What size cassette for XC racing

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by David S, Oct 13, 2009.

1. David S

David S David S

Hi everyone,
    So my friend and I are in a debate over what size cassette is appropriate for XC racing.

I firmly believe 11-32t is the way to go for the vast majority of riders.

He feels that a 11-26t cassette is faster, generally because it only has harder gears.

I argue that the 11-32t gives you
    1. A wider gear range and requires less front shifting due to this wider gear range.
    2. More useful steps between gears, the difference between one cog and the next is appreciable and useful. Resulting in a noticeable difference in your cadence.
    3. A 11-32t cassette offers the same top gear (high-speed) as a 11-26t cassette.
    4. I believe that the top guys run 11-32t cassettes and if anything, lose their 22t chain ring. Also I point out that the new Sram XX 2x10 attempts to replicate the gear range offered on a traditional triple chain ring w/ 11-32t cassette. If my memory serves, most of the articles I've read detailing the pro's bikes have 11-32t cassettes, I know Julien Absalon did at the Olympics at least.

He argues that
    1. a 11-26t forces you to ride faster, since you have no easier gears - he also feels that a single speed is faster for this reason. I argue that this is just compensating for a lack of determination on the riders part.
    2. an 11-26t is lighter and potentially shifts better. Also it allows a shorter chain and derailleur cage. I agree with him here.
    3. he believes the top guys run harder cassettes!

I'm somewhere between a beginner (Cat 3) and sport (Cat 2) racer, age 27. I've been racing for just under a year. I have barely adequate cardio, strong legs (good sprinter) strength and the ability to push myself to suffer. I also weigh way too much!

He's a DH rider who likes to put 11-26t cassettes on his wife's bike. She's a Cat 3 XC racer with almost a year of experience, she spins well (regular at the spin class, can hold a high cadence). I do not know her leg strength.

So please, INTERNET, help me set my buddy straight and save his wife's legs! [Or prove me wrong, yet again!]

In responses, please include your race category, years racing, age (if you so choose), cassette you run, and any points I've missed.

Thanks guys,
    David.

2. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I ran a 1x9 30 x 11-34 for about 2 years. I realized on the Traverse this year that I needed a small chainring again. Having a granny again was a life save at the Fat Tire Epic 50 a few weeks ago. Point of my story? I like having a choice of more gears on long rides.

3. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    A GPS or heck even a stopwatch should be able to answer this for you.

But hey I don't race much. I will say I've timetrialed Blackstar a few times this year. I was over 4min. faster on the geared bike with a middle ring with a 11-34t and spinning over my singlespeed cranking a harder gear. Though that's not really a XC race course.

33yrs, male, mid pack sport racer XC when I raced a few years ago. Now do mostly endurance stuff like CC, Traverse, VQ and Temecula 12hr series. Mid pack for those too.

Putting 11-26t cassette on his wife's XC bike. Haha, I'd call that spousal abuse. But hey depends on the course. If it's flat say like Fully I'd say rock on.

4. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Sram's new cross country race group has a 11-36 and 11-34. XTR, another XC race group uses 11-32 and 11-34.

I don't see closer gear steps as an advantage to not having lower gears. Maybe if it was a flat course and lots of fireroads.

5. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Guess it all depends on the course difficulty and course length:

11-26 if the course is mostly flat with shorter climbs. Just hammer up and on the flatter sections the close gear ratios of road cassette is very nice to have and really great for people who spin well.

11-32/34 is good for longer and steeper climbs.

Of course wheel size and tire selection is also part of gear selection. Bigger wheels = bigger gears, faster tires = taller gearing.

It's all about having the proper gear range and ratio for the course. There is no one for everything......pre-ride the course to find out the gear range and ratio you need for each climb and sections. 11-36 x 2 is really to give the closer gear ratios and have almost the same gear range as 11-32 x 3. So the roadies do know what they are talking about some times. :lol:

That's just my 2 pennies.