Who got air lifted out of Laguna today?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by thephat, Mar 8, 2008.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Ranger Ed at Aliso had not heard about the crash & said he'd look into it and let me know the particulars.

2. mtbmichael

mtbmichael New Member

student
    yeah, the chin part would cause hyperextension of the neck when that part slams into the ground, but without the helmet there is a possibility of a broken chin/jaw, missing teeth, missing part of tongue along with a broken neck.

3. kanga

kanga Active Member

I know... it's a dilemma. Broken neck and pretty face, or f'ed up face and still able to walk, or broken neck and f'ed up face. They're different points along a spectrum of risk we all must decide for ourselves.

Except for the really generous ones...organ donors... we saw three descending today while doing trailwork on Middle Merrill... without helmets.

4. mtbmichael

mtbmichael New Member

student
    hope the guy is able to recover fully. well i guess there is always surgery for fixing your face if your face is messed up.

on a somewhat related note, back a few months ago when there was insane surf along newport, there was a patient at the hospital i work at who checked in because he hit some rocks while surfing and was partially paralyzed. Ironically, few months prior he sold his tracer because he thought mtb was too dangerous.

5. movingmountain

movingmountain New Member

I saw the bike a KHS. The cops were trying to get it in their squad car. They couldn't get the front wheel off, no quick release/ thru axel. Hope the guy is OK. The rescue guys said a possible broken neck, but he was able to move his arms and feet. He said the guy look to be in his forties.

6. thephat

thephat Active Member

I saw a blue Iron Horse MK lying around the scene unatended, but I gues the injured party was on a KHS?

7. kanga

kanga Active Member

On my last surf trip to Tahiti two of our crew ended up with stitches, and two from another boat ended up in hospital. One of our guys got knocked unconscious and was underwater, leash wrapped around coral, bleeding from the head, and it was only the fact that his board floated back up without him that we realized and got to him quick enough to prevent a tragedy.

For my next boat trip I'll have a Gath in tow.... I was wishing I had one then. All I got was a few scars. (and the best waves I've ever ridden!)

Back on topic....I haven't seen whether the victim was wearing an FF or regular helmet..... still hoping and waiting for good news. When one of our own goes down (even if attempting something they shouldn't have) the statistic moves a notch in the naysayer's favor, and hurts us all.

8. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    Apparently, the blue Iron Horse was the bike of the injured rider according to an eye witness

9. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    NEVERMIND>>..it's already been posted here, by the same rider #-owho posted on the other thread

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  10. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

I'm seeing this thread subject line all too often it seems. Not sure where the crash happened, but it doesn't really matter. It can happen anywhere to anyone, regardless of equipment or armor, even on a trail you may think is easy that you've been on perhaps hundreds of times. A couple of years ago, a friend of mine, who until that point raced semi-pro DH, broke his neck coming down Lynx. He ended up ok (as far as a broken neck goes), but it really made me think, and it has certainly made me ride a little smarter since. Best of luck to the guy who crashed, I hope it isn't too serious. Someone please update if you hear any news.

11. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

hmm blue IH, Dino brown?

12. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    Agreed and Lynx is deceiving as it has taken down a number of good riders.

13. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    From the Head Ranger at Aliso Woods

The report of a mountain biker down on Telonics Trail came in false.I contacted the Laguna Beach Fire and OC Fire Authority dispatch. No matching records were found for Friday or Saturday.
    It's very interesting that there is no offical report on this... just a lot of second hand information to date. Does anybody know any facts for sure???

14. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Interesting... there definitely was a heli that came in Saurday AM.
    I was at TOW and the cops were asking us to clear a path for the Rescue guys coming in on the heli.
    1 ambo and at least 2 fire trucks from what I saw.

Definitely seemed to be over on the Telonics side although I didn't stick around to lookee-lou

15. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

This sounds like some X-Files sh!t to me!

16. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Maybe all of our prayers were answered?

17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That would make sense. There is no such trail as Telonics. ;)

This comes very close to home to me. When I was 16, I went over the bars while practicing on my BMX bike. I was taken to the hospital (I dont' remember any of that). My left wrist was broken (2nd of 4 times), my left ear was torn off (no one practiced with helmets back then), and my C5 was broken with a chunk of the bone wedged against the spinal cord. He said that because of the way my head bent back upon landing, if it would have gone back any further, I could have easily been paralyzed - or worse. I was a bit scared to ride and race anymore, and so I stopped riding within the next year or so.

The doctor said it was too risky to go in and remove or relocate the part, so he said we'll just see how it heals by itself. He said that even if it does heal ok, I'd likely have neck problems when I was 40. Well, that was a long time ago. I'll be 40 this year, and so far, it's ok.

When I was about 25 or so, I really missed riding bikes, and I re-evaluated why I stopped. I concluded that I shouldn't stop doing something because I was scared, and so I picked up riding again. The story has a newer chapter starting about 2 years ago, but I'll sum it up and say that I'm glad I'm back riding again. But having said that, there is still a great amount of fear lingering in the back of my mind. I have most all of the protection gear I can use, but one of the leatt neck braces is looking more and more appealing.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=3&id=3

I pray that this story is a false report.

18. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

So it the Fully Loop:beer:

19. gregspangler

gregspangler notsofast

Firefighter
    I work at OCFA and can check to see the validity of the claim for an airlift out of the area on 4/8. Our units would have most likely been the responding engines and copter, but wont be able to give much detail about the rider or injury due to HIPAA.

Stay tuned.

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I hope you can't see into the future, and I surely hope no one gets airlifted out on 4/8 (if someone does, you do have powers!). Can you check 3/8? ;)