Ride Report White Mountain

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Dusty, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Wow - Stunningly beautiful pics and an epic achievement!
    Very impressive. Thanks for sharing!

2. OldSlowy

OldSlowy New Member

magazine editor
    Inspired by this thread, I did the White Mountain Peak ride yesterday. Actually, that should be "ride/walk" because there was lots of pushing.

The first time I did it was about 8 years ago on a hardtail with about an inch of travel on the fork. This time, it was on a nice trail bike with 120mm up front and in back.

Having a FS bike didn't help much on the uphill, but it sure made the DH more fun.

I live at 1,000 feet, so I decided to spend the night before at Grandview Campground. It has the most incredible view of the sky! Not only can you see the glow of the Milky Way, but you can also make out the dark bands in it caused by interstellar dust absorbing the light. Would love to be at Grandview in a meteor shower!

I have a compact car with 5 inches of ground clearance--no dragging whatsoever on the way to the trailhead. The annoying part was having to drive 15 mph over the washboard sections. Fairly straightforward, though.

Saw lots of marmots and one muley--a buck with a single antler, only about 25 feet from my car as I was driving.

For those who haven't been there, it's an other-worldly place. Def a must-do trip, whether on foot or on a bike.

(Not posting any pix because they don't compare to the ones already in this thread.)

3. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

wow Nan WOW!!!

4. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

There is a marmot in the second to the last photo. He is right at the top of the rock, but here's a better one.
    IMG_4218.JPG

I sure don't want to disappoint ya. Lots of marmots, I even had one race along me like the squirrels do on the local trails.

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Wow! Makes me want to go on a road trip - camping near Big Pine for White Mt and Lower Rock Creek?

6. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Pat, it's on our bucket list. I've done it; the Weasel hasn't. We'd be game for hooking up. FWIW, I think you could do it OC-to-OC with one bivy without undue suffering. I might be talking myself into it for this weekend...

7. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Nice Mike! Starting Aug 10 I'd be game for something like this...my weekends are screwed up for a while so no road trips until then. I have no problem traveling light for camping purposes. Mmmm...biking above 11,000'! I need more altitude training. :bang:

8. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I know that there's a camp ground right where the 395/White Mtn turnoff is because I parked there before riding up on my road bike a couple of years ago but it looks like the dirt trail that the OP's rode up on starts much higher.

OP's, where does the trail you took start? Is it anywhere near the paved road that starts from Big Pine? I recall the paved part being about 23 miles to the Bristol Cone turnoff and hard but certainly doable. The lightning issue though...that was scary.

9. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    On Google Maps it looks like you'd take 168 east out of Big Pine, then White Mountain Rd north...tho I couldn't say how far north/where to stop driving and start riding. This looks like a likely spot to park and start riding.

Thanks for the info about camping. I believe there are several places to camp in the area, but I haven't done it since I was a kid so I'm not sure.

10. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    There is a bunch of parking at the locked gate and many camp there before the ride. There is a designating campground half way up the mountain with many side roads and very good camping. Two times a year they open the gate to allow you to drive another couple of miles and park at the research center. I only had 12 hours to acclimate before riding and slept very poor that night. Surprised I did not get my normal high altitude headache riding the next day but my legs sure where heavy.

http://goo.gl/maps/BGltB Staging area for White Mountain. Parking and camping OK but you will need a permit to use your camp stove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  11. mike001

Thanks for the info, Dean.

Pat, I'm waylaid for a couple weeks after 8/13, but let's be in touch...for something, White or not. Cheers :)

Sweetpea, hook a left off 168 onto White Mountain Rd, the paved road turns to dirt eventually, leading to the gate 2 mi before the Barcroft Research Station. Ride past the station and several more miles to the peak on the obvious jeep trail. Not during potential lightening, for sure : 0

12. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog New Member

More questions

Hi Dusty! Great pics and story. Been thinking of hiking this for awhile but biking it brings on a whole new perspective. Definitely considering it but have a few additional questions:
    1) By reading the post, looks like there are a few campgrounds. How many and how close to the start of the trail?
    2) You mentioned you had to walk in a few spots, how long were the walking spots? Looks pretty intense by the summit, how was the climb/walk at that point?
    3) How is the trail up by the summit? Crazy as it sounds, I'm a little scared of heights. Any problem with the trail by the edge?
    4) Just curious as to how much (uphill) did you actually ride? 20%, 50% 80%, etc?
    5) How long did it take you? When would you suggest starting out?
    6) Where does the trail actually start at? Okay to leave your vehicle? Permits?

