Who else is doing 24 hrs at MOAB?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by boludo, Sep 24, 2009.

1. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    I'm leaving on the 8th after work. Staying the night in Cedar City, UT and then driving to moab the next day.

Maybe if anyone is doing the same thing we could carpool.

I'll be driving back all day on the 12th.

2. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Not this year. Very cold at night in the previous years of racing the Grany Grear behind the rocks tour event. Good Luck

3. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Last year was one of the coldest they've had..It was even colder than the rain/flood year. It was rough! Even with a campfire and a propane heater on our backsides we still were cold! Race night was the coldest of the weekend....
    We'll be there again this year. We are heading out Sat the 3rd and headed back home the 12th as well.

Teams are
    3 Freds and a Roadie - Mens Sport = (Trizz (Troy) Greg C.(Greg C.) Joe & Ryan (from SLC))
    Neil Adams *The Total Package* - Mens Solo SingleSpeed Championship.

totally looking forward to it :bang:

keeping my fingers crossed for a good weather year, in the last 5 years it's either been windy as hell, cold and windy or raining. At some point the weather has to agree with us ;)

*piece of advice, Bring every item of cycling clothing you've got and plan for any type of weather.

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Have fun and good luck! I'll be thinking about and pulling for the big guy ssolo'ing it and the rest of the team.

5. GregC

GregC New Member

Figures Neil would sandbag and pick the "easiest" category. j/k :lol::lol::lol:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Maybe you should fill Neils pack with Turtles to make it fair for the other ssers.

7. prdnme

prdnme New Member

USMC
    Heading up on the 8th and staying in Moab that night. Doing the Men's Solo SS Championship. ;) Hopefully this years weather will cooperate. :?:

8. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

Yes, last year was a tad brisk - a veritable cold wind to Valhalla :)

I'm driving out the 8th - coming back immediately afterward so I can prop myself up behind my desk at work on the 12th. The drive home is half the fun!

I'm filling out the field in the solo ss category and hoping for nasty weather in which to hide my advancing years and current lack of fitness. Although that plan backfired last yr, so perhaps it's time to rethink... but I'm stocking up on brake pads just in case.

I'll be on the orange Astrix 29er with the rigid fork - make sure and say hi! Good luck and enjoy - see ya in the rock gardens...

9. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Ya, Look who's talking! #-o

Did everyone get the email yesterday explaining the difference between the 24hr Championship Races class and the regular class?
    If you carry a USA Cycling License you can register/race for the Championship which is a 2nd race in the race..So your actually racing for 2 classes, ie: the SS Solo and the SS Solo Championship (if your reg for the championship class not visa versa) ..... Things should be pretty interesting this year!

Here is the entire email:

[​IMG]

News About this Year's Race... ​

Lots of buzz about this year's race so let's get started. If your not signed up yet for this year's festivities, it looks like it's going to be a good one. Now is the time to sign-up! Go to 2009 24 Hours of Moab Online Registration>>>

[​IMG] USA Cycling 24-hour Championships
    Thirteen different classes will race for the Stars & Stripes Jersey(s) and designation as U.S. 24-hour National Champs. Racers in championship categories must be US citizens and must hold (or purchase) a current USA Cycling racing license. ​

Championship classes will also be competing within 24-hour Series classes with matching criteria. So, for example, the Men's Solo Championship winner could also win the 24 Hours of Moab Men's Solo, or perhaps, take 2nd in the 24 Hours of Moab Men's Solo and, in either case, earn Series points and a cash purses accordingly. However, a Men's Solo that is not registered in the Men's Solo Championship class could win the 24 Hours of Moab Men's Solo class but would not qualify in the USA Cycling Championships.​

Think of the USA 24-hour Championships as a race within a race. We've made it flexible this way so that racers would have a choice to race within the USA Cycling 24-hour National Championships. ​

If your team is currently registered in a matching 24 Hours of Moab class and you would like your team to be registered in one of the championship classes (see matching categories below), e-mail Connie to have your class changed over. If you don't currently have a USA Cycling license, you can buy a license online or buy one at late registration, in Moab, on Friday, Oct. 9th. ​

