What really makes the bike go faster??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by DirtRider, May 23, 2008.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Oh Oh Oh We all forgot ..... Do what lance does. Remove on of the boys, it will make you more aerodynamic!!!!!

2. Gecko

Gecko New Member

Security technician
    The question, "How can I make my bike go faster? " is a question that requires many answers pertaining to multiple subjects. Bike manufactures have been answering this challenge and provided us, the consumers, with many solutions to this "need for speed."
    I am going to assume you mean rolling resistance. To reduce rolling resistance you need to concentrate on the wheels, i.e. hubs, wheels and tires. The hubs carry the least impact of these three, and the bearings being the key to the effiency of rolling. Don't put a lot of money here because this area has the least effect on rolling resistance. Get your self a good dependable hub and the rest will take care of itself. Wheels are the next step, the lighter the wheel the less mass and easer it is to move that mass around in a circle. The price to pay could be mechanical failure if you are an aggressive rider or a heavier rider, so you must balance your choice and err on the side of durability. The final and the most effective way to decrease rolling resistance are you tires, the bigger the tire and the bigger the knobs the slower the roll. The lighter the tire the smaller the knobs the the faster the roll. Of course you have the trade off of that safety thing again, and it all depends on how you ride, if you ride flats go as light and as you can, but don't expect to be in control when you are flying down hill in a rock-garden or cutting-a-berm. Tubless tires (UST) in theory give you less rolling resistance because the tire is not fighting the tube in the form of friction whenever the tire is flexing to match the terain, where as tubless tires just flex without interference from the opposing surface of the tube providing less friction and resistance. If you want to go faster down hill that is another subject.

3. emfc

emfc Don't taze me bro

Military
    oooh I forgot one: Shaved Legs?

4. supralight

supralight New Member

money tree in backyard
    lawl... spend more money.

but seriously though. its not the bike, its the rider (at least for me:lol:) ride lots, ride more than you think you should. ride in elevation, up hills, eat right (no fast food!) take protein supplements, it'll build mussels and may make you stronger.

these are things are that i try to do, but sometimes life prevents things from coming together.

5. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom New Member

Photographer, Bike tour company owner
    Home Page:
    It depends when u want to go fast? Wheels are one of the biggest factors on how a bike feels. But it’s not in the bearings any good wheel set has good bearings. It’s the weight and not at the hub at the rim. If you want to climb fast you want light wheels with light rims tires and tubes. If you want to roll fast on flats with good momentum you go a little heaver the rotating force of the extra weight will help you maintain a higher speed this goes for descents as well. Wheels are ussaly one of the best places to spend money. I’ve been told rotating whet of the wheel is times 3 or 4. So 1 once saved can be 3 or 4 spinning. Not sure how true this is?

6. Crew Jones is RAD

Crew Jones is RAD hammer head

bikes
    work harder go faster p and s

7. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

oh yah. I forgot one as well. A beer or two right before you head down the hill will ease your nerves and help you react more with positive instinct.

A lot of the time your brains keeps you from doing things you CAN do. You just need to shut it up for a little while. :drunk:

8. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

90% rider, 10% bike.

Though you will find certain equipment is more well suited to specific terrain, and will help close the gap on those figures.

For example, downhilling on a 7" squishy versus a rigid hartail...even an expert rider would have trouble keeping up to an intermediate rider with the suspension advantage.