Who Can Race? Need Your Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by nervosa, Dec 8, 2009.

1. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    O.K. so, we all know that to compete one should be in optimal condition physically. Now im telling some friends I want to race in the begginner mens CAT 3 XC at Bonelli, and at Fontana, so they say dude you cant race, theres guys out there with like way better bikes than you, so then another tells me, with a entry level bike and great fitness and skills you can compete with just about any new bike. What do you all think? Should I just go for it? Cause I am!

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    It's not the bike. It's the motor. As long as you aren't trying to race on a 40+lb. DH bike I say go for it. Though the winner of cat3 beg may have a better time than the cat2 winner.

3. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    for a beginner level xc race, it's all about the motor and not the vehicle.

Carl beat me to it!

4. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I say go for it! But, understand, like Pho said, that there are some guys who should/could be racing in another category who will be racing beginner just for the win.

Of course, if you ride with faster guys, they'll only push you to get faster :)

5. minhster

minhster DNF'd

Go for it!

It's seriously not about the bike. A great bike helps but I've demo'd S-Works Epics and am I faster on them... probably by a little bit but not much. I want to say it's 95% the rider and only 5% bike (assuming the bike is at least in good functional condition).

I don't know how great of a bike handler you are and I don't know your physical conditions but if you truly think you have what it takes, then do it! If you find out that you suck ass, even better, it's motivation for you to train harder!

Also, if you want, try to pre-ride the courses and see how you feel on them before you sign up. I rode Bonelli a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I can hang on the flats and climbs but being a weak decenter I'm pretty sure I would get SMOKED on the downhills. For that reason alone I wouldn't race there.

6. JD158

JD158 New Member

+1 with previous comments.

It's all about the motor. Just go out and have fun and get the experience, then upgrade the bike later if you want, or dont upgrade at all!! :beer:

7. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

The biggest display of heart I've ever seen on a bike was at Nationals in Fontana two years ago. I was on Hurl Hill and I came up on a heavier guy on a full suspension Roadmaster (the bike, not the Buick). I can't remember what department store I saw those at, but it might have been an $80 bike. Anyway, this guy was guttin' it out. To this day, I have more respect for that guy than the hoardes of beginners I see on $3000 rigs. If you have the means, sure, get yourself something nice. But don't let the bike define you, don't let it keep you from racing if that's what you want to do. Good luck.

8. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I know it's not xc or Dh or Super D but look up "G". That litle guy raced 4x on a bike that was literally falling apart and did pretty good.

Race what ya got and if you find that racing is your thing and you really enjoy it then you can start buying all the "racer" gear you need. Just have fun for now since the beginner class is just for learning and DO NOT judge your times by the first through third place riders. ;)

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

When I raced beginner xc at bonelli and fontana I saw all sorts of bikes and people. Had a guy race in fontana in jeans, a white tshirt and a beefy AM rig with the seat lowered quite a bit. Bonelli was the same way due to its location and familiar venue, quite a few beginners come to race there. In cat 3 you'll see just about everything so do it and show up with and in whatever you're comfortable with

10. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Everybody knows you need the latest equipment, clothing, and nutrition products to race. Sorry to break it to you, but without a nice bike you shouldn't be racing.

/sarcasm

Just get out there and ride! You'll have a blast.

[​IMG]

11. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    Thank you sincerely...

There is no end to the support and HEART of the STR members, these coments alone make me feel like I can do anything! Thank You all.

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

But we all know that those 4 are not human :lol:

13. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Just go out and have fun... that is al that matters in the end

14. minhster

minhster DNF'd

this topic got me thinking... maybe I will race the 2010 season just to have fun. Just out of curiosity, what were the finishing times for cat 3 at different venues? :?:

15. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Its definately the rider and not the bike..... but..... our bike manufacurers are not stupid: The aspiring racer who is moving into Cat 3 and wants to move up the ranks is the primary target market for the high end stuff. When you do start racing Cat 3 and especially if you finish good but not at the top (if you consistently place 2-5 in your category), you'll start investing in the bike as a means of filling in the gap. (I know I popped a load of dough here too). All things equal, if you are a very good racer/rider in top form for your age / category, a better bike will make the difference. Maybe not compared to others with less form and talent, but if you compare your own performance on a good bike vs a clunker, you will most likely do better on the good bike. There is no doubt about it: give the same rider a 35 lbs clunker and a 21 lbs $8,000 Epic Carbon, ask them to climb the same climb or do the same Bonelli course lap on both bikes and that rider will almost always climb / ride faster on the Epic Carbon.

16. downhiller23

downhiller23 RACE FACE RIDER

chrashing duh!
    i know i cant

17. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I have a PnS and a video camera and know of a nice 20'footer you could drop off and I will shoot the pics. We can even add a helmet cam.
    Better show up quick before the bravery runs out. :lol:
    :beer:

18. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I did my first 2 races last year on a bike I bought used on ebay for $330. It was 7 years old and I'd had it about 2 years. It was probably only worth about $200 when I raced it.

Most will have a better bike than you, but you won't be alone in not having a $3000+ bike.

19. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

I love the quote. I'd like to add to it though.

Dont let the bike, your weight, your age, or your sex define you.

I hear people say, I ride like those guys if I was 18 and 150 lbs. Thats just setting yourself up for failure. Just ride to the best your ability, either XC or DH. Most importantly forget about other peoples' views of you and enjoy the ride.

20. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Try it. Think of it as more of a personal challenge and an opportunity to ride with a bunch of MTB junkies like yourself rather than a race. :) Don't worry about your bike, your time, the weather, other riders.... that will take the FUN out of it before you even start.

True, but fast isn't always the laugh your arse off fun that you can have riding a 35lb clunker. :lol: