When do you retire your tires?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by dcrfx, Apr 13, 2014.

1. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

When do you consider your tires worn out and in need of replacement? I know I can run these longer (pics below) but the knobs are all getting chewed, lost one knob on the rear (Kenda excavator), most of the side knobs on the front (HD) have cracks at the casing. Just can feel they have deteriorated braking and cornering. Knob "height" is still there but the edges are all rounded. Around 1k miles on these. Damn, tires are expensive. Thoughts and opinions?

IMAG0204 c.jpg IMAG0205 c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  2. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    i would run those on the back and put a new one on the front.
    those tires have plenty of miles left,
    put them on backwards in the rear and they become better for climbing also.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I'd get at least another 250 miles out of those...I run mine til the center knobs are gone. I may not be as aggressive on cornering as you are, though.

4. Old School

Old School Member

I just replaced a Nobby Nic up front that had the side knobs chewed up like your HD. I had 2-3 rides in a row where the handling just felt loose with a couple of close calls cornering. I wasn't sure if I was just having a few off days, but when I saw how flimsy and chewed up the side knobs had gotten I figured I'd try replacing the tire. I'm sure it also helped that I replaced a Nobby Nic with a Hans Dampf, but man! It was a night and day difference! Instantly cornering confidence was back and I was having fun again!

Ever since a bad crash last year washing out on a worn front tire, I've tried to pay more attention to when they just don't feel like they're cornering the same. At this point I don't try to squeeze every mile out of a front tire, I have more fun if my front tire corners well. I'm not as picky about the back tire, I'll run that one into the ground.

5. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    I usually like to let them retire when they have enough saved up in their 401(k), or old enough to collect a pension if they're lucky enough to work for government.

They usually end up on a beach crusier traveling the country only to end up in Florida before having their carcasses recycled.

6. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I replace my rubber every ride. Not only is the rubbers strength compromised but each time you use it your chances of getting a urinary tract infection are greatly increased.

Those tires are worn out though. send them to me for verification. 26'er, I hope?

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Dave - those tires look great! They are just getting fast. I know pros who cut them down more than that when they are fresh.

I replace the rear when I struggle for traction on a couple of my everyday little scramble climbs. I haven't changed my front since January 2012, and it still corners well. On the other hand, I guess I shouldn't be the barometer of wise decision making. For the record, my crash was not tire related (it was a pedal strike).

8. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    toast.jpg
    Chances are you're going to need that missing knobby.

9. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    They both still look pretty serviceable, especially for use on the rear. I'd probably still use it on the front too just by how they look. Key thing is how they feel for your riding style and conditions. If you don't have confidence then it might be time to swap them, but you could always go ahead and pick up a new tire(s), try them, and if they grip about the same throw your old ones back on and save the new ones.

10. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 New Member

For having 1000 miles on those tires, I say they look good. My Hans Dampf with less than 500 looks like yours. And my Ardent, will its about bald, but at the price they charge, I just keep on using them. Dont put that HD on the rear, or it will be toast in a 100 miles.

11. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

My LBS told me I was gonna fall on my head if I keep riding my HD (which looks exactly like yours), and my rear is pretty bald in the center. Degrading performance be damned, I like to use em up more before replacing. Makes the new ones feel like a better value : |

12. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I think you're gonna get a lot of differing opinions on this. I found it comes down mostly to rider comfort. I prefer super knobby (heeheehee), but I know a lot of riders who love those low friction (read low traction) racing tires. To me, they're scary as sh*t and the ride is just not fun when I feel like I'm sliding all over the place. If you notice you feel less confident, I say change 'em. On that note, I have a nobby nic I'm getting ready to retire. Some here could probably get a lot more miles out of them. For me though, I just don't feel comfortable on it anymore. I need something that bites.

13. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    Dave for me, I like it when the rear wears down, its a faster tire then and with side knobs should still corner. For the front I also have the HD and its not quite as bad as yours - if you feel it giving out then sure I would switch it out - no need to take a crash. And you ride fast and get into turns so you need the traction

14. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Chris I was gonna say you may not be the best voice for front tire wear after that brutal washout, but forgot that was a pedal strike :)

15. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    dave the HD is somewhat reversible you might try can flipping it around to use the still somewhat sharp braking edges on teh otehr side of the knobs as long as the knob heights not too worn and get a little more life out of it. Yeah tires are so freaking expensive these days!

16. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think, for me, it's also part visual/mental/confidence thing when I see the side knobs cracking at the casing and chewed up, just seems there's no way they can have (as) much bite leaning hard in the corners. (I added another photo below that shows the cracking side knobs a bit better).

Anyhow, I put on a backup set, another HD on the front that has less wear (and no cracking of the side knobs), but not new. And a BBG in the back in pretty good shape. Back to confidence inspiring cornering on this morning's ride on the twistys of Rockit, Lynx and Coyote. I tried fairly hard and couldn't get them to squirm or let loose at all. I may move on from the HD since, for me at least, even though there's still plenty of block "hieght", those rather small side knobs start cracking and they don't feel so good cornering anymore (as well as the visual/mental thing). Still think the HD when new to "half worn" to this point are some of the best cornering tires out there for various conditions. Probably that soft rubber on the sides that help them corner so well but wear out faster than the centers.:?:

tire wear c.jpg

17. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I replace mine when I start seeing thread.

18. Ed_284

Ed_284 New Member

I normally make sure the front remains in good condition and then demote it to the rear where I wear it down until the center knobs are near gone.

19. yamadan

yamadan New Member

Well, I have this belief. The tires will let you know when they're done. It can vary between brands, but you'll know by the feel when you ride em. If they start slipping and sliding where they didn't before, the case feels like it's not standing up anymore, the tires feel squishy even with good tire pressure, it might be time.

20. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I do the same. However, I don't compete or ride hard by any means.

I think, if you're no longer confident riding with your current tires at their current wear level, it's time to replace them with a fresh set or try something new.