What other athletic endeavors have you involved in?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by profnachos, May 3, 2011.

1. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    I am curious about what other athletic endeavors you have delved in before or besides mountain biking.

Me? I have never been known to be athletic, so I don't have much to list. Been a bookworm most of my life, but in high school I was on the cross-country team just to have something to put on my college applications, but little else. Was horrible at organized sports, but I have always tried to get fit, but finding something that is fun and effective remained elusive until I discovered mountain biking.

Besides mountain biking, I do P90X workouts to work my core and upper body.

So did/do you play basketball, football. volleyball, etc? Do you find yourself doing less of what you used to enjoy in favor of mountain biking?

2. Captain Niceguy

Captain Niceguy New Member

Commercial boat captain / College student
    Used to be a roadie. Got into it after a major knee surgery as a form of physical therapy, and it became a bit of an addiction. Rode a solo, 6:32:33 century on my 16th birthday. Good times.

Then real life came into play, and I got out of shape. MTBing is my new stay-fit plan. :bang:

3. zman

zman WTF ?

MTB
    Roadie
    MX and i race Sportbikes

4. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Skiing, surfing, volleyball and rock climbing.

Don't really ski anymore (too freakin expensive)

Bad shoulder from VB.

Don't surf much these days (too crowded and the surf is really only good a few days a month).

Still climb - Mostly Trad, some bouldering

You know what I like about cycling and climbing? It is always there. A trail or a route are the same today as they were yesterday so you don't have to wait for swells, you don't have to wait for other people, you can always find a way to get away from the crowds and once you have the equipment, you really don't have much in the way of expenses.

I ride more than I climb because it's close and I can do it every day without driving.

Oh, and climbing and riding give you the opportunity to scare the crap out of yourself just about every time you venture out.

[​IMG]

5. guero

guero iFroth

in addition to my weekend warrior mt. bike status, i play ice hockey sunday nights and roller hockey on wednesday nights. i also bodyboard, but not nearly as much as i used to. (eric pretty much summed up the reasons of why im not in the water much these days) forgot to mention, i also snowboard a few times each season, and also played mens slow-pitch softball as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  6. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    I've always loved sports. In fact, my mom made me stay in dance classes for over a decade just so I wouldn't be too much of a "tom boy". I swam growing up, I ran for awhile, but knew it wasn't for me. Snowboarding was the reason I found mt biking. Similar to Captain Niceguy, I crashed 9 years ago, and had to have knee surgery. Stationary biking was physical therapy. I knew some people who mt biked, and 8 years ago, I wound up buying my first bike at The Path. I still snowboard, but it's definitely taken a back seat to mt biking. For me, it has all the components; fitness, beautiful scenery, outdoors, unpredictability, adrenaline, competitiveness, camaraderie, etc. So far, I've never gotten back from a ride and thought, "Wow, I shouldn't have done that."

7. joytron

joytron New Member

Surfing/ex-marathon bong smoker

8. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Started riding motorcycles at age 10, started racing dirt track motorcycles at age 14, got into road racing motorcycles in my early 20's raced on and off until age 39. Started riding road bicycles at 43, and mountain bikes at 44. I'll be 46 this year and have never felt better!

9. jimw2112

jimw2112 Member

soils tech
    Tried hockey, but only got good at the skating, so...Ice Skating...Skateboarding was IT from the time I got my first REAL 10x30 pool board (Sims David Andreicht) I went back & forth between bikes & skateboards through highschool and early adulthood...Used to boogieboard, Jr. High and high school summers...started riding bikes again in early summer 2009 when a spotty work schedule left me with WAY too much free time.

10. Xcdude

Xcdude Member

No work all play.
    MMA- Jiu Jits.

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I've always been active. I grew up playing sports, riding BMX and I loved all team sports and played some, but as I got older, I was too short for basketball, too small for football, I didn't care too much for baseball so I lost interest in team sports.

