What's with Trek???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dutch, Nov 6, 2007.

1. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:

Have you looked at their 2008 product line?????They listened to the masses and did exactly that.:)

2. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    though i dont like the parts or fit, they still have a good warranty and back their product up.

ps, still better than c'dale.:-k

3. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Jose Gonzalez who designed the new fuel ex's has put a lot of research and saddle time into the new Treks. I am still a hardtail holdout but I love the new fuel EX. I will say I'd love to see a nice stell 26 inch bike again from them.maybe bring Bonty back. But I think they have put as much research in the new mountain line as the road line. As always I think most of the full suspension trail bikes on the market can stand to lose several pounds but other than that I'm pleased with the new treks.

4. Esqo

Esqo New Member

So is there any truth to the notion that Gary Fisher bikes suffer from quality control problems after Trek bought him out?

5. brownlandshark

Trek bought fisher in the mid 90's. They seem pretty solid to me. I think all bikes will suffer from this from time to time. Espcially a bigger brand. If there are any issues trek is usually great to deal with in getting it resolved. The Fisher brand of the late 80's was tough to beat. Espcially the beautiful CR-7.

6. thephat

thephat Active Member

You know you do.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I stand corrected.
    Switchback Cyclery has plenty of heart and soul. From my experience, I only remember seeing Treks in larger conglomerate shops without character (soul=character?), aka Jax.

Bryguy's XC Trek sure looks sexy! It looks like Trek is surely sharing Madone styling with their mtbs, and the Madone is one of the hottest looking road bikes on the...well...road.

Although I still haven't seen any of Trek's 6" trail bikes on the trail.

On an unrelated note, I've been somewhat surprised to see Specialized bikes at department stores in Japan over the past week. They weren't in many of these stores just 6 months ago - from what I remember, anyway. But these department stores also showcase more Dura Ace and XTR components than most US bike shops...and they also have furniture, clothing, household cleaners, toys, etc.

8. jake

jake c('.'c)

A few weeks ago a friend of mine had an issue with a Bonty wheel on his 2 year old Fuel Carbon (sorry, don't know the exact model) and Trek replaced the entire wheelset, hubs and all.
    Although the Trek brand has never really caught my eye the customer service seems pretty cool.

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

No criteria. Just opinion. I can have one and share it, right?

10. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:
    Of course you can share your opinion. It was written in such a matter of fact way, that I was just wondering if there was a reason behind it. That's all.

11. brownlandshark

We've been waiting patiently for the 6 inch remedy and haven't recieved them yet. I briefly rode one that Jose brought by and it was light. Can't wait to ride one. It was a remedy nine............Jax as a whole may seem to lack character but we certainly employ some characters. You just gotta look. (characters= fun loving bike riding fiends who are srawny and funny looking but are there to help)

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I don't doubt you having character one bit. I've never meant any ill will to you specifically at all, and it's great to see that you're posting in threads that don't specifically relate to Jax. :clap:

13. brownlandshark

No worries buddy. No ill will taken. I got a thick skin. :beer:

14. katonk

katonk .

Some of us just more opinion that others I guess... :beer:

My problem with Trek:

1. Bontrager.
    2. Low SPM. Smiles per mile. They're just not as fun as ride as other bikes.

I don't know why they have low SPM. Other than the Bontrager parts there's really nothing I can point to. I think this is pretty similar to the "souless" comments by Lee (and many others) come from.

Having said that, the 2008 line does look pretty promising.

15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    EXACTLY. They should start using a wider variety of parts and they would pique my interest.

Just an observation, but I think it is funny that this thread started with a Jax employee asking why people don't like Trek. When folks have voiced their negative opinions of Trek, Jax employees tell them how wrong they are. There just seems to be a weird dynamic to all of that.

16. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    I didnt even know there was any other brands out there when i bought my bike, VERY GREEN, anyways, i bought a Fisher and my wife a trek we have enjoyed it alot, there has been some hickups along the way but i would say its more my fault just not knowing anything,

when i came to this site and learned of all the brands and flashy bike i was like dude, why did i buy this thing,

know i can say, im definetly on the fence, if i were to buy another bike, a trek or another gary fisher would definetly have a chance,

but this is coming from a guy with 4 months of riding experience i may change my mind,

as Far as the Bontranger thing, i have no issues with them, i dont know whats better or worse.

17. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

Yeh Troy...uhmm no. ;)

18. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    Well thanks for being an honest Devil:wave:

19. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

Well you ride better than me...you'll upgrade that bike and see a huge difference.... thats honest too :p

20. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    I think it's because the original question was "what's wrong with Trek" - not Jax. Somehow it turned into a Jax bashing session. It's good to see they have a loyalty to Jax.

Now - back to Trek

I'm not sure that Bonty parts are all that bad. I've only had one Bonty part failure and that was more of a service issue than an actual defect in workmanship. Granted, Bonty isn't as bling as say your off the shelf King hubs or what-not, but that's not the way to get a bike to a price point for retail.

It's like the old bike saying - Light, cheap or strong. Pick two.

PS Sam - Don't forget my "new" Juicy's tommorrow!