Why a $2000 frame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timber725, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    Well I guess some of us are just bike snobs, though I could care less what bikes others have as long as it meets their expectations and they are out riding!

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Because no matter how good the bike, it can't make my balls bigger!

3. DH_Gnar

DH_Gnar Banned

Whayong, why don't you attend a demo and settle this dispute yourself? Intense, Turner, and many others host many demo days.

As for my car analogy it clearly answers what you were after. If two bikes were spec'd similarly, but one costs $1500 more would the rider feel the difference?

My answer to that is yes, and is the primary reason on why I tend to lean toward these "boutique" brands. It's not because of status symbol, brand loyalty, or trendy following, it's because of the bikes I've ridden these "boutique" companies have offered me the best feeling ride compared similary designed bikes from other manufacturers. Ride the bike that get's you stoked. Go Demo and see for yourself, because only you, yourself can tell what you like or don;t like in a bike.

The path said it the best- "Love the bike you ride."

4. ctimrun

ctimrun New Member

I ride a Turner because the bike works very good, looks good, is reliable, doesn't squeak, Turner has great customer service that backs up the reliability, not everyone has one, etc. etc. I hear stories all the time about people being pissed at the manufacturer of their bike because of a potential or full on warranty issue. I can't say that nobody has ever been disappointed in Turner's customer service, but I think they have proved to support their customers very well.

I would also be very happy with say Specialized or Giant or whatever, because I like to MTN bike, but I know that if I have a problem with one of their bikes, it may be more of an issue to get it taken care of than with Turner. Specialized (or any of the bigger bike mfg) isn't going to care one iota if one of their customers goes to the bike forums with a squeak issue (or whatever issue it is, squeak is an example). I have seen many times where Turner will respond to complaints with their product with suggestions for correcting it, and even go farther with it than that to make their customer happy. I think this is the biggest reason I am willing to pay $2K for a frame from them.

BTW I know I am not any better than anyone else because I ride a Turner, I never really even thought about it that way.

EDIT: I also like the fact that I can order my bike painted the color I want (or raw) and without any lame graphics or stripes that seem to be all over most of the non boutique bikes.

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I think its all the single speeding. :lol::lol:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    5 pages of " my bike is better than yours". That is just f-ing awesome. Bitches!!!

7. G-MONEY

G-MONEY International Playboy

Infotainment
    Bought the M3....

Attached Files:

• M3.jpg
      M3.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

This thread cracks me up because all the folks I ride with, ride EVERYTHING. From a $400-500 bike to a $5000 bike. When we all get on them, we may talk about our gear, but most the time we ride the living crap out of them like we're 8 years old.

9. whayong

whayong New Member

Man I must suck @ coommunicating. Maybe that's why the g/f always complians I don't get her.

I don't care about the difference between the $2K frame and the $200 frame. I want to know if forking out the dough for the $2K frame makes one think it is that much better then a less expensive frame.

so that we can take out any bias by the ridersI used an analogy of a frame test, de-branded, painted, and same components between a range of frames (expense wise). Without this bias, maybe I can get my answer because it will be a more controlled experiment.

Why not do demo days? I have no intention of buying a frame that costs that much that I will end up wrecking anyway, atleast not yet. A demo day will also add a bias toward the answer one way or another and it will only give me 1 answer, mine. You can't base a poll on 1 survey.

Anyway, I clearly suck @ this so I'm done .

10. G-MONEY

Infotainment
    The only time I wished I was a saddle....

11. Yangpei

Yangpei Member

Orthopaedic Surgeon
    Why a $2000 frame? When you can't afford a $3000 frame, of course!

Seriously, if the bike does what you want at a price you are comfortable paying - great. I don't mind spending more if a boutique brand offers something that I can't find from the big name production brands.

12. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Well here is analogy that makes sense. Take a Toyota corolla on a nascar track with 140 hp or so. It will push in every corner and top speed might be 100mph. Then take a 700 hp car and put the same driver of the corolla in the Nascar and lap times will imporve little. If you cant handle the car, HP is a crutch. So in theroy, start cheap and learn how to ride. If you start with a 5000$ bike and cant ride, you will never know its potential.

13. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    You was took!

[​IMG]

Turner Rules!

14. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Try out my 303. One of the most expensive DH frames there is. Completely unique and in a league all its own in every respect: performance, quality, aesthetics, heritage. I consider it the Aston Martin of downhill bikes. When I drop into a race course on this bike I have the utmost confidence. Worth every single penny at $3600.

15. G-MONEY

Infotainment
    Nice E46... is it yours? As for Turners, well we're all entitled to our opinions... :rolleyes:

16. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Apples and Oranges. Comparing a car to a bike frame is totally different.

By that logic, you would think that Made in Taiwan frames wouldn't stand a chance on the professional level.

What kind of bike is Sam Hill riding? Ned OVerend? Adam Craig? If they are riding Civics of the biking world, how would they even compete with the Ferraris of the biking world, like Intense or something?

17. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

for me it's just all about what I want. And of course if I can swing it with out hurting other things.
    My Brooklyn frame was pretty spendy, my old S.C. Bullit was not so much. I've had both for a long time and both are still doing fine. I'm still happy with both of them.

Kinda like mt tool box, I've had a big Crasftman for at least 20 years. Use it every day and it's fine. But man O man do I want to step up to a nice de-lux box like a Snap On. Do I need it? Not at all but for as much as I use it I think it's time and I deserve it. Same as a bike. Why work your azz off if you can't have what you want?

18. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    I hope that no one on here formulates their opinion of a bike based on its component-spec.

19. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Poser here, looking for a 'made in the USA' :wave:

...and if it's so nice to look at, that when I walk out the garage and say I need to ride that, instead of doing chores, etc... and it gets me outside for exercise and fun, than it's worth every penny I can afford to spend.

EDIT: my reason for looking to USA - is not better quality (didn't GM prove that theory :) it's to keep the 'support' here, e.g., R&D, manufacturing jobs, sales, etc. - it seems we pay a premium to have it made here, with so many losing their jobs and how hard it is for small co's to compete with salaries abroad - this is just my personal choice to support where I choose to live.

Note - I'm soooo not worthy of carbon....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  20. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    Though "Made in the U.S.A." isn't always the best indicator of quality. Especially when dealing with carbon fiber.