What's with Trek???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dutch, Nov 6, 2007.

1. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:
    Thanks!:beer: She's my baby!!!!!

2. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

OK, I changed my mind.

The new Gary Fisher Rig is sick, and could be my next bike. MSRP is $1300!

[​IMG]

3. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

I have a cheapo Trek 1000C road bike that I got for 200 bucks from eBay. It's pretty good for what it is, and I don't worry about it drawing attention or being stolen. It does seem like the company has a strong reputation for cookie-cutter designs and builds, but clearly their customers are okay with that and I have nothing bad to say about the company. In fact, I've heard that they're donating $10 to IMBA for each MTB sold, which is pretty cool. They seem to conduct business well and they take advantage of their marketing and R&D budgets to offer stuff that people will buy. I will admit that I don't think I'd buy a Trek MTB brand new (I bought a Fisher new though) because the brand seems too "vanilla", but I don't feel threatened by anybody who finds what they need in a Trek. And if I found a good deal on a Trek that looked interesting, I'd ride it with pride.

4. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    www.cyclingnews.com just posted their review of the new trek madone, 5 yellow jerseys and it looks like they're making their way back to the road forefront.

and kenny, since when did you get xtr cranks, and are those xtr brakes??? you bastard, let's ride.
    Jon and i might head up to chino hills on friday, depending on my homework situation.

p.s. and x lite wheels?!?! christ.

5. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

someone here just ordered this GF SS...it does look nice...like the color and saddle combo

6. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    That was me!

7. amor587

amor587 New Member

Cube Dweller
    Home Page:
    I like Trek.... I have nothing against them. In fact the 2008 Remedys have really caught my attention. I am kinda anxious to kick a leg over one and see if they live up to the hype. If so I wouldn't mind having on in my stable. My previous bike was a 2003 Fuel and I thought that it was very nice, fast and pedaled well, rides exactly for it's intended purpose (XC). Also I have always had good customer service from the Trek shop, so it puts me into the category of potential repeat customer. Just my .02 cents.

8. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

that's right! and it's costing you ZERO Dollaers :clap:

9. ghixon

Sales
    :)

10. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    Plus you getting a new Trek store right next door to your job ha, I think I'll see you with a new bike soon beside the newer Yeti you have now:bang:

11. amor587

amor587 New Member

Cube Dweller
    Home Page:
    I know, they had to put one just down the street from my 9 to 5, I know that I will be hanging out there at lunch. To make things worse the manager is my friend and his daughter and my daughter are friends.... #-o . I will have to see if he can hook up a good deal (otherwise I'm gonna tell my daughter not to play with her anymore :lol:... j/k.)
    I just have to convince myself that I need another bike! I'm always telling myself that I need a back up bike :-k:lol:

I agree.... that sure is a nice looking steed!

12. kloepo9

kloepo9 New Member

How are you liking your Trek? I am debating on whether to get the Trek EX8 or Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29.

13. ghixon

Sales
    I don't think you could go wrong with either option. I personally have a Fuel EX8 and a GF hardtail SS. I had a GT I-Drive and when I upgraded to the Fuel I wanted something that had a little more travel - 5" on the Fuel. If I'm not mistaken, the HI-FI is a 29er - correct?

Just think out how/where you're going to ride and on what terrain.

14. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Jax Bicycles in Irvine, when can I collect my Beer :drunk:

15. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i guess i'll chime in. I really like my EX9. super plush and still climbs like mad. I tested out a hifi carbon and found it to be a lot stiffer in the travel than the fuel, and didn't climb a whole lot better. that hifi was a 26er though, so that may make a difference, But i like my EX9 better.

oh, and shameless bike picture:

[​IMG]

that was when it was clean though ;)

16. lbmtbgrl

lbmtbgrl Crash-prone

I've been consistently disappointed with the WSD offerings. While there are 20 or so mtb choices for the guys, there are 2 WSD models and actually only 1 frame - the Fuel EX WSD. In the road bike arena, the WSD bikes typically have crappy components. They seem to think that women only want entry level stuff.

17. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Once again with the Jax bashing. The whole "soul" thing too. That's too funny man. Trek gets successful, makes a decent bike, dealers that sell treks are doing great but a shop with that so called "soul" can't sell em.
    How can you speak for most mtbers in the world about what geometry they want? I'm pretty sure You know what you like and don't like.and your Intense looks really nice. I'm just one rider but I like a cross country geometry alright. I'm sure Trek has spent lots of money on researching lots of different riders opinions on this subject. Being that most of the new fuels are sold out I would say it is a success.
    I ride a Curtlo but work at Jax...is my soul gone now? Where can I get a new one? Maybe the path has it for me..............(no offense to the path there. I like you guys and refer people to you all the time).

Come on by, we'll go to lampost and have one after work.on me.

18. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

Hey Hey now.....I carry Trek....do I not have Soul? :?:Im hurt.......I thought the soul was more about the vibe in the shop and it family of staff....we do sell Trek, Fisher, Santa Cruz and Felt...we sell a variety so shoppers can have a choice....Darn...I thought I had Soul Lee?

19. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:

I'm just wondering what the criteria is regarding Specialized shops having a soul, and not a Trek dealer. If I can remember correctly, Specialized is the company who was a bit bossy in what bikes a dealer carried. Not Trek. Well, I have since replaced my soul, with a "soul patch." Guess this will have to do for now#-o

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I personally really like Trek. But with all that tech they put into their road bikes, you'd think they'd do the same for their mountain bikes.