USA Cycling Championship classes

Men's Solo Championship
    Women's Solo Championship
    Men's Solo Singlespeed Championship
    Women's Solo Singlespeed Championship
    Mixed Duo Championship
    Men's Duo Championship
    Women's Duo Championship
    Men's 4-Person Championship
    Women's 4-Person Championship
    Men's Junior (18 & under) Championship
    Women's Junior (18 & under)Championship
    Men's Masters (40+) Championship
    Women's Masters (40+) Championship​

| Matching 24 Hour of Moab Series classes
    <= Men's Solo
    <= Women's Solo
    <= Men's Solo Singlespeed
    <= Women's Solo Singlespeed
    <= Duo Pro/Exp (with male and female)
    <= Duo Pro/Exp (with two males)
    <= Duo Pro/Exp (with two females)
    <= Men's Pro
    <= Women's Pro
    <= Men's Junior (18 & under)
    <= Women's Junior (18 & under)
    <=championship class only (Series class is 45+)

<=championship class only (Series class is 45+)
    [​IMG]

Eatough chases Tostado early-on at 2008 24 Hours of Moab but is forced to drop-out after 8 laps.​

Chris Eatough's Last Hurrah? ​

Sounds like it. According to USA Today's Sal Ruibal in his most recent blog posting entitled: Chris has had enough, Chris is making his National Championship bid at Moab his last race. We salute Chris as one of the most accomplished and dominating figures in the history of ultra-enduance mountain bike racing, and one of the sport's greatest models of fine character and sportsmanship. ​

Chris will have lots of good company to help celebrate his swan-song-event and give him a run for his money. Current 24 Hour National Point Series leader, Brandon Draugelis bagged 1st place at both 24 Hours of Big Bear and 24 Hours of 9-Mile. Also, the word on the street is that 2008 Moab champion, Josh Tostado will be returning to defend his title.
    [​IMG]

Brandon Draugelis Current 24-hour Points leader at this year's 24 Hours of Big Bear. ​

Note: I recently received a facebook comment from Chris, on one of Roger Bird's photos of Chris from back in 1998 at The 24 Hours of Canaan (see below). Chris wrote, " I started my 24 Hour racing career with you in Canaan. Now I'm ending my professional career with you in Moab in a few weeks. Believe it or not I'm actually 22 in this photo, but I agree I look like a child!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Shipping Service - Wow! What a Service. ​

These guys are the pros! With their volume shipping rates they can provide amazing service delivering your bikes and equipment to (and from) the event cheaper than anyone and then deliver it ready to go! Definitely using this ourselves! Check it out:
    [​IMG] Moab Bicycle Shipping and Assembly:

• High Country Shipping (HCS) provides bicycle shipping and can arrange for assembly/disassembly for the 24 Hours of Moab ​

• HCS is a registered Fed-Ex shipper with the same prices as if you trotted your prized ride on down to your local Fed-Ex store ​

• In addition you get over-the-top service; HCS acts a clearinghouse for all shipping questions.​

> They consult with each rider​

> Send shipping labels in advance​

> Track each shipment​

> Keep you informed via email ​

> And then personally deliver your bike to the 24 Hours of Moab campground or even local Moab hotels (call for details)​

• After the 24 Hours of Moab HCS will pick up your bike and ship it home​

What could be easier?

Check out the HCS website or call: 877.231.1363​

Pua Sawicki to Attempt Guinness World Record for Mountain Biking
    Pua and Ron Sawicki have petitioned successfully to have the 2009 24 Hours of Moab be designated as an official course for the setting of the Guinness World Record for "GREATEST DISTANCE CYCLED IN 24 HOURS IN A MOUNTAIN BIKE COURSE." Pua will be putting herself and her Ellsworth Truth to the test. Meanwhile Ron and his crew, in addition to providing support for Pua, will be busy documenting her attempt.​

Any solo racer may make a bid for setting the World Record*, however each racer is responsible for providing their own documentation and submitting their bid to Guinness. Here are the forms that you will need and the information for documenting your attempt:​

> RECORD BREAKERS PACK - General Evidence Requirements
    >MOUNTAIN BIKE - DISTANCE IN 24 HOURS - Specific Evidence
    >AGREEMENT REGARDING SUPPORTING MATERIAL
    (The Claim ID is : 232153)​

[​IMG]
    Pua Sawicki, winning at the 2008 24 Hours of 9-Mile in Wisconsin, earning her current 24-hour National Champion status with 18 laps and an unofficial record of 255.6 miles.​

*We have yet to hear back from the folks at Guinness Book of World Records as to whether they will be recognizing both Men's and Women's record but I think it is a safe assumption. Also, we have made a request for clarification about how the final distance will be recorded in that it is most likely that any given contestant will be in the midst of their final lap when the exact 24-hour period is up. (We're thinking an accurate GPS.) More to come when we have more to report. [​IMG]
    Demo the Sweetest Full Suspension Ride ​

