What the hell happened to insurance?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bing!, Jun 23, 2014.

1. UniGeezer

UniGeezer Adventure Cyclist

Piano technician
    Well said and spot on Congo Kid!

2. scsc

scsc Member

ED MD
    This ^^^^^^

3. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    ummmmm???????
    [​IMG]

PS, too many posts were way off base, then your post has conjecture, with no backing facts?

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

What facts to do you want? Insurance is now mandated by law. Lower income people now get tiered subsidy to purchase insurance. Some get almost 100%. Higher income people face high tier income taxes and wealth based taxes to support said subsidies, such as "....families with incomes above $250,000 a year will now have to pay more in Medicare payroll taxes."

Now let us refer to Webster to define socialized medicine

socialized medicine - noun : medical and hospital services that are provided by a government and paid for by taxes

So when a good portion of health insurance is paid for either in full or in part by taxes, taxes collected from another segment of the population, is that not socialized medicine? Dem facts good enough?

5. Formu1fan

Environmental Scientist
    lol THOSE facts aren't good enough for me. The only true socialized medicine we have in the US is the VA. ACA would be socialized if the government (or the gubmint whatever) took over all healthcare insurance companies, all hospitals and clinics, and all independent health care providers. Since hospitals and health insurance companies are still private, this is NOT socialized medicine. Just because FOX news says it is, doesn't mean it is.

Also, where is your fact backing your good portion is paid in full or part by taxes? that just means that the ACA subsidizes, not provides. The government is not providing ANY actual hospital or medical services, as the webster says. They're just paying for it with taxes

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

If you are going by YOUR definitions, Okeeeeey :) We shall agree to disagree.

The data is out there, I'd rather you work for it than myself :). Here is a smidge from Kaiser.

Nationwide, an estimated 83% of marketplace enrollees qualify for subsidies, ranging from 13% in the District of Columbia and 35% in Hawaii to 92% in Wyoming and 93% in Mississippi. (Members of Congress and some of their staff obtain coverage through the DC exchange and are not eligible for subsidies, which is why the percentage there is so much lower than in the rest of the country.)
    - http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-...ople-receiving-under-the-affordable-care-act/

7. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    It's not 'socialized medicine' YET... But you could not have said it any better!!!

It's those of us that are between $97,000 - and $249,000 a year that are now drowning and watching EVERYTHING we do increase in cost with NO HOPE of it coming down or our income or investment ability rising to catch it.

And there are so many other issues happening in our local economy and country that are going to create more 'hardship' relatively soon.

Health care is the tip of the ice berg. That is why we WORK to pay for what we want and need in a capitalist society.

8. bing!

bing! Active Member

Egad! I am not alone... http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obamacare-doctor-networks-20140629-story.html#page=1

If you can look past the gratuitous praise that from LA Times, calling the rollout a success etc., seems like my issues are not mine alone.

"More complaints are surfacing as patients start to use their new coverage bought through Covered California, the state's health insurance exchange.

"I thought I had done everything right, and it's been awful," said Jean Buchanan, 56. The Fullerton resident found herself stuck with an $8,000 bill for cancer treatment after receiving conflicting information on whether it was covered."

"This month, the California Department of Managed Health Care began investigating whether two major insurers, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of California, are violating state law related to inaccurate provider lists and offering timely access to treatment."

9. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

The real issue here is what kind of government makes you take money out of your bike fund to pay for medical expenses that right there is some real BS. I say we start a coup!

10. bing!

bing! Active Member

Sonovabitch, I am suffering here. I went from carbon to aluminum. What's next? Steel, ugh!

11. Formu1fan

Environmental Scientist

It is webster's definition. If you took the long one:
    medical and hospital services for the members of a class or population administered by an organized group (as a state agency) and paid for from funds obtained usually by assessments, philanthropy, or taxation

I don't see any state agency insurance!

You can't make these claims then say that I have to look it up. The burden of proof is on you

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Hey - you knockin steel??? I have a couple in my brood - they're tons of fun sans derailuers and gears.

13. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production

Yep - healthcare makes a mess and the lawyers will be the winning faction...again...

Everything will go up to pay for litigation all around.

14. bing!

bing! Active Member

SMH, you have to look it up if you want to know more (maybe you dont, thats cool too). I have no burden to explain anything to you. As I know that opposite viewpoints will always have a counter argument especially on a subject as sensitive as this. I would have thought that it would have sufficed that I agreed to disagree. I have no motivation to begin a lecture on socialized medicine or to dissect the obvious repercussions of an unlimited risk pool with an inherent government bailout and who in fact is insuring who. I don't think I'm being rude there am I?

Put up your argument and we'll leave at that. Ive been around the block. The strategy of extracting so much info from a counter party, then ending with an straw man argument or a simple "LOL". It' doesnt serve either you or myself.