Why a $2000 frame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timber725, Jun 3, 2009.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I guess when he was riding IH, his Sunday was custom geometry too? THe only reason the Demo is completely custom, is because they had to rebuild it from the ground up because the previous version was not going to be competitive.

2. DaIsh

DaIsh Grandpa Trail Rider

Ez-Ree Local Govt Acct Mgr
    I think you were making a statement...

Seems to me you are not asking the question, "Why a $2000 frame?" But rather, you are making a statement about $2000 frames being too expensive.

Did you want to be convinced into paying $2000 for a frame? I don't think anybody here can do that with you.

One decides that purchasing a $2000 frame does so because it is worth it to him/her. Not sure if they need to justify their expense report. Let that person just enjoy their nice bike frame.
    :)

3. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Enough, lock this thread.

http://www.motobecane.com/MBUSAoffroad.html

I've been nice, and even patient but must question how many high end bikes you have seen to think that 2 grand plus is a bargain for rim brakes.:?:
    [​IMG]

Further if THAT was the 2003 bike of the year than what the hell is this?
    [​IMG]

Now I love a slutty fork as much as the next guy, but the Psylo has been dead a long time. Nearly as Long as Susan Potwer and her "stop the insanity!!" plea[-X.

Shitty imports like these are why those who can shop on value rather than price:-k. Granted I could save a few bucks on gas putting around in a Honda, but it's economy (plastic shit box with no headroom) DNA means it Could never hold a candle to any BMW on the street or track:lol:.

4. mouse jockey

mouse jockey i can't type the letter s

molecular researcher
    Maybe he means this Fly Team for 1800.00. I'm not going to give the company free advertising where this is found, BTW.

(can't believe I just contributed to this thread) :-s

flt_600.jpg

5. whybother

whybother New Member

lots of discussion on perception of value. very interesting stuff.

i don't get the ego argument though (unless one puts forth the argument that my desire to be fit, healthy, and challenged in life is ego based, which might be partially accurate).

my bike purchases are all about performance. if there was a company that produced a race bike that equaled the Sworks Epic A) Specialized would sue them till they were dead and B) we would have on in our garage.

on the HT side of things, all the carbon HT's that are in the 19lbs range (out of the box) cost the same. i have the specialized one and again it is all about performance. one of the first BB30 mountain frames. one of the lightest cranksets out there. etc...

i guess i am in the minority but my bikes are definitely built around performance, all about function.

i agree that most of the bike components and frames are overpriced. there are many reasons for that, but i do know that local companies don't produce/sell high enough numbers to reduce cost much more. tooling is expensive, skilled labor is expensive, life is expensive... if you can afford one of these finely crafted machines that is great. if not, enjoy what you can afford!

ride the piss out of your bike every chance you get! travel to beautiful places and explore the limits of your own fitness. adventure in your back yard and find places you didn't know were there. just ride.

6. butasan

butasan Member

I believe those boutique bike manufactures we've mentioned here are all good, but can we all be honest for one moment and admit that boutique bikes do make you feel like you are a much better rider than you are?

Just like women want louis vuitton handbags to feel like she is better than others.

7. timber725

timber725 New Member

would like to be pro MTBer
    BTW, high end rim brakes were the defacto xc race bike in 2003. Only more recently have you seen disc brakes on xc race bikes.

but no i don't mean this one. in today's standards this bike is worth less than $1000.

That may be a good point. I'm finding reasons and meaning in life to justify the $2000 frame over a $500 frame. Will I tell the difference? Will the service I get be worth the extra $1500 i spent. Will the envious green looks lower end riders give me as I ride pass them on my $2k frame be worth it?

8. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    $2000 bike

If you have not noticed Giant's FS framesets are in the upper price range nowadays. A frame set will run $1600 msrp for the frame. I worked in a shop a few years ago and a 05 Giant Trance frameset msrp was $899.99 it is almost double that now.

Just to let you know also Giant makes all Santa Cruz frames except the VPP models.

Also with high end frames some of them come with custom or semi custom geometry. It all comes down to preference. I prefer Ventanas because of the quality of the craftsmanship and customer service you receive with them. How many bike company's can you call and talk straight to the builder. not many​

9. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    It's because it's what it costs to build a quality frame & not cut corners.

If your car was made as well as that $2000 frame, it'd cost several hundred thousand dollars instead.

You can get a similar frame (most of the materials and processes are "good enough" for most people) minus a few of the things the premium frame comes with at a much lower cost. Things such as environmental controls implemented during its manufacture, observed health and safety standards for the workers who built it, an injection of capital into an industry innovator/grassroots supporter/IMBA supporter. This doesn't apply in every instance on either side, but is the generalization.

Personally, I'd rather spend $2400 retail on a premium frame that actually costs the MFG $1100 to build & sell, than $2400 on a whole bike and get a frame that costs $300 to build, $500 worth of parts, & the rest on advertising and overhead.

But it's not for everybody.

It's just another thousand bucks. Worth saving an extra paycheck for, I think. When you negotiate buying a house, that amount is lost in just rounding up & down.

Of course, this is coming from someone with $40,000 in bikes, who scoffs at paying more than $3,500 for a car. Hahahaha. :)

10. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

Dead head