What's with Trek???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dutch, Nov 6, 2007.

1. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

a lot of folks on here seem to not be too stoked on Bonty parts. Fair enough. For the custom build trek does offer many of their upper end bikes as a frameset which can be built super trick and light. They don't advertise this much but it's an option (although a more expensive one) We did a fuel ex 8 recently with xtr, hope minis, race face bar stem and post and king hubs on handbuilt mavic rime. Pretty sick bike all said and done.

2. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

Browntrout, what happened to all your follow up posts that now just read "....". Did management get wind of your antics, and make you go back and edit all of them?

3. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    What was the price tag for that bad boy?

4. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School

Dude, you called him BrownTrout, :lol::lol::?: i dont think you meant to but, BrownTrout, ha ha ha ha

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Some of the Bontrager parts are just re-badged Truvativ components.

Once you get outta the bottom end of the bontrager components, they are actually pretty damn nice.

For example.......on my '08 Paragon:

Race Light seatpost within 20g's of a Thomson
    Race Light Stem.....lighter than a Thomson
    Race Light Bar.......within 50g's of the Monkeylite SL

I hae a set of Race X Lights on my Chameleon sub 1600g's.....hubs made by DT Swiss/240's. 1.5 years under my 200 lbs. with zero issues.

I will admit that the low end stuff......Bontrager Sport and Select leaves a little to be desired......but they are also very affordable.

Bontrager parts may not be flashy.....but not everybody wants the Bling'd out ride.

They actually have nice stuff......you just have to look beyond on the name on it.

6. brownlandshark

I don't know. I am management and the owner of the company was watching closley and overall was ok with what was said. a lot of pm's sent over the shop thread and a lot of problems resolved. Some of it may have seemed combative but I am glad to have sorted out some issues. I truly have no idea what happened to my posts.

Came out to aprox $3100.00 all done. That's how I'd do one if I was on a fuel.

The funny thing is my Curtlo is painted brook trout brown. looks like baby poop brown but I love it.:)

7. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:
    Just wanted to clear somthing up quickly.....

We, (I) are not trying to tell people how wrong they are. Is that how it sounds to everyone?? If so, then I understand. I will never be able to force feed Trek and Bonty components down peoples throats. (nor do I try) The dynamic you speak of is us responding to strongly worded opinions, (sorry, but I care and take that stuff personally) then please understand my point of view. The internet is a crazy place, where people can share their opinions, and I am absolutely all for that. However, say something that I disagree with, and I have the right to answer, just like the person who wrote the post in the first place. So , is the dynamic just us caring? I belive it is. I have not, nor ever will spam anyone on this site. I am here first as a person addicted to MTB's. I know we aren't talking about us spamming you folks, but stating that we are quick to tell everyone how wrong they are......that sort of implies that we are.....at least to me, spamming people. Not the case.:beer:

8. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

Actually, I did mean to. Glad that it had the desired effect.

9. brownlandshark

So you are calling me names? That's nice.

10. katonk

katonk .

I dunno. That seems kinda normal to me. In my mind there's a fairly strong association with Jax and Trek. It seems natural that any general discussion on one will eventually lead to the other.

I think that's bad for Trek and Jax. Since the closest bike shop to me is a Jax, I've tried REALLY hard to like them. Ever since they've dropped Specialized, there's really no need for me to go there. The last 5 times I've been there I totally struck out and left empty handed. They only carry Bontrager parts and a very limited selection at that. I'm sure that some Bontrager parts are better than others, but I don't have the money/time to wade though a sea of crappy parts when I already know what brands work for me. I've also had some really bad encounters with the people at Jax. Most of the people are pretty cool, but a few of the kids (Salesdroids) working there are total douche bags.

Bottom line: I hate Bontrager (value judgement) , and now assoicate that with Jax. I've had some pretty bad expirances with the humans at Jax (value judgement), and now associate that with Trek. Really, it's a no win situation.

Sorry to be so MTBRish. I know everyone at Jax is just a regual Joe and probably knows way more about bikes and riding than I do. There are just too many other good brands and shops out there.

11. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

HiFi?

I've heard that about Oslo too, given its proximity to the Arctic circle. But from what I gather from the comments of some high-mileage travelers, it has an exuberant, vibrant night life despite its cold climate.

12. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    aw i got associated with jax just for starting a thread asking about trek.

I can't lie, there's a ton of things at jax that i think is completely big box and I feel like a lot of things (and a few employees) are really searching for profits rather than seeing someone walk out with the product that is right for them and a good shop to back it.

I basically started the thread because I've ridden treks for as long as I have ridden bikes ('cept my diamonback fester BMX when i was in junior high/highschool), and I really enjoy my current bike, and plan on getting another trek in the future (whether i'm still employed by a trek dealer or not).

I, like kenny(kdog4130) and brent(brownlandshark), really like bikes, and although they're managers and I'm not, I think the three of us all fall into the category of people that would much rather help you get the stuff you want and need, than squeeze you for your little red cents. We are all, on some level, just the grunts at the shop, and we're at the mercy of the owner.

Not sure where I'm really going with this, but I guarantee that if you came and talked to (or rode with) me, kenny, or brent, you'd see that we're not as bad as the jax label you're giving us. I'm basically a guy that's into bikes, and jax is the closest shop to my school (UCI) and my apartment.

see you all on the trails
    -bearded dude with a remedy 6

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  13. Vickie

Vickie Ride to ride again

Business Process Analyst - Aerospace
    I just bought a Trek EX8 a few months ago, I love it. Switchback Cyclery gave me a SWEET deal too!!:clap: I love them guys!!

Attached Files:

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Obviously, you don't know him!:lol:

15. brownlandshark

You guys are killing me8-[