What do you carry with you on ride/Whats in your Camelbak?(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frozen208, May 30, 2006.

1. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Ps I read on the other thread about snakebite kits, these are comple waste of time If anyone here gets bit by a snake dont waste time rember what the snake looked like where you were and go to the hospital snake bite kits waste time and time is tissue .... my 2 cent on the subject

2. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I’ll play

One spare tube (only need one with Stan’s), air pump, shock pump, multi tool, first aid kit, Ana-Kit (Epinephrine, I had to use it to save someone’s life), GU, cliff bars, potassium and electrolyte pills, chain links, zip ties, Duck tap, REI Bear Bell, arm warmers, small Mag light and cell phone.

3. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Did you get bit by one?

I think it makes sense to try and suck out the venom with the snakebite kit on the way to the hospital, can't hurt.

4. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    My Camelbak has a Shock pump, Tire pump, Shot bloks, Powerbar Gel, some First Aid stuff, Chain Lube, Rebound Adjust Knob, Fully serrated folding knife, Pen, 2 Small folded piece of paper, 3 quarters (I can throw them).

To disperse the weight, I carry 2 tubes, leatherman, 5 zip ties, 2 ft duct tape, multi tool, Patch kit, Masterlink, 2 foot nylon rope, 3 rubber bands, Red Led flash light.

:beer:

5. Rockinthecasbah

I have been breeding snakes and have been an avid field herper for awhile I have read numerous studies on the different snakebite kits, the sawyer pump most recently and alomst all the studies show it to be almost completly ineffective. If someone else is pumping it for you it wont hurt anything but if you have to do it yourself all your going to do is get your heart rate up and help the venom destroy tissue. As for snakes around here unless your in the deserts your going to get hit by a southern pacific (C. helleri) , red diamondback (C. ruber), or a speckled (C. mitchilli) all are primary hemotoxic and the only way to stop the tissue damage is by administering antivenom. As for the old cut an X and suck out the venom types of remedies all they do is add to infection,

6. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Good info! Probably a dumb question... If one was really worried about snakebites, could someone carry anti-venom or is that strictly stuff you can get at a hospital?

7. Rockinthecasbah

It goes bad pretty fast like within a year I could be wrond and an average bite from a small snake like a sidewinder takes like 7-10 vials of it( I could be worng on the numbers but close) Its also super expensive. the good news is the snakes in socal arent likley to kill you just cause some tissue damage and maybe some residual muscle problems.

8. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    What brought this topic to mind was the Saturday oaks ride . Spookydave cuts his leg wide open on his platform pedal , I mean wide open in two places . I ride up saw blood on his calve ask him if hes ok, he says no, I look closer, big holes . So I get my first aid stuff out of my pack , neosporin , advil , latex gloves , every size bandaid you can think of but no gauze or tape . so I used bandaids . We caught up with the group no one had any tape or gauze. So I went home & restocked my pack .You probably stand a better chance of falling & injuring yourself than getting bit by a snake in the winter .
    food for thought

9. Rockinthecasbah

Yea for sure, the risk is a little higher this winter because they are out for the water because we had none last season. Clothing works great as a makeshift bandage if you have to I have ridden my motorcycle with bandages made out of socks a few times just rember to clean the wound good whenyou get home lol

10. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I think I bring gauze in my first aid. Double checking now to make sure for next time! I just got those Specialized Lo Pro Mag pedals and they look like some good calf shredders....

11. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

My first-aid kit contains, Gauze in several sizes from small to large (lots), bandaids in just about every shape and size available, antibiotic ointment, needle+thread (sterile), cortisone, super glue, eyewash, ibuprofen, acetaminafen(sp), aspirin, bendryl, sling, anticeptic wipes, alcohol prep pads.......gosh, I know I have more in it, I might have to go get a looksee to make sure it's all still good and verify it's full.
    And no snake-bite kit...they are useless.
    Interesting thing is, I haven't had to use the kit on myself since I instituted it into my pack years ago, but I have helped many others with it, so yea....it's totally worth it to have the extra weight and bulk.

12. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    nobody has mentioned the usually essential herbal attitude adjustment tool

13. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    The first thing that went into my pack was a first aid kit. I know a lot of people who dont carry one. It does take up some space in my bag but its worth having.

14. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Most of the same stuff minus the herbal essence

Tubes, CO2, energy blocks, knife, pump, irons, multi-tool, box wrench, phone, id, iPod, small first aid kit, zip ties, tape. Those last two can save your ass. Add a couple of Slim Jims, trail mix, and some sh!t tickets (wipes) for epics.

I rarely run a pack though. Typically, I bring no more than my ID, medical insurance card, phone, and 6oz of water to wet the whistle. I keep the water in a very small bottle that I stow in my jersey or in my shorts. I put my key fob on my shorts closure. This is my typical set up for rides no more than a few miles from civilization and lasting no more than 2-3 hours.

If I flat or have a mechanical that I can't fix, then too bad. I just take the bike and run with it.

As a kid I would go skateboarding all day long with a couple of bucks to buy a taco and a soda. Nothing much has changed!!!

15. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

One item that I carry (that I wish I had when I needed it) is an extra dérailleur hanger. I crashed hard once at Laguna and seriously bent my hanger. Didn't have a replacement and couldn't bend back the busted one very well. Changed my plans for that day drastically :(

I carry most of what you guys all have down, but I haven't been on any epic rides yet so it's kinda minimal: 3x tubes, pump, SRAM powerlink and some extra links, multitool w/ chainbreaker, 2x clif bars, 2x GUs, light jacket, and I start out with 3 liters of water too! :)

I will start carrying a knife too, because that sounds like a very useful implement if things REALLY go wrong... and maybe a mini flashlight as well.

16. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    Thats the latest item I added to my pack.

17. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    -1.5 Liter Camel Bak
    -Alien Ware Multi-tool (this tool has saved my azz a few times already)
    -Two tire iron tools (the mini ones)
    -Hurricane mini pump
    -spare tube
    -tire patch kit
    -energy bar depending on the length of the ride
    -ID
    -car keys
    -cell phone just in case

I would like to get a different pack that will allow me to carry my protective gear.

18. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    -CB multi-tool
    -tire levers
    -2 tubes
    -patches
    -2 power links
    -pump
    -1x field dressing (good for deep cuts)
    -1x triangular bandage (immobilize shoulder/splint)
    -gauze pads
    -antibiotic gel (neosporin)
    -anywhere from 2-10 Gu
    -cell phone
    -arm warmers
    -leg warmers

Optional (winter) Usually bring one or more of these items.
    -tshirt (put under wet jersey for downhills)
    -xtra gloves
    -fleece vest
    -heavy polypro shirt

19. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I just count on everybody having the stuff to save my arse when I ride, LOL. When I ride alone I pack like a boy scout.

20. Do Work

Do Work Eddie would go...

Account Executive
    Show and tell...My Chamel Pack:

100oz. H2O
    Cell Phone
    1 Extra Tube
    Crash Pack
    Velcro tabs (supposed to be used for mounting a frame pump but figured they might work for something else in the future)
    Zip Ties
    Serrated Knife (after seeing what some of you guys carry i need one to be able to defend myself in case one of the group goes postal :-s)
    Small needle nose Pliers
    Duc Tape
    Rubber bands
    2 Cliff bars
    2 Energy shots
    3 tire levers
    Patch kit
    2 Quick links
    Crank Bros Multi-tool
    Co2 inflator w/2 refills
    Crank Bros. Mini Pump (just in case)
    1 Mini-Mag lite w/batteries

Soon to be added:
    some extra bike parts, bolts etc.
    extra tube (read in a magazine somewhere that worst case you can fill a tube with a whole bunch of leaves and shrubs to get you back...id rather have an extra tube)
    One of those bracelts that have your emrgency info(gonna attach it to my pack cause id probably forget to wear it #-o)
    Copies of my medical card and I.D. since i dont bring my wallet
    Some $$$ or start wearing some gold jewelry that i can use to barder
    A whistle or mini-horn
    Extra shirt or material