Ride Report Whiting/Luge: The Joy of Weekdays in Spring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Waldo, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    While those of us working in education have taken plenty of lumps in the current economy, there are still some great benefits, including the institution of Spring Break. With time off during the same week, it was a no-brainer for Dan ("KonaDupee," soon to be "Dupenz"), Kevin (Xhuskr, aka "Talks with Squirrels" aka "Captain ZipFizz") and I to go for a ride together. We all had the urge to hit Holy Jim to Trabuco, or explore some new dirt somewhere, but with the Rwanda 50-mile event 2 days later plus an underlying urge to relax during our break, we opted to ride an old favorite: The Whiting to Luge loop.

We met up at The Outback lot at 8am (OK, I slogged in at 8:10), but as we rolled out we decided on a twist so instead of going up Borrego Canton we headed over to the other side. We started with a run up the Live Oak singletrack, and I was struck by how such a familiar trail looks so different when you go the opposite direction. I've ridden Live Oak dozens and dozens of times, but was a new experience this time. I'll have to make a point of doing that on some other trails; maybe next time I'll try climbing Motorway :lol:

Then it was on to Dreaded Hill. Dan had never done that climb, and I hadn't ridden it since before the fires. Dan on his single speed took off like the jackrabbit he is, while Kevin and I were happy to let our gears do their job. I forgot just how relentless that hill is.

Xhuskr, heading up the final pitch to the top...
    [​IMG]

...and enjoying a well-deserved break on the Mark Reynolds memorial bench at the top.
    [​IMG]

The views were fantastic, from the hills covered in wildflowers out to the Newport Coast and not just to Catalina but also one of the clearest looks at San Clemente Island that I've ever seen from up there (wish it all showed better in the photo)
    [​IMG]

A brief regroup at Four Corners while Dan tried to cope with his Yeti Envy :lol:
    (actually he was probably thinking about vastly superior his new Lenz is going to be)
    [​IMG]

Kevin's engine and transmission, about to motor up Santiago Truck Trail...
    [​IMG]

...and motor he did. After not feeling well early on, he definitely found a second wind on STT, which is beautiful right now.
    [​IMG]

There are oceans of these beauties everywhere, and where there aren't, the hills are glowing with wild mustard.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, Kevin definitely found his 2nd wind! I don't think I've ever taken a token handlebar shot or the token STT/Luge flag shot, so I decided to combine both. Then the Two Stooges decided to get in the mix. Good thing for Kevin that my Garmin isn't equipped with a laser cannon, or he'd be singing soprano.
    [​IMG]

Captain ZipFizz!
    [​IMG]

Dan had never done the roll-in from the flag directly onto the beginning of Luge, but he made it look like he'd been doing it for years. Note that he's on a hardtail and he never lowers his saddle. Kevin also made quick work of it, and even I managed to fumble my way down it for my first time.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it's a cliche glamour shot, but having such a beautiful Yeti around is like seeing Jessica Alba walking down the beach in a bikini - you gotta take the shot! ;)
    [​IMG]

I'm kicking myself for not riding ahead on Luge and Serrano to shoot some pics of the guys zipping down those scenic singletracks, but we were having too much fun (and I'm too slow). It was a gorgeous day out there, and I think we only saw 2 other bike riders and 2 hikers the whole time. Needless to say, it was a great way to spend a morning, and it sure beat going to work!

2. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

:bang: That's sweet! Looks like a killer ride!

3. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Nice guys!

I need to hit that ride while the flowers are still going off!

4. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    STT is beautiful right now, only a very few overgrown sections but epic trail conditions.

5. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Rode Whiting/Luge with quikflip this morning at 7:50am. We ran into one biker on Borrego, but didn't see any bikers on STT......just 3 hikers. I gotta say, quikflip is the fastest I've ridden with. This kid is riding a 34lb steel Giant hardtail built in 1935 with about 1.5" of travel and climbs like a bat out of hell. He was also on my tail all the way down the Luge and I ride a Tracer with Fox 36er. Watch out Garrett Garcia.

6. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I didn't think anything was what I would call overgrown. There are only a couple of brief sections where you'd brush some bushes going by, but most is still the classic ST doubletrack.

When I read the first line I was gonna say that we must have been right on your heels, but it sounds like you were time trialing it. To call our pace today "social" would be pretty generous!

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I also did Whiting-Luge-Whiting yesterday, also aboard a Yeti. Borrego was great finally - all sand pits were packed down and easy to ride, the mud bog has a new "skinny" over it. Serious tractor work on Mustard - looks like a total regrade of the first 200 yards. My riding buddy (another Yeti) hit full leg cramps from overtraining early in the week, so he bailed at the top of Mustard while I pressed on.

Luge was awesome, except visibility is a little tough. There is so much vegetation that it's hard to see the trail - especially if you're looking for speed! Great fun nonetheless.

Icing on the cake was the romp back through Whiting on Cactus, Sleepy Hollow, Live Oak, Serrano - etc. Fast berms - no sand pits. It's the first time I've hit that return section without encountering another soul on the trail. Engage afterburners! Super fun ride in great weather.

8. guero

guero iFroth

i miss that loop. thanks for the RR waldo.

9. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    yeah, i guess i was over exaggerating.

10. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    T'was a good, mellow ride. The perfect way to celebrate Sprink Break.

Dreaded on the SS was torture. Like Hoovermd says, I've never met a hill I can't walk. :wave:

Great pics, Bob. We usually think to take pics of our usual trails, but the conditions were just way too perfect Thursday to keep the camera in the pack.

11. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    Your right about STT looking good. First time I rode it there was alot of burnt remnants, but now the greens and wildflowers have beautifully taken over.

12. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I did this ride today. Nice conditions. The first mile or so of STT was just graded/bulldozed, however. Never seen this done before.