What a f#@ked up economy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smokedtitan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Looking for work: Landscape Designer / Architect

I was recently laid-off by one of the top Landscape Architecture Design and Planning firms in the world. I'm looking for work in my field but I can also do photography, logo design, branding, way-finding signage, or anything else creative / design oriented. I'm proficient in AutoCAD 2D / 3D, Adobe Creative Suite and MS Office. I'm interested in both full-time, part-time and contract based work. Please keep an ear out for me. Thanks! [email protected]

2. Soc Eye

Soc Eye New Member

3. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Amen brother! Are you running in 2012? Thanks for the history field trip!:bang:

Barry

4. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Well said. As a fellow rider said the other day, "We have less rights than a raccoon."

The government needs to be reminded of its role.

5. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    people who don't like big gov't should live on a small island.

really? what we need is less regulation in the banking industry, mortgage industry, oil industry, auto, etc...they're doing so well on their own. and individuals aren't much better--they just tend to concentrate wealth. the reagan experiment is officially over.

and i don't think there's a real-world model for libertarianism. i don't think there are any functional answers on either extreme of the economic philosophy spectrum.

let's not let the bad economy cloud the fact that we have more freedom than 99% of the people on the planet.

6. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Personal freedoms and industrial regulation are mutually exclusive. Let's not let the fact that the Fed is printing money until it runs out of blank paper cloud the fact that we are all "neo-sharecroppers".

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Amen to that...i challenge anybody in a third world country to find a bike shop with I9s or DW Link frame

bunch of whiny azz blame "the man" world we live in

8. Soc Eye

Soc Eye New Member

Illegal immigrants actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they extract in social services.

Activities the undocumented tend to participate in:
    Working, consuming goods at McDonald's, Target, supermarkets with 'real' money, paying rent, contributing to your social security.

Activities the undocumented tend not to participate in:
    Attend a public university, foreclose on property, play the stock market, retire.

Yes you are, and it is misdirected.

9. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

All of these points, in my opinion, are moot. Illegal is illegal. Right and wrong is a different discussion. Productive or non productive is a different discussion. Burden or contribution is a different discussion. Until the laws are changed, illegal immigration should not be permitted, nor accepted.

10. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    Based on what statistics I may ask?

11. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    its true...i read that in a blog on the internet

12. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    So now you live in the wheat bread, semi-educated, catholic belt, segregated, quiet-racist southwest. What's the difference? Be careful about your generalizations...for every quiet racist in the mid-west, I'm quiet certain you can find at least one here in good 'ol California. And they're not all white, as much as you may not want to admit.

13. Silver

Silver New Member

Which is why Sweden, the Netherlands, and Canada, for example, are places that no sane person would ever want to live, and Somalia is a libertarian paradise.

14. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    That makes it official I guess....a blog.

15. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

And yet another discussion would be "statement without solution." Just what are you trying to say here? Illegal immigration isn't permitted, hence the "illegal" part. As for acceptance, well, best of luck surviving the exponential $hitstorm any abrupt change would bring.

Well heck, I'm almost on board--but just one question:

16. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I enjoy both the Netherlands and Canada. And I consider myself sane. For the most part.

17. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

well what does everyone expect??

everyone wants to buy what's cheep. they don't care where it's made.
    no one wants to get their hands dirty any more.

hop in your offshore built car and scamper off to your "I.T." job and think about it....... oh wait, your "I.T." job is gone offshore now too......

You would think with this crappy economy it would be easy for me to hire a hard working American. Not the case, but the ones that show up sure "expect" the world. To bad they don't even have the skill set to mow their own lawn.

18. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    "illegal is illegal" is wildly naive. it has benefited the government for decades to conveinently ignore the laws or apply them in a superficial way.

the republicans were in charge for most of most of the last eight years (decades in congress) and did essentially nothing to solve the problem except for building a partial fence. that should tell you something.

and, again, it's probably a wash at the state level, but the federal gov't wins big time- cheap labor with little or no regulation required, and billions go into taxes (especially social security) that illegals will never benefit from.

at the same time, border patrol agents can shoot people in the back (well, ass), destroy evidence, attempt to cover it up, receive a mandatory sentence, but get commuted by bush. baffling...

and, dfloc- i'm well aware that racism exists everywhere and across demographics. it's just that in the midwest/south it's a tradition and it's widespread (gasp- even in my own family).

i'm really done with this subject. ya'll that don't agree will have 8 years-probably more-to bitch and moan. good luck.

19. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Sorry, your post is rife with generalisations and is less than accurate.

I'm a professional woodworker, and get my hands dirty on a regular basis. I do not buy Chinese made materials or tools. I drive a Ford F-250 pick-up. I do not expect the world... only a decent wage after i've worked hard and done a good job. I have multiple skills with tools of all kinds and am skilled at many sorts of work, including lawn mowing.

As i'm just one of a hundred or so people on the site right now, it's safe to say your theories are questionable at best, sir.

20. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

There are always exceptions to the rule.

However, the current economic state of China would say otherwise to your arguement.

Based on what statistics may I ask are you basing your arguement? ;-)

One statistic that is correct is the fact that illegals do contribute to Social Security but never retire. You can get a fake i.d. and fake Social number to work, however it is beyond difficult to ever collect on that money.