Ride Report Whoops 10/25/08

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by denmother, Oct 27, 2008.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Soooo, we had planned a SSDHC ride at Whoops on Saturday but due to the recent fire, we decided to cancel. So Roger, myself and Lee decided to do a recon mission to see how the area was affected by the fire. We were told by a friend that the area was untouched so off we went Saturday morning.

We got there at 8am and lo and behold the entrace which is the pedestrian gate at the end of Kenter Road was locked. We waited around for about 1/2 hour to see if anyone might show up with a key, but no such luck. While we were hanging out Pmortuary, Dubl_xl and his son Donovan and our friend Brad showed up. Pmortuary and Brad decided to head hone and the rest of us decided to make it an adventure day.

I then sent a text message to a friend who lives nearby and got some vague instructions on how to get to the alternate entrance. We drove around trying to find it and found another entrance but found out from some locals that it was alot of fireroad descending and climbing to get there. We finally got directions to the Mountain gate entrance and off we went. Everyone was afraid that it would be closed because of the red flag warnings, but the alternate entrance was open and there were no closure signs.

So off we went to get our "jump" on. We ended up descending on a fire road to the entrance to Whoops and remarked on the fact that we were gonna have to do some serious HAB on the way back.

The jumps were in good shape and there were only a few other people there so we didn't have to worry about getting in anyone's way. We ended up concentrating on the 2 table top jumps on the top section and then the 6 in a row towards the bottom section.

Unfortunately when I got there we found that my Pike on my Foes had gone south so Roger and I shared his Brodie Holeshot HT for the day. I don't have much experience dirt jumping on a HT so I decided to take it easy.

Here are a few shots that Lee took. I unfortunately left my camera in the car!! It was a fun day and there was no carnage!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our friend Damien

[​IMG]

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    :( I wanted to go.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Me too:(

But I understand why we canceled it.

4. denmother

Sorry guys. We ended up spending 2 hours trying to find the alternate route (our friend who is a local tried to text me directions, but left out a few street names). I didn't want everyone else having to waste their time. The good news is, we know where the alternate entrance is now, and we know that the trail is in excellent shape!!!

5. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

The other entrance if off Mountain Gate. It is downhill to the Whoops from there but a bit of a climb to get out.

6. denmother

Yes dear, we know. I referenced that in Post #1. ;)

"We finally got directions to the Mountain gate entrance and off we went. Everyone was afraid that it would be closed because of the red flag warnings, but the alternate entrance was open and there were no closure signs."

All of us walked up the fireroad climb except for 2wheel_lee who rode a wheelie up all of the uphill sections on the way out. :)

7. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Sorry didn't bother to read the whole post.

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'm glad that I was finally able to go to Kenter. It was looking like the day was a washout after seeing the gate locked, but it was good that we finally found a way in (legally).

There are some big jumps there! I'm not used to riding that kind of stuff, and I wasn't used to the bike I was riding, so I had to spectate as Damien showed us how it's done. I'd like to spend more time with those kind of jumps to get used to them. But fortunately, there are jumps for riders of any skill level to build their skills.

9. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    Next time y'all head out there, I'd love to join. I've only been once, with IMALLSLO, and had a blast.

I used to get my jump-on up in the Bay Area at a place called Carlmont. I've gotten really rusty with built stuff, and need to get back on it.

I'll keep an eye out for the post!

10. W4S

W4S New Member

you guys missed the easiest entrance: hike up the hill along the fence about 20 feet, pass bike under fence, go jumping. #-o

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

We saw that, but we didn't know if there was another legal entrance in or if it was open. If there wasn't, and we got caught, it could have resulted in steep fines.

12. denmother

Yes, we saw it, but all of the local dog walkers/hikers thought the entrance might be closed due to red flag warnings so no one wanted to get ticketed (seeing as the Kenter Rd. entrance actually belongs to DWP). ;)

Lee, did you get any other pictures? Did you make an STR Photo Album by chance????

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

No, I haven't yet spent the time to figure out how to make STR photo albums work correctly.

14. denmother

PM Sent!

15. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

looks like fun. I'd be down to follow you guys for a return trip once I get my hardtail built.

I expected pictures of Lee sending it somewhere too :?:;)

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Nice guys. I need to spend more time on my bike. I have been kinda MIA lately. I have just had so much happening. Time to make the bike happen.

17. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician
    My son Van and I had a blast at the Whoops with Denmo, Hubby and Lee. I was kinda bummed to see the gate locked at the bottom and almost bailed out to go ride Sullivan Canyon with my son but when Denmother said she heard of an alternate entrance I was stoked! It is a bit of a climb out when parking at the mountain gate entrance but still worth it to hit some sweet jumps. My son had been watching the YouTube Kenter clips for a year now and couldn't believe how much larger everything looked in person. He was hitting the little speed bump jumps and I was practicing on the table tops. I took a run up at the canyon jump but still seemed like I needed more speed (and a video camera to capture anything that might not go as planned). This guy Damian showed up on a sweet Santa Cruz Jackyl and was killing it! Linking the big doubles, clearing the canyon like it wasn't even there! Kid had skills. I'm looking forward to a return trip soon.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Ah...here's one more photo...

duble_XL, PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you the full-sized version.

Attached Files:

19. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    whens the next one???????????????

20. slo65

slo65 Balls of fluff

Living the dream