Where are all the women of DH at?!?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by sdyeti, Nov 10, 2008.

1. luna

luna I Wanna Ride I Wanna Ride

Realtor
    To all the girls who did race yesterday at Vail Liake, you gals ROCKED IT!!

Great Job!!!

2. atomrat

atomrat New Member

I think you need to catch the females when they are younger.

How has the turn out for the High School Mountain Bike League been for female riders?

If they catch the bug young, then they may keep it going even once they start the family. I also watch my kids, Boy and Girl ages 12 and 8. My son will ride and ride, all day long. My daughter will hardly ever get on her bike. We even bought her a new bike this past summer. So it could be that it isn't in the female blood.

My wife isn't interested in riding at all. She doesn't understand when I keep riding even with a broken clavicle. I have tried to get her to ride, but it has been really slow. But I will keep trying.

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Indeed! More people should spend time on bikes, not in front of TV screens.

Nancy, i'd be more than happy to have you join me for a ride on my local trails.

4. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Julia12 will be dh'ing more once she gets her bike. In the meantime Julia has done the same as you, borrowed bikes. I don't believe there is a bike she is uncomfortable on. As her mom it scares me.

I will not be dh'ing because one of us needs to be in one piece.;) You can say that the mom thing has me content on fireroads.

My older daughter Stef is also good on the DH. I think Stef (16) has even less fear than her sis. She peddals up and down everything with the attitude of "I don't care". Unfortunately mountain biking is not something she enjoys. I think she does but likeS me to think she doesn't.

You will see Julia out there more once she handles her bike situation.

5. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Hey Steph. This is an interesting thread. (Thanks for the encouragement at the race, btw; you did great!) I wish there were more women out there too; I'm hoping the Fontana ride next weekend will spark some interest in racing.

I personally have toyed on and off with quitting myself. Part of the reasons are typical reasons - it's frustrating for me to keep crashing in my race runs, and I just need to work on my morale and be able to accept losses and wins with a smile. But there are more looming reasons. My dad, for instance, hates it. He sends me stories all the time about paralyzed people and is convinced that that will be me. He says I should focus on my career and threate s that an injury could prevent me from teaching. My boyfriend doesn't like it much either. He supports me in races (don't get me wrong!), but he doesn't like some of the other riding I do.

I think many women get overwhelming influences from society to not do this sort of thing. Girls who have boyfriends and/or husbands who do DH and families who love it are very lucky. Rachel Atherton is a prime exame; she has a super support system. Such a support sytem is an imporant psychological component of DH racing.

I am sure there are other reasons besides these for the low numbers. The recent local trend is probably more of a coincidence, no? Do you notice this at the national level? But I agree with you and Nancy and would be more than happy to help you guys host a DH clinic.

In LONG BEACH?! News to me. I live there, so I'd be happy to know about these!

6. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    In my case, I was doing a lot of racing at Fontana both last year and the beginning of this year. Quite honestly, I feel a little overdosed on it right now. I have to admit, it is kind of a drag to show up and have no competitors in my class.

Plus, working on Saturdays doesn't exactly make it easy to practice a DH course the day before a Sunday race.

I really enjoy the challenge of racing, and I know it's made me a better rider. I also love DH riding. I do, however, feel some inexperience and inadequacies in my DH riding, probably due to the fact that I don't get to fit that kind of riding in my schedule as easily as I would like. Just being able to ride more, and to ride a variety of trails would probably boost my confidence a lot. Right now, riding DH once a month or so is not exactly confidence-inspiring for me to race!

There is a lot of pressure on a race. All that pressure to do well is self-imposed, I know, but right now I just want to learn more and enjoy the DH ride without the race pressure. That's just where I am right now. I'm sure the mood will strike again and I'll be back at it in the future!

7. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    You don't know about the DH trails in Long Beach? Sorry, they are secret!:lol:

LB as in Laguna Beach (isn't Long Beach LBC?). You already know some of these, Sarah. :)

8. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    I've got a couple people are welcome borrow anytime. They are both smalls.

