Who uses gyms?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by sasquatch9billion, Jul 22, 2009.

1. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    The heat's been killing me, so I decided to check out a gym today as a guest. I went to LA Fitness in FV and did some weights but missed the spin class and the pool was crowded and tiny. So I wanted to see what people think of gyms as far as value and what's available close to my house in Costa Mesa. I fugure if I can't be outside doing what I love I should at least get some exercise during the daylight hours that I'm waiting to go out or go to work. Ideally I want:

-swimming pool (not small)
    -spin classes
    -weights
    -yoga
    -rock wall would be tight.
    -cheap

Ideal and input? Thanx-t

2. PAIN

PAIN New Member

I use 24hr fitness.

I only use the weight room, but I am sure some of them have what you are looking for. cost me 34.00 a month.

3. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

24 hr in upland has a pool, I don't use it enough, costco membership gives ya 2 years on the cheap.

I like to go in around 5pm and hang out by the drinking fountain and talk smack with the other guys who have at least 20" biceps. jk

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I had a gym membership until I got my bike last summer.

Also, only join a gym that doesn't require access to your checking account and will let go month to month. Signing a long term contract is a big no no.

Google all the clubs and check out what current and former members and employees have to say.

Even if only half of what you read there is true, that's enough to be wary of such franchises.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

personal trainer
    I do weights in the gym 2-3 days per week. Since I started riding, I cant stand doing cardio in the gym anymore.
    Since its been hot, I stay coastal for my outdoor workouts. I do run/ swims at Crystal Cove and Big Corona. Run the beach for about 45 min, then do a half mile swim. Big Corona has buoys marking distance.
    Also, I do stair workouts. CDM has a ton of different stairs and ramps to keep things changing.
    I understand I have more time than most to workout. And since Im a trainer and lead a few Boot Camps each week I get to work out while Im working.

Stay coastal, your in Costa Mesa right next to the beach.

6. yetifan80

yetifan80 Can I Stop the Addiction?

i think costa mesa has two 24hr fitness, and if you have money for the lakeshore 24hr then you can work out with some of the angel's players if you were a baseball fan.

7. dbnow88

dbnow88 New Member

I have a 24 hour fitness membership that I never use and I'm about to cancel. I just ride earlier in the morning or later in the evening and go to a rock climbing gym.

8. cardio in the gym is a joke in my opinion, i go to 24hrs in foothill ranch like 4-6 times a week to lift...600 dollars for 3 years and 50 dollars a year after that

9. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    I've been throwing iron around for 20 years, get into a good gym, get serious don't take up space throw the iron and get out on the trail for a cool down.

10. Saosin

Saosin Member

Respiratory Therapist
    I've been doing CrossFit for the past eight months..... honestly nothing else can compare. It benefits your riding so much, and the awesome thing is that a lot of the skills can be done at home and without weights.

11. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    I have been a member to gyms for 20 years. Bally's, Gold's, 24 hour and now and most happy with LA Fitness.

I hear you on the pool, the key is to find some times that work for you that are off the peak hours. Overall though I find LA Fitness gyms (I have been to several as I travel for business) to be the cleanest, most complete, and they fix equipment that does not work promptly.

12. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I had la fitness for years...used it a lot for a while then just for raquetball and knee rehab. Cancelled pass and got costcos 24 hour pass...comes out to 13/month vs 30/month I was paying at LA Fit....for something I rarely use it is a no brainer.

La fitness is a much higher end place than ballys/24 hour unless you step up to the 24hr elite gyms which are just outrageous in dues.

13. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    I just reccomend joining the closest one to your house and/or work! The closest it is to you, the more likely you will go!

P.S. I've had LA Fitness since graduating college and been pretty happy (with the exception that the closest one is 10 miles away!), ALL classes (including spin) are included. They just recently mailed me a flier for $200 activation and $24/mo thereafter. Pretty good because I am paying $30! The best monetary deal though is that Costco promo for 24 hrs.

14. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Most gyms in my humble opinion are a rip. Having to go somewhere other than home to exercise is going to be a hassle and short lived. I'd Spend my money on a road bike or a trainer for your bike:). Neither of which should require you to give control of your checking account to the gym;).

15. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    This all depends on your goals, you will never hit all your muscles at home or on a bike like you can if you know how to use the gym equipment.

I have been a member to gyms for 20 years and it definately has benefitted me in every sport or activity I participate in. You will not find any true athletes that do not strength train in a weight room of some kind. :beer:

16. Fetus

Fetus New Member

I had a 24 hour membership for the past 9 years. I stopped going after a series of break-ins in the locker room and in the parking lot (a common theme at all gyms). The gym was usually packed and sometimes some unsavory characters like to hang out there. I also began to worry after a staph outbreak near where I work. I don't want to carry a bottle of disinfectant everywhere either.

I injured myself benchpressing about 4 years ago and have been hesitant to lift heavy weights since.

I have some dumbbells, a pull up bar, the Perfect Pushup, and a TRX suspension trainer at home. I now aim more towards functional strength and core strength than trying to bulk up.

17. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Check out the YMCA in Back Bay....they have some good spins classes taught by mtn bikers and are really never that crowded....

18. sasquatch9billion

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Thanx for all the great responses guys. I saw the costco promo, think I'll go with that as 24hr is closest to me.
    I already have a set of rollers but no tv to watch while I ride in my livingroom, it gets a little boring.
    Uncle rico, I grew up at Big corona, up until a few four years ago I climbed, swam and jogged there.-t

19. quazi

quazi New Member

Investment Banker
    On 17th behind Santa Monica Seafood is my favorite gym, used to be Met-RX, one of trainers bought it so the name is different now. No pool, classes etc...just a nice open floor, huge varitey of options for every muscle set, and a a memeber population that is serious and practices proper gym etiquette, something I find lacking at 24hr.

20. sasquatch9billion

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    That place seems to cater to the lifted truck, Affliction t-shirt set. I worked on Main st. HB for two years at a bar, I got my fill of those guys.:lol:j/k
    I have a good friend who loves that place too.