Thanks sooo much. Congrats on an awesome trip and adventure!

Jann

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    No there is only one campground half halfway up White Mountain Road and it is to low to acclimate and may be hot. Many side roads with un-official campsites.
    My friend Stjunkie rode the whole thing. I walked 10% not because I could not ride it but just got tried fighting the loose scree.
    There is no trail it is a jeep road all the way to the top.
    All rideable.
    I wound suggest camping at the gate and get a early start. Mainly because of the threat of afternoon thunder storms.
    I would drive as far as I could then start riding. No permits needed except for camp stoves. Parking is not a problem, even during open gate days when there are a hundred people up there hiking.

Next open gate is August 18th. http://www.wmrs.edu/community/open house/

My next trip out there will not be bagging the peak it will be dropping Black Canyon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx_TDmCiAL4

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  14. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Here's my impressions:
    1) I just know of two areas to camp. Grandview Campground and at the gate.
    2) There are just two spots I felt like I had to walk. That was the short climb before the summit. It was chunky, loose rock. I'm sure some riders could ride it, but it just seemed like too much work. The other was the last downhill before the climb to the summit. I rolled down it and dab a few times, nearly crashed. It was more from the effect of altitude than anything. At sea level I would ride it with no problem. The summit isn't that intense, it's an easy hike up the last part.
    3) I am more than a little scared of heights. This was my concern from photos. But the trail is as wide as a fire road. Walking over to the edge was thrilling, but not nessacary. I had fun with it.
    4) Most of our hiking was due to the elevation. We did ride 75% - 80% of the ride, but I'd say it's 90% ridable for most riders. Good riders that are acclimated would probably ride all of it.
    5) I think it took us about 4 hours up. We stopped a lot for photos. I also stopped to enjoy the views, I had wanted to do this ride for so long that I wanted to really enjoy everything about it. I wasn't in a hurry. The biggest factor is elevation. And not being accustom to it slowed us down. We knew that there was a strong possiblity of thunderstorms, so we got an early start. We got to the trail head about 7:30, but didn't really get going until just before 8.
    6) We started at the locked gate. It's a long dirt road that was slow going to get to the gate. Next time I'd like to start at the Patriarc Grove (sp?), and eventually I'd like to start from the bottom of Silver Canyon. But having seen the what it involves, I have a new respect for anyone that rides all that.

Going from sea level made this ride more difficult, but I loved every minute of it. BUT at the end of the ride, I thought, "I don't need to do that again", it was a tough ride, BUT a couple of days later I was already planning the next time and how I can add to the ride.

If you're thinking about doing this ride, do it!

15. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments and for the record dft, obie, beowulf and dean are phenomenal riders.

Dan and I talked about doing the Black Canyon ride. We scoped out the turn off, but that is an adventure for another day. Riding up from Owens Valley is another level that this rider will not be doing. Being out there at night is a different experience and must see- the skies are like out of this world. LOL - no words to describe the majesty.

I would refer to Dean's post on camping, when I hiked it years ago, we slept at the gate overnight. Just know that there is no water. Now there is an outhouse.

The 168 turn off from Big Pine is 13 miles. When you turn left on the White Mtn road its another 16 miles. Yes we had to drive 15 mph in the Corrolla, it felt like forever. Its seemed longer if your friends are altitude sick and you are trying to descend (my 1st trip up in 05)

The trail was more rideable this time around. Before it was considerably more technical and patchy snow. I rode most of it I think Dan's estimate of 80% is correct. More walking on the uphill due to altitude, but rode almost all of it down. There was a hill of about 40 yards that was loose chunky and very sharp rocks - not wanting any chance of injury I walked both directions. At one point on a switchback a gust of wind kicked up and knocked us both off our bikes. I am a big chicken with exposure and it was not a factor. There was comfortable space between me and eternity. Hindsight - looking at the photos I get nervous.

