Whats up fellow dirt lovers? Im new to the forums and need some advice about shops.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RMLUVS2RIDE, Jan 5, 2012.

1. RMLUVS2RIDE

RMLUVS2RIDE New Member

I live in the Upland Rancho area and was wondering if anyone knew of a good bike shop that does GOOD repairs for a reasonable price.
    I have dealt with a well known shop in the Rancho area, however I am displeased with their work. I dont want to turn this topic into a rag session on shops so I wont mention the name of the shop.
    The shop I dealt with has a great group of guys whom operate the shop, but they are very young and in my opinion, inexperienced when it comes to bike maintenance.
    I have taken my bike to this shop several times throughout the past year and they just cant get it right.

Please post your suggestions as to where I can find a reputable shop. Im willing to drive a reasonable distance if necessary if the shop is worth it.
    Thank You all!!

2. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    welcome from chino

What is it that you cant do yourself ?

3. Jeepdude

Jeepdude Member

This may not be the answer you are looking for, But you may want to consider learning how to fix your bike yourself.

I had the same problem...I would take it in and they wouldn't do everything I asked, the shifting just wouldn't be right, the allen bolts were getting worn from using either the wrong size wrench or tightening too much, bolts were getting worn on he caps and so on.

Now, when something isn't right, I can only blame myself...plus I save a lot of money on repairs. Actually, working on my bike has become a bit of hobby and I actually enjoy it now.

4. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    +1

5. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    along these lines, but you may consider joining the fully loop ride and hit up either Dino or Fred to see when the next maintenance clinic is going to be held.

And Welcome to the madness.

6. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

The Home Depot GWA
    :welcome: from Ontario. You should checkout Roy's Cyclery in downtown Upland on 1st ave. & 9th st. They have reasonable prices and do pretty good work. Ask for Connor, he'll set you up right. You might also want to invest in either a Park Tools manual, Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance or watch some YouTube videos.

7. markus onetime

markus onetime New Member

full time husband, beliver in Christ Jesus.
    Coates Bike Shop is on Foothill and Towne. Been around for a long time. I take all my stuff to Jack, never had a single issue, also Cory is a super nice guy.

8. RMLUVS2RIDE

RMLUVS2RIDE New Member

I'm pretty mechanical. I have built many of motors and have restored a couple of old cars over the years. The problem is I have tools for car and small engine repairs but none for bicycles. After pricing some tools specifically designed for use on bicycles, I have found that in most cases its just cheaper to pay the shop to do it.
    The issues I am having is my wheel hubs and shifting. I have had both hubs rebuilt and they constantly come loose. The front has been repaired 6 times! Its not loose, but actually a little too tight and doesnt roll as well as it should. I just noticed that there is play in my rear wheel now following a hub rebuild approximately 2 months ago.
    I have had my bike in for shifting issues too and they cant seem to get that right either. My chain jumps around on the cassette while in 2 through 4th gears. The shop claims that my front derailleur is the cause. How would my FRONT derailleur cause the rear cassette to shift incorrectly? Im at my wits end!

9. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    welcome from San Mateo:welcome::welcome::wave:

10. Jeepdude

Jeepdude Member

As far as tools for the problems you are describing, you would need no more than the correctly sized allen wrench and maybe some needle nose pliers. If you are on a full suspension bike, try to see when it is jumping around...and when it jumps does it jump up or down a gear. It my be just a bit f a fine tune using the shift adjuster on your shifter.

On my 6.6, I found that I had to adjust the shifting a little higher on the high side than I liked, otherwise it would ghost shift down when compressing the suspension.

The only specialty tools I have needed are the Cassette Bolt socket, Cassette Chain Wrench, Bottom Bracket tool, Inch lb torque wrench and a couple of wrenches I made by grinding them thinner for rebuilding my front talas fork.

Anyways...good luck.

11. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Jack at Coates Cyclery in Pomona has been around bikes a long time and really knows his stuff. Corey (owner) is also great but doesn't get involved too much in the workshop. Rigo is another good guy at Coates that I've dealt with, he seems to work the sales floor and workshop. Only downside about Coates is their service can take a bit longer than other shops as they seem to always have a backlog.

Now that I live in Redlands, Don's in Rialto is my go-to shop. John in their service department is great to work with, and they almost always turn everything around in a day or two. Not uncommon to have them do the work right there while you wait.

I own most of my own tools and do just about everything myself, but Coates and Don's are the only shops I use for tricky stuff and recommend to friends/family.

12. Straykatt

Straykatt New Member

Underwriter
    I've been to every bike shop in this forum. They are all great! Albeit, hands down, Mike and the crew at the Fullerton bike shop are the very best, hands down! They have the best customer service, prices and repairs. Take it from me, or you can learn for yourself.

13. christrevi

christrevi New Member

Here is a link to best bike mechanic in the O.C https://g2bike.com/ Marco will even works on your bikes the same day. No need to book an appointment:) Give him a call you will be very happy with his services and great prices.