What's the fastest you've gone on a mountain bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moochy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    My friend and i were coming home from a cruise to the beach this weekend and at the bottom of a steep hill (niguel rd at crown valley) he turned and said "thats the fastest i've ever gone on this bike, 42 mph." I know thats not horribly fast but its hard to get going when the gear ratio only gets so high. I only owned a computer for a couple days before it got washed away so i dont really know how fast i've gone.

So whats the fastest speed you've measured (on your cycling computer)?

Road times are welcome too.

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    38mph going down 3 bitches at Turnbull. Think I coulda gone faster but I didnt wanna die.

3. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

got 43.6 mph going down 3 bitches there at turnbull, thpough i almost flew off the the tiny plateau at the bottom whne i jumped on to it, lol

or 51.5 mph going down the paved service road from cucamonga canyon

4. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    37.3 for me. That was on Modjeska grade road in between the trailhead and my vehicle.
    Non-paved is mid-20s somewheres in Aliso. It was probably on that last part of Rock-it where it becomes a washboard. But mid-20s on that section of trail is a heck of a lot scarier than mid-to-upper-30s on paved road! [-o<

When I really start picking up speed, I have flashes of myself in a full-body cast eating out of a straw trying to explain to my wife and family how I nearly killed myself just to see how fast I could go on my bike. The part of me that is approaching 30 years old tends to hit the brakes at that point...8-[

5. Ciaran

Ciaran New Member

Home Page:
    Going down Turnbull Cyn... The long fire road on the east side of TBC road. Not sure of the name, we always just called it The Rollercoaster... anyhoo... On a hardtail with some Manitou EFC's (remember those?) I did 45.6 mph running a 48 - 11 combo. I was trying to hit 50 but the run just wasn't long enough. I don't use a computer anymore these days.

6. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    I haven't used a computer for several years, but did use an Avocet the first two years we went to Mammoth to ride. Of course, my girlfriend and I had to see what we could do on the Kamikaze, so we uncorked it on our second descent.

On my rigid Fisher, I clocked 48.6mph as max speed, but felt like I could have been faster with more balls.

The next year, same bike and tread patterns but with a Manitou 1, I was sure we'd be faster. No dice: 46.4mph top speed, spun out at 46/12. That Manitou sure made the trails easier, but to look down at how it flexed and fluttered through the washboard at speed was very unsettling!

7. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Account Manager
    I've yet to hit above 40. My comp's been broken for a while so I don't know what I could hit now.

8. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    I've gone 44 @ Big Bear. Now you're right, your friend's speed of about 42 mph may not be super fast on a paved road, but when you're clocking 40 mph or faster on dirt, that's pretty fargin fast in my book. It feels like you're doing 50-60!

9. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    The fastest ive ever gone was on park ave. after riding at woods

10. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

my speeds were done on a GT Hardtail
    front: 24-34-50 (yes, that big :lol: )
    rear: 28-13, 7 speed

11. Ciaran

Ciaran New Member

Home Page:
    Mine was a GT hardtail as well. And I thought my 48 tooth was big. 50, wow! I imagine that the 50/13 combo would be close to my 48/11 combo. It was a 7 speed too... I had to use an 11 tooth road cog on my MTB cassette. It was pretty sweet at the time as I was one of a very few in the neighborhood who ran an 11 tooth. I was living in Whittier at the time and some of the locals used to do races at Turnbull on saturday or sunday mornings. XC and downhill. I remember running my first DH race there on a fully rigid bike with a borrowed helmet. Fun times!

12. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    Speed

I was able to get 41.5 on my Warp last night. I was on the the intersection of St. College and Bastanchury headind towards Brea Blvd.

At one point I did get scared because this was around 10pm and there were alot of cars. :(

But that cured my itch for some speed...at least for a while.

13. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Account Manager
    Re: Speed

Yeah I hit 41 on Bastanchury- the other side of the hill though (going towards Associated). I took that route to work this morning. Damn fog and mist made it freezing. :-({|=

14. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Paved, I hit 48 mph on my Jamis going down Hill Street in Signal Hill.

On dirt, I hit 39.5 on my Jamis going down Mach One at El Moro.

15. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

-- bret -- your a madman

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I hit 44.2 on a paved road once, no big deal I supopose. I hit 36.7 on a downhill fireroad--that scared the bejeezus out of me, I tell ya what. Felt waaaaay faster than the paved road stint. Thank God for disc brakes :-s