This was a last minute trip, normally I would have done altitude training. Driving up from sea level is not advised. Even if you rode Mammoth 2 days before and camped at the Whites the day before would have been a better plan. Nevertheless, the headache and cough went away the next day and the White Mtn grin was tatooed on my heart.

I am thankful to have a brother like Dan - we have the best times.

16. Beowulf Shaeffer

Beowulf Shaeffer Titanium reinforced!

Thanks, Dusty, but I'm not phenomenal any more...just old and wiley! :)

More notes on camping and acclimatization:

There is fair camping down Crooked Creek Road (signed for Crooked Creek, and White Mountain Research Station - not the Barcroft facility). This road starts between Schullman and Patriarch Groves at about 10,000 ft and goes east. It's double-track...I wouldn't drive my Ferrari down it, but you can probably drive the average passenger car with care.

There is excellent camping in the Cottonwood Creek Basin, but requires 4wd, high clearance and skill. This road starts at about 11,800 ft, a few miles above Patriarch Grove, and goes east. There is one campable spot at 11,600 just before the road dives into the canyon - this spot can be reached in a normal car.

The top of Silver Canyon Road might have some spots. There's a loop to the south, just as the road goes over the crest and starts the descent.

There are some roadside spots between Sierra View and Schullman Grove where I've seen people camping.

Acclimatization is highly subjective. If you know you have problems, camp one night at a moderate elevation (Grandview), then one night at the trailhead or another high camp (11,000+). If you do well at altitude, Grandview for one night should be fine. If you're on a tight schedule, spend the first day 'seeing the sights' and do some short walks/hikes on the way up. Stop at the 168/WMR junction and have lunch, stop at Sierra View and walk around for a while, then stop at Schullman and Patriarch Groves, then sleep at the trailhead. Take aspirin 15-20 mins before you start riding. Keeps the headache down and improves circulation.

Lastly, re: climbing Silver Canyon - I would not climb Silver Canyon unless you killed me and reanimated my body!!! That f#(ker is S-T-E-E-P and it just gets worse the closer you get to 10,000 ft.

17. OldSlowy

OldSlowy New Member

magazine editor
    Someone asked about times...

FWIW, it took me 3:10 to get to the summit and 1:20 to get back to my car. That's including photo stops.

18. mike001

Great info here–thanks to all who shared.

Thoughts about acclimatizing... I've heard that it can't happen in a short time such as a day or two. High-altitude climbers often spend many days or weeks. Granted they're sometimes targeting els above 18k'. For quick missions, the widely opted mantra has been "bivy low, climb high." After doing several 12-14k' ascents, I'm a fan of that approach. Like many, I don't sleep well above 11k'. I'll take the deep uninterrupted REM and deal with it later, often deploying ginko biloba on the climb which helps curb nausea and headache.

If I slept at the Barcroft gate, it would be for convenience of the early start, not to acclimatize. I'd actually prefer to bivy in the area of 168 and WM Road, Grandview CG, or something in between.

Take it for what it cost ya. :)

19. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog New Member

Thanks for all of the great comments and advice! What an exciting adventure. Seriously considering it.....just need to commit to riding or hiking. Appreciate the time and effort for your answers. Great job! Maybe one day, I'll be posting my thoughts and pics too!

20. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    @Mike - re: acclimatizing...From what I vaguely remember of my Kinesiology (my knowledge and skills here peaked like 15 years ago) you're right - acclimatizing to altitude begins to have an effect on performance at day 3 and beyond for most people. I think you have the right idea about camping lower to allow decent rest/sleep.

OK, this has seriously been on my mind - this is the kind of soul-food ride that I can't get out of my head...I gotta do this ride! I can't yet, for a few weeks. If an over-nighter is necessary, I'd likely have to do it on the cheap/free, to the point of sleeping in the car...but I don't care....but if anyone else is interested post up when you're going.