Ride Report Who opened the freezer door at Four Corners?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Better if you use smart wool glove liners under the surgical gloves. When it rains I don't use fleece gloves I break out the Seal Skin gloves.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

Dean

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Dam right you did! Next time txt us the night before the ride not 1 hour before. ;p

Don't worry, we can go ride it again when there's snow up there.

3. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Yeah, we were wondering about you. It was a long ride on a SS plus the cold made it tough coming down Joplin as Carl pointed out earlier. I was already tired from the climb plus the cold temps just made me feel like I couldn't control my descent, but I was still fun overall finishing a long loop like that with a bunch of friends.

Pho'd up and Dubjay mashing
    [​IMG]

Bandman
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The real climb begins
    [​IMG]

Temps were cool but comfortable the majority of the ride
    [​IMG]

Up at Four Corners it was in the 30's so we waited just below to stay out of the wind. Gabe claims he wasn't too cold in his sleeveless jersey.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to take off early so I could get some rest before my shift at midnight. Wish I had more time to stick around and get some "recovery" food with the group.

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I thought you only rode in Flannel Steppie?

[​IMG]

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Hey there is smart wool under that flannel.

Dean

6. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

Yup there i am in the back wearing Capilene 3 base layer, Jersey, thick running jacket, Gortex shell, wool socks, shoe covers, fresh dry gloves, leggies, skull cap, and full face mask and still freezing my azz off! Everyone at about the time this pic was taken were talking about how we couldn't feel our fingers - and sort of nervously saying we couldn't get frostbite at these temps...pretty sure...right guys...ummmm, but I can't feel my hands man! I think I need a bigger ride pack for all of the clothes I'm bringing next time. Too bad there isn't a pic of GeorgiaOfTheJungle sporting her stylish garbage bag shell. I hear it's all the rage on the Paris runways.

Great ride and it was great to see/meet y'all. :beer:

7. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Thanks guys for the hospitality when I got up to the top of Harding. It was nice to talk with someone and have a little Co at least half way to the peak. The last bit of riding past Joplin was dark, scary, cold and pretty stinking lonely.

8. XCRider

XCRider Member

Great to hear you got through OK. I talked to you for a moment at the top of Harding before heading back down (offered a car ride back to Trabucco if you wanted). Was good I stopped since it took hours to get warm again, but I still wish I could have gone on around with you. How long did it take to get from 4C to the peak? Anybody else on Holy Jim? Good job going it alone!! :bang:

9. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I think in reality it only took me 45 minutes maybe an hour but it seemed a hell of alot longer. It was dark and cold up there. Once I got to Holy Jim even upper Holy jim there was alot of foot traffic and one biker climbing. Probably not one of my better decisions to ride that loop that day but something I will not forget any time soon.

10. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Rachel, I love riding with you but I'm really not sorry I missed this one. :)

11. danlorek

danlorek New Member

was that you i ran into with an almost flat on the rear tire on your way down?

12. BandMan

BandMan New Member

Are We There Yet!

Great ride since it now looks like its going to rain all week.
    Carl, thanks for the SS Trail Tour Guide.
    Harding was an experience if you can call it that :lol:.
    We met up at Cooks Corner [​IMG]

rode up the to the start of Harding.
    [​IMG]

Hooked up with the rest of the group
    [​IMG]

and off we went up Harding.
    Up
    [​IMG]
    Up
    [​IMG]
    Up
    [​IMG]
    UP
    [​IMG]

UP! God when will it ever END!!:mad:
    [​IMG]

I must admit, the scenery was fantastic except for the dark cloud rolling in toward us:lol:
    [​IMG]

Seriously, are we there yet? I can't feel my toes and fingers at this point.
    [​IMG]

Bombing down Joplin was the reward so all was forgiven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's more scenery of the changing of the season.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanted to take more pictures but yeah, it was too freakin cold to take more shots plus the downhill was fun!fun!fun! Even got some laughs with the SSers as we rigid folks dare to bomb down the mountain bouncing off like a pinball:lol::lol:

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I disaree and think Dean is spot on. The surgical gloves will make your hands sweat but they also stay warm. When you take off the gloves dry your hands on about anything and when your ready to go again just put back on the surgical gloves then the liners/gloves. The plastic works as a barrier and stops your gloves from getting wet or damp. I've rode like this in the snow quite a few times and it works great. Goretex by itself just doesn't work for me. True it stops the wind but my hands still freeze even with 100 dollar Goretex gloves.

14. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch

That was me. I pumped it up twice on the way down and waited till the parking lot to change the tube.

15. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Goretex does not keep anything warm, it is simply a breathable barrier kinda like a wind breaker or surgical gloves, it will not keep you warm. Just like any good Goretex jacket shell it's only design to keep out the element, for insulation you'll need your insulation layering.

So just like a jacket I would have the outer shell and then the fleece liner or even wool liner under the fleece. It worked very well for me in the winter of Minnesota(ya don't know cold till you been to Minnesota) and my hands are not too sweaty because taking your hands out and drying them in Minnesota winter isn't a good idea. They ain't kidding when they say frost bite danger.........so stay dry is a must.

For anything above 35 degrees then it's ok since your hand won't freeze instantly.

Maybe Neil/1x1Clyde can chime in on this......he is from the twin city area.

After thinking about it I guess it does work to keep you warm like a wet suit. Not my idea of keeping warm but should work for certain situations.