Ride Report WhitingHarding...and back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by andy aka rut, Feb 6, 2007.

1. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

RR-WhitingHarding...and back

I wanted to do a new ride today so I set out from the garage on the bike. My goal, if I had enough water, was to ride through Whiting, up Harding to the peak, down Joplin, through Old Camp to The Luge, to Whiting and back to the homestead.
    Ride time (with photos) was 4 hours and 40 minutes. I wasn't in any particular hurry. I just wanted to do some hours in the saddle and feel some pain.
    Riding to Whiting is 2.0 miles from home. I got to the parking lot and saw a Trail Angel getting ready to go out. I waved hello and continued on. I passed a few riders and got to the top of Mustard.
    Once I was on Harding I saw a Warrior's jersey climbing ahead of me. Now I wasn't supposed to be pushing it, but he saw me and I saw him. What was I supposed to do??! It ended up being Ned. We rode for a bit. He let me know he was on a red eye last night and was feeling like crap. He was also doing Joplin. I couldn't take it any more so I pushed on. By the time I got to Joplin I had just finished my second water bottle. I kept a third in my jersey.
    Joplin was a blast and in great shape, except there is a new downed tree on the upper part so be careful.
    Someone cleaned up Old Camp and that hideous ride out wasn't all that bad today. I zipped down to The Luge and debated just going straight. This is where I wish I had a DH bike. I get rocked on The Luge! Well I finally made it down, got past Cooks and started the climb out. I stopped to say hi to the horses. I think they were grateful. Not too many bikers do this-and they get jealous. Once I got back into Whiting it was all downhill from there. The singletrack is just beautiful back there. Another 2 miles and I was home! Only a sip of water left.

Attached Files:

2. guero

guero iFroth

that is some serious mileage andy. thanks for the great RR and pix! the anecdote about stopping to say hi to the hoarsies was comedy!

3. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    sounds like a great ride ... i totally agree with you about the luge! on my hardtail i get so rocked! jose thinks i'm nuts.

4. andy aka rut

Jose doesn't know! He's....young?....new???? rigid!?!?!?! OK, what do I know?! I know I don't like it all that much. It's a lot more fun with a BOB trailer though!

Serious miles? It was 35 miles. Maybe it was a lot of miles but it definately wasn't serious miles! :)

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    That's a lot of mileage to most folks out there. Especially riding single. But most importantly you got a great ride in on only 3 bottles of water! That ride would definitely be serious in the summer time heat.

I hear you about the Luge though. I've been riding it mostly at night so I'm extra careful and riding slower. Which I think makes it more choppy and bumpy. And I ride a hardtail single with a 5" fork upfront. :(

6. andy aka rut

Thanks man. I normally don't drink all that much water on my rides. I should but I don't. I use water bottles and sometimes I just forget. If I were to use a Camelback, I would probably drink more, but I can't stand the weight on my back.
    Yeah The Luge sucks! :beer:

7. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Freak!!!

8. andy aka rut

I remember the day when you used to climb on your bike. It wasn't all that long ago either!