poorly marked. There is nothing like that on Equine.

Also, How about La Costa? Has a fire road up the middle for rescue, three separate courses so you could do it as a multi stage Enduro format. There is even a good pit area at the end of Camino Junipero. The other one I was thinking of was Bernardo Mtn at Lake Hodges. That course would be AWESOME for a Super D. There is also Hell Hole Canyon up by Lake Wohlford. That place is really under utilized, but it might be a little short for a course though.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help move this along. Would love to see some good TECHNICAL Super D/Enduro races in Socal. The last one at Elfin was the best course I have ridden around here. Vail Lake is kind of a joke for Super D. Might as well ride a 29'r hardtail for those courses.

7. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

One other question, could you do the Way Up Trail if we started early? Say the first rider going off at 6 AM and done by 7:30 or 8 AM before they open the gates?

8. Stefun

Stefun New Member

Hi, I'm all about gravity-enduro races (I come from 10 years of dh racing). I'm trying to help Jason Ranoa to develop the format and the trails at Vail Lake. Please don't be so hard on what we've done so far. The potential is there and the venue is kind of unique. As it cools off a little we'll start working on the tracks for the november race which will probably see individual starts and more technical gravity stuff. Please support, thanks.

9. Stefun

Stefun New Member

ps, let's go ride together and talk about it...

10. Stefun

Stefun New Member

another idea could be an enduro event using strava to time the stages...

11. Stefun

Stefun New Member

12. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

I was thinking of something like this just for friends. Three or four tracks, one run only maybe limited to one day, possibly two. Could put time limits to avoid trail conflicts. Say prior to 8 AM. Thoughts?

13. robertherber

robertherber New Member

racing bikes
  14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

+1 on the Racers and Chasers event...for us OC folks willing to make the trek, the Black Mountain Area has some pretty good trails...

15. throttlemire

throttlemire New Member

Magazine Publisher
    Home Page:
    What's with starting three guys at the same time? I guess it's to simplify timing, but that would mess up my concentration.

16. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Got to be ready to throw some elbows! Back to the BMX days.

In reality I agree though. Not crazy about starting three wide if there is single track involved.

17. robertherber

robertherber New Member

racing bikes
    We are starting all stages Time Trial start, meaning each guy will go individually. However you can throw all the elbows you want in the un-timed transfer stages. :lol:

18. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Sweet!!