I had a Suzuki TM75 when I was 10 and used to ride the dirt tracks in Long Beach, Cerritos, Carlsbad, Indian Dunes.

I also started skateboarding in 1974 when I was 10 and continued to do so till I hit hard on the half pipe at the Van's Skate Park at the Orange Block and hurt my knee, this was in 98 when I was 34. I still have 2 skateboards, 1 new school and 1 old school board. I was more "vert" than street skating. I loved skating pools and ramps.

I also surf and have since 1979. Up until 2006, I surfed more than I rode mtn bikes. I used to snow ski, but since switched to snowboarding, I've wakeboarded, waterskied.

I'll be 47 in 2 days and I feel great, but I wish I can say the same for my joints sometimes.

12. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Seems like a lot of surfers here. We should have a San O surf and BBQ day, too bad beer is no longer allowed there. Before mountain biking surfing was pretty much all I cared about sports wise for a very long time. The inconsistencies of good swells, crowded lineups, and cold water is a buzz kill. But the few days that there is good surf makes up for all the bad ones. If anyone is down to surf san o or the trails sometime hit me up. It will give me an excuse to break out the old takayama... well its not very old just not ridden that much these days.

13. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    football & baseball in jr & sr high in the 50's
    2yrs smi-pro football early 60's
    part of pit-crew b-fuel dragster late 50's
    raquetball earley 70's to mid 80's
    golf
    scubadiving
    part of pit crew baja truck
    water & snow sking
    mt-biking 52 to 55, 97 on
    :):):)

14. tandem

tandem New Member

80's - Basketball and Bikes (BMX)
    90's - Basketball, Golf
    2000-2007 - IPSC/IDPA Shooting, Sportbikes
    2009-Present - MTB

15. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Played soccer for the city of Cerritos as a kid in the mid 70's. Rode ATC's and BMX in the 80's. Partied in the 90's. Started mountain biking in 2002. Work also has kept me in shape (somewhat). Currently I'm doing water treatment on cooling towers and boilers. Which means I carry 50 lb pails of chemicals plus tools up to the rooftops of buildings. Most of the buildings I service are old and do not have elevators. Stair stepping every day.

16. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    I am surprised that I don't see more climbers. One would there is a big overlap between climbers and mountain bikers. My friend's son has offered to take me to an indoor climbing gym and eventually out to real rock climbing.

He tells me that there's a lot of myths about climbing. I can understand that. I used to have my share of myths about mountain biking. My non-mountain biking friends think its all about crazy downhill dare devil stuff, but then they see I have dropped over 20 libs and scratch their heads. So this summer, I will be venturing into climbing. We will see how that goes.

17. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Trail running, speed skating, skiing......and of coarse paddleboarding...can swing a tennis racket and recently subbed for softball.....
    JACK OF ALL TRADES...MASTER of NONE

IMAG0194 - Copy.jpg

18. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    I surf also - actually going right now! I am down for a get together - that would be fun to find a group that does surf and MTB. I vote for any weekday in HB:)

Surfing is crowded on the weekends but during the week its not bad if you know where to go and about 6 months ago I got this short flat wide fishy quad that has really opened up my eyes. For small waves its unreal and any of you guys that have lost the passion you need to try something shorter and wider - makes the small waves so much fun! Now I ride this little thing in small and big surf.

I also play basketball and softball (work team every friday).

lets go monstertiki and other surfers - HB during the week:)

19. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Tennis! I have really nice courts in my complex (in the Whittier area) if it's too hot to mtb and anyone wants to hit (I am normally ~3.5 but I havent hit in a few years so I am probably rusty and closer to a 2.5-3.0?). Let me know if you want to play (after work would be ideal)!

Kayaking, hiking, weight lifting (anyone else in the area go to LA Fitness?) and am starting to get into running.

Never EVER considered myself an athlete until I started mtbing. Now, the athletic mindset is what I admire most.

20. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I bike for relaxation. :)