What really makes the bike go faster??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by DirtRider, May 23, 2008.

1. LncNuvue

LncNuvue _

Go tubeless, run low tire pressure, dial your suspension to your weight and riding style, ride more, relax and have fun which will help you ride smoother and faster.

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

What really makes a bike go faster? :-k

1) Owning one with the words IRON HORSE running along the bottom/top tubes is the easiest way to increase efficiency 1,483% (Harvard Study) :lol:

2) In the words of 2006 & 2007 World Cup Downhill Champion Sam Hill, "Green is five seconds faster mate."
    [​IMG]

3) Spending 90% of your riding (even when uncomfortable) in the MIDDLE RING, will greatly improve your efficiency on the trail

4) Tires: UNBELIEVABLE difference in rolling resistance between (let's say) a Maxxis Minion (DH tire) and a Small Block 8. Sure there are tradeoffs- night and day difference though!

5) Wheels: A light wheelset (combined with low rolling resistance tires) can make a bike "feel" 5 pounds lighter!

6) Proper set-up: Stem too long/short, incorrect handlebar height, seat too far back/forward, frame too large/too small, incorrect bike for intended usage (XC/4X/AM/FR/DH).... and the one set-up mistake I see "ON NEARLY EVERY RIDE"... riding with your seat too low!

DirtRider- Sorry for going a bit off topic. Just trying to help a NEWB or two.....:beer:

3. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Actually it is probably the size of the balls on the rider...

4. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Here's a thought regarding rolling resistance:
    Run your tires at the recommended pressure, even at the high end of the recommended pressure.

Sure, you sound hella cool when you tell your bubs that you run ultra-low pressures. But honestly, are you so gonzo that you derive substantial benefit from the increased footprint? Most of us are not.

Low pressures will get you a little more traction at the expense of an increased risk of flats and a dramatic increase in rolling resistance.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I ride DH, and will add this on the note of tire pressure, the low pressure Idea is crap. I ride my back tire at 45lbs and front at 30 lbs. I dont need to run at 18 or 22 or 25 lbs to get traction, I learned a long time ago YOUR GOING TO DRIFT get over it. I have lower rolling resistance, and still stick turns just fine!!!!

Lighter tire/wheel combo is probably your first place to start for making a faster bike. Other than that, Proper fit, proper riding position, proper suspension setup. Dont be afraid to have a soft suspension, that will make for great traction. Also learn Multiple turning techniques, different turns will work better with different styles!!!

If you have cartridge hubs, and you really want to egt a low rolling resistance bearing, I have in stock the ceramic bearings. You can tell a diference on the road bikes, not sure if it would be worth the cost though for a Mtn bike. Figure a bill for each wheel for the bearings. They do roll stupid smooth though.

6. LncNuvue

LncNuvue _

Terrain is important when selecting tire pressure. When its dry and loose like the most of the trails I ride I prefer lower pressure. I ride 20-22lbs front, 24-26 rear on nevegals tubless with stans and this works great for me. Personal preference goes along way here. I'm faster up and down and more stable at that pressure - I'm also only a 145lbs rider.

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

That makes a big difference as well, I am a 245 Lbs rider!!!!

8. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Drugs only make you faster if they don't kill you first.

9. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    Bigger lungs &legs

10. kanga

kanga Active Member

Gravity... and .... er.... not trying to defy it!

At least in one direction... :lol:

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    What makes the bike go faster?

The competition.

12. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Rims are cheap!
    Spinning the rear on the SS sux.
    Run at 1/2 the recommended pressure!!!
    I do.

13. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    How to go faster: Pedal at a higher cadence or turn a bigger gear.

If you have a large disposable income, feel free to experiment with wheel and tire combos as much as you like. I highly recommend tubless tires for lower rolling resistance and flat protection. People will disagree, but this is just my opinion.

Don't have lots of cash? Ride more. You'll get faster just by spending more time in the saddle. Other methods include weight training or dropping a few lbs. For an example, put a 5 or 10 pound weight in your pack and ride with it, then take it out and see the difference.

Not into racing? Just go out and enjoy riding and forget all the nonsense about "going faster". Chances are you got into riding because you enjoyed it; try finding that place again.

My most fun rides are when I hook up with a buddy, ignore heart rates and training zones and just go "play".

Live it up, man.
    :wave:

14. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Some encouragement from bighit8. Go faster dude!!!!!!!

15. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I weigh 165 and I cant run pressure that low on my Nevegal 2.35 tubeless. I wonder if the wheel set has anything to do with it. Normally if I want to be running fast through anything even remotely rocky I'm looking at 35psi plus or else I'm hearing the seal start to break.

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

This is a major factor.

17. Allrotor13b

Allrotor13b New Member

Tires, well adjusted hubs and strong legs. And no brakes + alcohol in your blood :)

18. Allrotor13b

Allrotor13b New Member

And Zippy is right. Saddle time. Especially when you are riding alone so you don't have to wait for others or maintain a group pace. Go riding by yourself and just attack every hill and incline you can in as high a gear as you can muster 60rpm in. Don't downshift because you think you have to; stick it out in the gear you're in and you'll be surprised to find that you are indeed strong enough for that gear. If you can get thirty minutes to an hour of solid hill-climbing in, three or four days a week, i will personally guarantee you stronger legs and more stamina in two week's time. The guarantee is that if i am wrong, you can ride over to my house and kick me in the shin;)

19. LncNuvue

LncNuvue _

I run the Roval Traverse wheelset with 2 scoops of stans each and the tubless rim stips that came with the wheelset. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem at 20f/25r evening moving fast through very rocky terrain (just about everything out here is rocky). 35lbs in the front tire on dry/loose areas would be super stetchy for me - can't do it.

20. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    A ways back in this thread a few people suggested performance enhancing drugs. My favorite is glucose. But take it with plenty of water.