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

If some of the girls don't take you up on the offer, than something is seriously wrong!!!

Julia and Quinn, borrow Pato's bikes and come out to Sauce's DH day at Fontana on the 16th!!!

10. CaDownhilldoll

CaDownhilldoll New Member

work pt at 3 jobs and looking
    For me,, it's time and money,, When I used to race DH, I was on the Velosport team, about 200 men and I was the only downhiller!! We would pay for the races and get reimbursed at the end of the year,, about 50%. Since Im divorced, I can't afford to front the money.
    Also, I just don't get a chance to ride my DH bike,, so, going from an Expert rider, I feel like a beginner every time I hop on, What category would I race? If I race my age in Expert, it's usually no one to compete against, and it's not worth it to pay 40+ dollars to race myself. Then there's the Norba 60 dollar yearly fee that I would have to pay if I were to race the Nats. I can't get to those either, Ugh.. how life changes..I am trying to manage two households and a job.. I want Big Bear back and hanging out with my DH friends...

11. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    I think there is a serious lack of support for the ladies.
    I remember I couldn't wait to go race Fontana every year to see who Shawn Palmer was training with. It was like a sneek preview to the next years NORBA events. The womens division was deep in all age groups.

I use to ride with a couple DH girls at Laguna every thursday back then (Onca from South Africa). That was a fearless group of girls.

12. denmother

No one is interested in Female Amateur DH racing except those of us that race (and our wonderful sponsors!!!). I do it for the love of the sport and to compete. It's a hobby/addiction/passion for me. It is unfortunate that there are not more of us, but oh well. I'll be happy to share the skills that I have!!!!! My 1st DH race was on my Santa Cruz Superlight!!!

13. whybother

whybother New Member

same goes for XC Denmo. seeing it first hand, it is pretty disheartening. it won't get better any time soon, it will most likely get worse. i am going "all in" for my girl for 2009. if she doesn't get some help for 2010 i am going to knock her up and end the racing thing!!!!! :beer:

14. denmother

Many of them moved to Oregon and some to AZ!!! And some decided to start families. ;)

When Snow Summit closed for DH riding/racing about 75% of the people we used to ride with sold their DH bikes. It was a very sad day!!!! It's kind like the people who never leave the Orange Curtain to ride. :lol:

15. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

Beginner H2oChick here. Just starting to dab into the racing scene with XC but certainly interested in other types of competition. Part of the draw is seeing Sara, Stephanie and Nancy hyped up for these events and they make it look easy, but I know better. You ladies have practiced and earned every turn. I need much more riding time and experience before I can venture into the next category.
    For me personally to get into trying Super D or DH is having the correct equipment, then the availibility of "green runs" to get familiar with. Right now, I'm a one bike rider because that's all I have had the need for but I am willing to look/try other options.
    As for the lack of women riders, there was barely a handful in the XC race on Saturday - spread across all ages and classes I think I counted 7. Good for me as I swept the ENTIRE Beginner Class, but really - where was everyone? This event was so laid back event it was actually fun. (NOTE: it was also a more difficult course than Mt. Sac)
    Sauce (Sara) has a good idea about getting the ladies together for a DH day; test the waters for those who are curious and maybe re-kindle the experience for others.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

It was really nice to meet you out at the race...kudos on completing that course for your 2nd race...not an easy course (but a fun one).

You're right...there were even less women out for the XC race. I think the only contested race was sport women 40-49...there were two ladies in that age group. Other than that, we all raced ourselves!

17. denmother

That's why I suggested for the DH that they create and Expert Women open class. You might want to consider suggesting the same thing for future XC races!!! In fact I suggested the same thing to Donny for the Fontana races (for DH) and he is considering it. I think a Womens open Beginner, Sport and Expert XC and DH classes make more sense!!!!

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I would also be willing to let someone try out a DH bike.

19. denmother

But, is it a small???

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Medium, but I am not exactly tall.:lol: 5-8 to be exact.