Ride Report Who makes "trails" like this?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by redwoods, Dec 23, 2013.

1. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    So Mike's Trabuco-Bell Ridge-Ding Dong ride was great. We had a modest and diverse group of 13 riders, all strong and experienced. Everyone made it, and it seemed like everyone had a good day out there.

But, Bell Ridge...umm, yeah. Who the fnck would make a trail that remote and that rugged?!? It kicked my ass - I'm sore like I rode 60 miles and played tackle football afterward. Definitely challenged my skills and fitness, and in fact I will admit to walking a number of the downhill sections as well as the hike-a-bike ups. I absolutely had a good time, but it's not a trail I'll look forward to doing again. My envelope hurts. :lol:

I was able to ride with a bunch of people I seldom see, and met some new friends also. Definitely some strong skills in our group yesterday! It was cool watching Ken, Mark, and Vino ride down "Can't See Bottom". If anyone else rode it, let us know - and I'm sorry I forgot to mention you.

Here are the pics I got. Hopefully others will add theirs.

Top of Trabuco. That's a great climbing workout. Later in the ride Rox and I admitted to each other of having thoughts of riding back down that way, knowing what a fun descent it would be. Of course we couldn't bail like that on this ride.

IMG_2259.jpg

Mark and Vino at top of the first climb/hike after Trabuco. I guess it's Los Pinos trail? Amazing views, and they only got better.

IMG_2260.jpg

Looking east-ish at Lake Elsinore.

IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg

One of the hike-a-bike sections. This one was easy. #-o

IMG_2264.jpg

That was a fun & challenging section!!! Main Divide in the background.
    IMG_2265.jpg

So here's Can't See Bottom...props to those that rode it. Or even tried to ride it. Not for me. These pics don't show just how steep it is. It isn't vertical at all, but steep, loose, and just bendy-twisty enough to require real directions changes a few times.

IMG_2266.jpg IMG_2270.jpg IMG_2271.jpg IMG_2274.jpg IMG_2275.jpg IMG_2276.jpg

After that, there was more fun & challenges. We were out a long time for a ride that would end up being less than 20 miles. Jonathan and I were cramping up a bit, and I think Ian and Ken opened up mustard packets at some point. I ended up drinking all but about 10 oz of the 120 oz of water I brought, and went through 2 electrolyte tabs (one during and one right after the ride). This flag is located just above the turn for Ding Dong. More fun was ahead, even though we knew it would be over soon.

IMG_2277.jpg

This ride was an adventure to be sure - the right mindset and attitude seem to me to be just as important as skill, but I would not try this without full knowledge of how physically demanding it is. I'm glad I went, and I think I learned a few things about riding and about myself while out there. Thanks for including me on this outing Mike!

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Nice Ride Report Pat - thanks! Sounds like a challenging ride on a gorgeous day with good people!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Welcome to back country trails.

4. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    That looks pretty brutal thansk for sharing!

5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Starting out in 38° weather made it difficult for my muscles to warm up; I knew Trabuco would be a challenge so I paced myself. I was getting frustrated bc I was getting bounced and losing control from the step ups. Ray finally let some air out of my tires and I was on my way.

The reason I was considering bailing was Trabuco was in fantastic shape - ohh how I wanted to ride that tacky goodness. I'm so glad the guys wouldn't let me. We timed great trail conditions for Bell Ridge. Sure it was loose in some spots but nothing like Joplin. Plus there's really no exposure so I wasn't as fearful riding the steep, loose stuff.

It is by far, my favorite back country trail...OK, I haven't done a whole lot but BR is my kind of riding, I guess bc I like the endurance it demands. I can't wait to ride it again!

A seat dropper and pads would have been ideal. The guys wouldn't let me put my Kotex pads on my knees as an alternative.

Pat: Thanks for taking the time to take and post pics - I'm really bad at that. You're awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  6. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    That section, almost looks like the right side (at the top) of Ol Camp, before the final drop into ol-camp and Joplin meet. Trail line along side of the power antennas !!

Great report, great pics...

7. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    Sounds pretty rough.
    Also sounds like you guys had a good ride. Thanks for posting Pat!!

Roxy, TMI... :)

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yes, that's Los Pinos. Bell was the 1st split to the right while Los Pinos continues straight. Nice RR and pics. The back country riding is riding at it's best.

9. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Thanks everyone.

Chris, well-put. That's a perfect summation.

Rox, you weren't even tired afterward, were you?

Mario, I know the section you're talking about - I haven't ridden it, but you may be right about it being similar.

Gene - thanks for clarifying. I recall now that we were talking about and looking at Los Pinos trail on the ridge to the south of us after we made that turn. I'm told that one is even more difficult than Bell.

10. tracysurf

tracysurf New Member

World domination one website at a time - owner of
    Home Page:
    Right on and good stuff. I didn't even know about that trail. I got to get out and right with you guys sometime.

11. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Bell is one of my favorites, and it's even better at night!! :clap:

Great pictures Pat. Thanks for sharing!

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    It's not any more technical than Bell..., Los Pinos has more HAB(if your can't pedal the ups :)) and steeper looser descents. It's pick your poison sort of speak.

IMG_5591.jpg

Also, Los Pinos ends near the bottom of San Juan at the Lazy "W" Ranch so you either start there and pedal up San Juan all the way to Blue Jay then up the "Wall" from Falcon to the top of Trabuco or start from the bottom and climb Trabuco, then down LP, up SJ then back down Trabuco :bang: You can't really shuttle it cause the gate at the bottom of the Main Divide in Blue Jay isn't always open.

13. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Nice run down, Pat! TFPU :)

A great day on the trails with a bunch of skilled funhogs. Cheers to everyone in the group...let's ride (and push) again soon!

14. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    When ya gonna figure out Mark, I'm just a clown...lol Besides, they weren't gonna be used ones...geez!

No, I wasn't. Running marathons (half and full) have helped w pacing myself and having overall stamina, Pat.

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Keep the Zen

martial arts
    Nice to ride with all of you . Ya I think Bell is much trickier than Joplin. Did a little write up on imtbtrails.com You got it all Ken. Good to see you again.
    Thankss

16. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    NICE. im glad i didnt get an invite

I didn't really know what I was getting into, but I trusted that those who had done it before had faith enough in me or they wouldn't have included me.

]this is how it is was intended to sound

17. Mexi"can" MTB

Mexi"can" MTB New Member

System Integration Test Manager, Computer Storage
    Here are the pics I have to share.

Jonathon and Pat hanging out at the holy jim parking lot before the ride. Not sure what Pat is looking at.
    [​IMG]

Rox, Bob and Mark hanging out at the holy jim parking lot. Looks like Rox and Mark spotted what Pat was looking at.
    [​IMG]

Pat, Mike, TJ and Tom the bomb booboo he didn't know he had.
    [​IMG]

On the back TJ, Vino, Ken, Ian and in the front Tom the bomb meeting up at Holy Jim parking lot
    [​IMG]

Ken, Ian, and one of the Tom the bomb meeting up at Holy Jim parking lot
    [​IMG]

Boy I look ready to go. LoL
    [​IMG]

Jonathon and Vino at the Christmas tree near the top of trabuco. Ok...the top of Trabuco did not seem near riding up Trabuco. LoL
    [​IMG]

Hanging out at the top of Trabuco telling stories and next rides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom the bomb refueling at top of trabuco. Vino ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Ohhh. Tired Nomad but ready to go hit Bell Ridge.
    [​IMG]

Lake Elsinore.
    [​IMG]

After the first HAB on bell ridge over looking Elsinore. Rox looking upon Lake Elsinore.
    [​IMG]

Ohhhh! A HABing we will go...
    [​IMG]

18. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Man, I make the dumbest facial expressions...and you capture them so well! Thanks Ray! :lol:

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Keep the Zen

martial arts
  20. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great photo additions, Ray! I really like the one with you, Rox and Bob in it…just oozes that morning anticipation :)