Ride Report Whiting to The luge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by leondelmonte, Jun 12, 2011.

1. leondelmonte

leondelmonte Member

I had a great ride today from Whiting to the luge.

weather was great, not hot nor very sunny, which helped.

At Whiting the muddy area is turning into a mud pit, and right after the mud pit, there is the beach. so much sand, its a good walk.

Trail conditions at Whiting are pretty good.

The climb to the luge is overgrown in some areas, we need to schedule a trail work day for the luge, I feel like carrying a machette while biking, and use it as I go though the trail.
    I love the luge, fun, and in great condition.

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Thanks for the report.. Hard to believe those 2 short sections of Borrego aren't fixed yet. Its been almost 6 months.:?:

As for the STT.. I'm planning to head up there tomorrow evening and clean up some of the brush. I'll probably leave from the gate at Modjeska at about 5:00pm.

3. scoth

scoth New Member

Hey Kioti.....Thanks for your continued efforts to keep the trails looking good out there. One note though.....I would just like to say ahead of time that you cut too much brush away:lol:

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Rode it on Friday - STT was so overgrown in areas you couldn't see the trail - I was beginning to think Jim was out of town ;)

We were soaked from the moisture from the brush and covered in mud from the dirt sticking...was a BLAST!

Jim - if I can get away, I'll come join you.

5. krishno22

krishno22 New Member

Thanks Kioti. I've got a meeting tomorrow but please keep posting every time you go out to do trail work. I'll join you one of these days.

I have an idea for Whiting's sand. The city should lay out a bunch of empty sandbags by the trail. If we can get people to make a sandbag or two every time they go by we could clear the trail and also have sandbags for the community. I know it sounds lame but it's all I can think of every time I hike'n'bike through that section of Borrego.

6. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks guys. Leon, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just in agreement that pretty much everything in Whiting is in decent shape.. except for THE MAIN TRAIL!?! I like the sandbag idea.. except we should just fill 'em up and ride on top of them.

And yes, the STT's a little overgrown in spots but I'm not planning to go agro on it. I worked on it Friday night and got from the gate to the step-over. Should be able to get from there to the top of the big switchback (about mile 3) tomorrow evening, esp. if I get a little help.

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I might be able to join you for once. Are you walking in or riding? My bike is out of commission right now. And I for one do not think you cut the veg back too far on The Luge. Safer, more fun and plenty of nature out there to enjoy.

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

I'll probably ride, but walking's fine, too. Bring some loppers or hedge trimmers, old gloves.. maybe a rake. Hope to see you there.

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

Not anymore. I did a couple after-work sessions and cleaned it up. Last night I was joined by Julie (Revalimage) and her son, Blake. Blake is 12 year's old and worked hard, and was rewarded by seeing a big, brown tarantula and a little rattlesnake. We ended up walking out under an almost full moon.

Props also to Mark (AMRider04) who interrupted his ride to help throw some brush. Thanks, Mark.

10. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    We had fun sweating and working. We got there a bit late after the kid's golf lesson - parked low on the hill and hitched a ride in a pace car training some youth national crit riders to the gate (the asst. coach in the passenger seat said he was going to be at OTH today, hope to see him to say thanks!). Then is was time to push to the step over to catch up to Jim. We had fun running along the ridge trails (me with a back pack full of water and tools) and carrying two rakes, Blake was snipping away with the lopers.

After the step over we came across Jim's trimmings, clearing the trail and trying to catch him. Up past 'the wall' climb we caught up to him - worked the mustard and NASTY purple prickly things, then started our way back down.

Got to the gate under darkness - but with the most beautiful almost full moon. On the last turn to the gate, we came across a little rattler that was not interested in heading back into the bushes, glad I had a big plastic fan rake. Jim encouraged him into the bush and used the rake to block him while we scooted past. It was too dark to get a good picture of him...just think 'pissed off' snake - that'll do.

Blake got to choose the dinner location - In n Out had a line at 8:45, and since I'm in the WLC, I'm blaming the choice on him.

Sorry about the lack of pics and bad quality - only had phone, and chasing the weed-whacker (Jim) we worked non-stop for 2+ hours.

Fun times - come out for the WLC ride Wednesday evening to enjoy the trail!

Cute little video of the tarantula, biggest I've seen up there
    [video=youtube;hdF5r7qCzEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdF5r7qCzEU[/video]

My little trail helper and slave laborer
    [​IMG]

The flowers are better now then earlier in the spring with all the moisture - ENJOY!
    [​IMG]

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks Julie and Blake! Glad you were able to help and get in some animal adventure at the same time. "In-n-Out" sounds like a perfect post trailwork choice. Hopefully Dino won't be too disappointed..

12. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Thanks guys, looking forward to checking out your work.

13. amrider04

amrider04 Member

Its my pleasure. I wish I could spend more time helping you out there but I need to get back home by 7pm. I will try to join you if you have trail works on the weekend.