What a bad month...one thing and now another

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by 2wheel_lee, Dec 25, 2007.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

On Friday evening, December 14, I went to the Orange Y BMX track. I did a couple light warm-up runs. After feeling that I was warmed up enough, I went for a full-on gate start and practice lap. Upon the first pedal stroke out of the gate, I felt an extreme amound of pain in my lower back. I coasted to the middle of the track area. I couldn't get off the bike because I could hardly move. After about 10 minutes, I waddled off the track (still straddling the bike) and found a bench to sit on. I concluded that I couldn't ride for the remainder of the night, so I pulled out of the evening's race. A kid who was working registration helped load my bike for me.

Since that time, I've been suffering from a lot of lower back pain. I was off of work for most of that week, because driving and sitting were excrutiating. Standing actually helped, which is why I was able to go to the STR swap meet.

My gf and I had planned to go to Moab, departing on Saturday, Dec 22, but I simply couldn't sit and drive for that long. I was also worried about what I could/would try on a bike. :( Surprisingly, I was able to kind of ride a demo bike while at The Path during the week with only moderate pain. However, I experienced the most pain for the first 4 hours or so in the morning. It really sucked having to get up in the middle of the night to go pee. But I did, anyway. We decided to cancel or postpone the trip until I felt better - perhaps leaving on or around the 25th.

Well, on the evening of the 23rd, I started getting other pains in my back - ironically, at the same time the original back pain was becoming tolerable. These were also excrutiating at times, but mostly at night. So since we couldn't go on our trip, I suggested that we go ride BMX bikes at the beach on Christmas. However, today, the pains were more frequent, and they lasted longer. My gf and my father talked me into going to the ER today - yeah, going to the ER on Christmas really sucks. The verdict? I have a kidney stone that I need to try to pass. At least they gave me some good drugs! The doctor said that the kidney stone issue is not related to the back injury - just bad timing. :(

Although I'm hopeful the stone will pass soon enough. I'm most concerned with the upcoming race in Fontana on the 12th/13th. I have doubts that my back will be up for the DH race, let alone the 4x race (which would have been my first). Pulling out of the gate in 4x does the exact same thing that hurt my back in the first place.:(

I have this whole week off of work, and I can't ride. That really sucks.

2. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Really sorry to hear that. Did you get a back Xray while you were in the ER?

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Ohnooooo! That sucks about Moab. I'd be pretty bummed (as you probably are) if that would happen. On the bright side ... you're off work and know you aren't riding - so just relax and bask in the bliss of doing nothing. :)

4. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I had the same problem. As painful as it was I just kept stretching.Now on any ride where I feel discomfort, I stop and stretch.I have been going to the Chiropractor, sound like you have a dis out of place or a pinched cyatic nerve.

5. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    That sucks! Rumor has it that passing a kidney stone is the only pain that almost brought Crash Maxwell to tears. ;)

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Kidney stones suck and are rediculously painful. Passed one a few year back over New Years....same thing, spent NY day at the ER...that was fun.

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I bet that cheered Lee right up! :lol:

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I haven't been to my knees yet, but the job's not over yet and I still have percoset.

Although I did mention the back, it's not really an ER thing (at this time - it was before, though). I fear going to the doctor or hospital, because the times I do go usually end up with a surgery or something bad. I know, that sounds like a lame fear, but I'd rather do a 10-foot drop to flat. #-o

A coworker gave me a book about "how to treat your own back," and from what it said, my symptoms indicate that it is something that will heal in time with proper exercises and stretching, which I've been doing. And oh it feels so good afterward.

As George said, it's good on one side that I have plenty of time off of work to help recover, which is good because I don't have to miss much work. But on the same token, it sucks that I have so much time, but I can't ride!

On a side note, since I can't sit for very long, I've been getting better at kneeling (on a pillow). Although it greatly helps the back pain, I think it's also improved some flexibility in my legs.

9. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Lee, all I can say is "ouch!!!" good luck my wheelie crazy friend and hopefully see you on the trail soon!

10. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Sorry to hear the news Lee. That sucks!

I hope you recover well and without surgery!

11. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Lee- With regard to the kidney stones, did your DR. mention anything about using sound waves to break them up? How 'bout pills that "help" to dissolve the stone? Worth a shot.

With regard to your back pain, what EXACTLY is wrong with it? Muscular? Disk? Nerve? There are MANY treatments (i.e. traction, inversion, massage etc.) that could help! Let's just say a few STR member may "know" someone... who knows someone.... that knows a thing or two about treating athletic injuries! Cough sports trainers... Cough sports surgeons cough! I will PM you!

If your DH days are over, I will give you $700 (cash) for the Intense M3! :lol:

Get well soon! :beer:

12. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I passed a kidney stone about 7 years ago--and I still remember that pain!!

Sorry to hear it bro. I'll be sending some healing vibes your way.:beer:

13. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Grasshopper Lee

Welcome to the human race. Sooner or later most people experience some type of back pain... why do you think chiropractors came to be? As Dino said, there are so many different types of back pain, from disc degeneration to pinched nerves to ruptured discs. X-rays really don't tell the whole story... usually will take an MRI. Sometimes all you have to do is bend over to tie your shoe and suddenly you can't straigthen up. I feel for you since I've been there... presently recovering from bending over to clean out cat box... although, I'm sure that the single speeding is not helping matters.

Continue to stretch for the back .... and become familar with vitamin I (IBprofin) ... and welcome to growing older...

14. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Sorry to hear Lee. This happened to me about three weeks ago! The pain is no fun! Hope you feel better! :beer:

15. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    when i was in 6th grade i had something similar. i came in from playing at recess and all of a sudden bam it hit me
    i describe it as pins and needles feeling. not sure if its the same. the doctor said i tore or sprained some of my back muscles and there wasnt really anything to do except wait. heating it with a heating pad really helped but to this day sometimes i wake up with a stiff back even though im still young

16. Shannon

Shannon ........

Ouch! I've had 4 kidney stones, my first one at 16. Not fun. My doctors have all told me the best thing to do is keep active, even though it hurts like hell. Staying active helps the stone pass faster.

17. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    So sorry to hear this Lee. I have had some experience with nerves in the back, and stretching has helped tremendously. Hope passing the stone, and getting over these back pains goes as well as it possibly can, can't wait to see you out on the bike again.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I've had back pains before from lifting something wrong, and also for seemingly nothing at all. I expected this to have been nearly all better within a day or two, as were the cases previously.

I don't really know what's wrong with the back yet, but I am glad to say that it's getting better. As someone mentioned, being up and about has actually been the most relief to pain for my back. I've been rebuilding bikes in the garage (including a full overhaul on a friend's 1973 Schwinn Stingray), and even putting up some plywood on the garage wall. Ironically, none of these activities hurt. Yesteray, I spent the afternoon walking around Knott's Berry Farm (but no rides). What hurts the most is sitting down and getting up in the morning. Fortunately, in the past couple days, my back has improved considerably.

Yup, I've been taking a lot of ibupofin and using a heating pad at night.

For the past 45 or so minutes, I was in excruciating pain again in the kidney. I was a lot closer to Crash Maxwell's going to the knees feeling. I suspect I may have more than one stone to pass. If it doesn't get better, I'll go to the doctor to explore other options.

My body is surely showing signs of age (only 39), but I'll be damned if my mine will catch up! (except for memory, which I've been losing over the past few years)

Thank you for all the well wishing. It really does mean a lot not only having the best girlfriend, but it's also great to have a lot of caring friends such as yourselves.:beer:

19. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I care! I would be more than willing to keep the M3 and Uzzi at my house however long you need me to. The BIKES should not be subjected to the mental trauma of watching you in such pain! [-X

No need to thank me! :beer:

20. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    You are an inspiration to us all Dino. I do not think I could subject myself to the same sacrifices you are willing to make.