With two years under their belts as the Official Bike of The 24 Hour National Series, Ellsworth has provided demos to hundreds of riders who have experienced why Ellsworth owners are so passionate about their race rigs. An exclusive patent makes the Ellsworth experience unique to all mountain bikes, a rear-suspension geometry that cancels out "squish" while remaining fully active. Words cannot do it justice but your demo lap will! Sign-up early. First-come first-served reservations at the Ellsworth booth. Meanwhile, check out their full-line here>>>

Hey Honey! Don't Forget the Kids! ​

There's more kid-oriented family fun than ever at this year's 24 Hours of Moab:​

• Two days of food, fun, and music (and lots of other kids!)
    • Race Spectating and volunteering (see below)
    • *NEW* Kids games: Scream Race and "Fuzzy Bunny" competition
    • Climbing Wall - for kids of all ages
    • 24 Minutes of Moab kids race-4 pm
    Take Your Hat Off to Volunteers or Put a Crazy One On.​

Volunteer Seats at the Log-tables Still Open​

This year volunteers are encouraged to join a "crazy hat" contest to add to the fun. Winners will win prizes for best "Crazy" hat. The race is exciting on both sides of the log tables! There are openings on the last three shifts. We'll have lots of fun together and we'll take good care of you with a commemorative T-shirt, a meal during your shift and plenty of hot coffee and cocoa during the wee hours. ​

or call Connie at 304-614-5091. ​

Say Hello to Your Newest Lighting Sponsor! ​

They've been building lighting systems with cutting edge technology and top-drawer quality since 1989. Their technology and quality have made them the choice of elite pros like Rebecca Rusch and Chris Eatough and their friendly customer service and support have earned the loyalty of thousands of racers around the world. ​

Upon signing-off on their sponsorship deal, Light & Motion brand manager, Heidi Hall said, "This is going to be fun! It will be so great to put faces with all the people I've talked with on the phone and it will be great to have everyone get to meet us and get to know who we are as a company." ​

So Light & Motion is coming to Moab and they're stepping it up to support you, not just as an expo-vendor but as a true sponsor of the race. You can be sure that they'll be throwing down some great prizes, too. Lighting system rentals, sales and service will also be available. More on Light & Motion rentals in our next communiqué.​

In the market for a new light? Check out their product comparison chart to find the light that works best for you. Then use their dealer locator to find your nearest Light & Motion dealer. ​

[​IMG]

The Race is ON! ​

So far, it's looking like numbers are up and we'll have close to 400 teams by race day! The USA Cycling 24-Hour Championships are definitely going to add some excitement. If you haven't checked out the Moab Team Photo Gallery yet, you are in for some good chuckles. Don't forget to get all your team info, sponsor logos and photos uploaded before the race.​

See you real soon! ​

Happy Trails, ​

-Laird Knight, Race Director ​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  10. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    What they forgot to mention was that Pua had an "unofficial" 280 miles (19 laps) when she won her first 24-Hour National Championship in Spokane back in 2005. :bang:

Good luck to the racers and I'll see you out on the course!

11. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

I'm doing it again this year with a bunch of friends from Salt Lake City, I can't wait.

12. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    I'm looking forward to this, we are leaving monday night and plan on getting to the venue late tuesday. Then we get back and 12 hours of Temecula is less than a month away, its going to be a busy 2 months.

And our Very own Neil is going SOLO which is going to be awesome to watch unfold.

13. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Bump...

A week and counting, weather forcast keeps changing I packed our wellies(rainboots) just in case.
    We leave tomorrow morning. We'll have a Intense ez-up & 5 campers stop by and say "Hi" :wave:

14. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

I will make sure to stop by again this year. I really hope it doesn't rain.

15. aweather

aweather New Member

We just came back from Moab last week and it was in the 50s at night. It rained the week before but we had a really great weather window with no rain. I wasn't at the Moab race last year but does anyone remember the first 24 hours of adrenalin race this year at Hurkey? It was so cold in the middle of the night that our water bottles were slush by the end of a 1 hour lap! Oh and Solo SS, WTF!

16. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Update.....
    Well we've been here since Sunday.
    Sunday was so windy we wore googles ALL day :lol:
    Wind died down Tues...Picks up in the evening DAILY and seems to get stonger as the week has progressed.

The days are nice kinda chilly, night is REALLY cold...We've used our heater nightly.

Pre-ride of the course was this morning......
    Less sand = faster laps :)

Travel safe everyone and see you Sat am at the line up :bang:

17. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

good luck! After busting my butt the last few months training for this I had to cancel as I have obligations back here to attend to.#-o

next yr I guess...