Well, soon to be on the DL

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by BSki, Feb 5, 2008.

1. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    Just got word that the shoulder is more jacked up then just a rotator cuff. Turns out to be a Glenoid Labrum Tear

Anyone ever go through that and can shed practical input on recovery time? This article is saying 6 weeks with a sling.....

Hell, I wont even be able to play Wii.

2. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I know of two who had the surgery. One is a 67 y/o who is completely out of shape. The other is a 28 y/o stud. Both needed 6 weeks in a sling and extensive therapy. Both are very happy with the results. Good luck.

3. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    Hmm, while that sucks to hear, at least there is hope on the horizon. This has really been hurting me for about 4 months. Not enough to prevent riding, but I have been very timid on the bike for fear of a greater injury.

Time to stock up on movies I guess :(

4. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Dude...that blows.....let's get him a bob trailer and haul him around at the Fully! Heal up quick man.

5. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    Hmm, if it doesn't effect my running, maybe I can start running Fully. At least on Sundays. Hell, I could start sweeping. Just have to remember to carry a chain tool.

6. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

Total bummer to hear man. I know how much your shoulder has been bugging you. At least they can fix you back up to 100% again. Figures this happens just as you finally talked me into buy a road bike. Now I need to find a new riding partner while you are on the DL. #-o

Anyhow... heal fast!

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Paging bighouse (Rich)...

If I'm not mistaken, this is what Rich injured during the 2006 Fontucky National race during the 4x. Maybe pm him to ask?

Dan's brother had the labrum repaired on each of his shoulders. He was down n out for ~6 weeks but came back better than before.

8. cmeride

cmeride Member

I had my labrum torn in my left shoulder a year ago and had the surgery done then. Everything is feeling great it took about 6weeks if i can remember but i was riding (fire roads)in about 4. But, just last week i felt a twitch in my right shoulder and guess what...So off I go as well.

9. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

BSKI- Sorry to hear about the injury. Stop by Roscoe's Thursday night and tell us all about it!

10. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Just be glad that's all it is.

I had the SLAP repair (biceps tendon completely torn) back in 2004. Tendon had to be stapled back to the shoulder. Six weeks in the sling followed by six months of therapy just to get back enough range of motion to be able to lift my arm above my head. Full year for full recovery. Sucked unbelievably.

Make sure you get a good physical therapist and your ice maker works.

11. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I had surgery to repair my rotator cuff and torn bicep in October 2005. When the ortho gave me a copy of the MRI I cried. I had 20 years of scar tissue and varying tears in many places. He told me that any other surgeon would have given up and not done the repairs. He had to tie the tendons so tight, that I could not lift my arm at all after surgery. Oh, and I got a titanium anchor for the bicep repair.

I was in a sling and off work for several months because I could not lift my arm.

It took 6 monts of extensive rehab and I will never be able to straighten my arm again, nor will my upper body strength ever be the same. It has been a long road back and very frustrating. Hang in there and do everything they tell you to (and don't get back on the bike too soon).

Here is my an excerpt from my Blog:

5/10/2006
    Rehab Update

Wondering what I've been up to? Well, after 6 months (October 05 - April 06) of rehab after shoulder and bicep surgery, I am finally back on my downhill bike!!! I raced at Firestone 2 weeks ago then at the Fontana NMBS last weekend. It was great to be back on the big bike, I forgot how much fun it was.

However, in order to keep my shoulder intact for the next 25 years, I have decided to set my adrenaline meter at "FUN" permanently. My need for speed and going big have been dialed back a hair as having had 3 injuries in the last 3 years, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel like I have spent most of my time in rehab instead of enjoying life!!!

12. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Yeah, it's a real bitch getting older but you've not let that stop you from doing what you love to do... props to you, young lady as many would not perservere as you have.

To our next ride together....

13. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    This has been a real interesting week. Surgery was on 2-15

Surgery was supposed to take about 2 hours. Doc expected to have to re-attach about 10% or the cartilage in my shoulder.

Surgery took near 4 hours as the doc noticed my shoulder was “barely attached” and needed to re-attach 90% or the cartilage. He expected to use 4 anchors and I think last count was he used 12.

Shoulder hurts, a lot. Bicep had to be re-attached as well. Bicep likes to make sure I am awake and twitch a lot. Es no bueno L

The pain has slowly been subsiding and I am happy with the progress I have made so far. Last night I was actually able to lay down to sleep for the first time. Since the surgery I have been sleeping sitting up.

14. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Alteast from here on out its only going to get better and less painfull.

Not sure if you mentioned, but much how did you injure yourself? Are you going to start any physical therapy?

"remember remember the 8th of November"

15. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

Hey Bski... glad to hear you are feeling better. You looked pretty uncomfortable on Monday. Thanks again for loaning me your helmet/headlight combo. I found myself saying "Holy Crap.... that is a LOT of light". It was so bright, all I could see was fog and had to turn off the helmet light at the top of Blackstar to see. Was like driving through thick fog with high beams on. Now I'm gona have to buy me a set... bastard. Get some rest and heal up... I'll stop by in a few days.'
    :beer:

16. reflux

reflux New Member

17. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    This happened on my first Sunday Fully Loop Ride, where I wrecked and got the 2 front flats. Hit a bump and just came down wrong.

If I only rode an Ironhorse, I am sure I would be fine.

18. BSki

BSki New Member

Engineering Analyst
    Friday will be 8 weeks since my surgery. Take care of your shoulders folks.

Doc thought surgery would be about 2 hours as he expected to fix a 10% labral tear. Turned out to be almost 4 hours as the labrum was 90% detached, bicep tendon was torn as well as my rear rotator cuff.

1rst week it was a struggle to even get to the bathroom or to stand up. Oh, when getting pain meds, make sure to not get the F#$#(&^ childproof lids. Very hard to open with one hand. Glad I never watched 24. I will wear the hell out of Netflix.

2nd week I was able to start taking mile walks, followed by a 3 hour nap.
    I now realize it is a 15 minute task to put on socks with one hand. (If you can keep them from shooting away from you) Where the hell is the mailman.....Norco is da bomb

3rd week I am into the 2nd season of 24. Jack is one bad azz.
    I am able to shave off this scruff left handed. Damn that was scary. Bet Jack cant do that. Ever try to put on deoderant one handed?

4rth week Jack needs a break, get some movies. Beowulf, Illusionist, Prestige, blah blah blah. I hate walking, a lot. My bike is on its stand taunting me.

5th week I am so tired of frozen food and fast food. I just want a sandwich..... If only I could open a jar, or spread peanut butter... Jacks back to work.

6th week Season 3. Another nuke? maybe an asteroid? Oh no, its biological.....I bowled a 255 left handed. Dont think I will be able to play wii right handed again. My therapist is trying to kill me...

7th week will someone kill jack already? maybe he will get infected by this white shit he is chasing around. damn heroin addict. I am starting to hate my couch.

8th week Back to work this week (desk job) Shoulder is still in a bit of pain, but have been fully off the pain meds for 2+ weeks. Have about 50% mobility, all be it painful.
    About another 2 months of therapy and should be back to full strength. Went for a 3 mile run today which wasn't too bad. I definatly lost fitness, but I can get that back in due time.

Hope to back to at least Fully loop in 2 weeks or so.

Happy Trails

19. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Glad to see you up & running.

I met an older gent at the River over Easter who just had the rotator cuff surgery. The rehab center hooked him up with a motorized arm lifter that bolted up to most chairs. He just sat there and it slowly moved his arm through a limited range to help minimize the loss of motion.

Hmmm, a little modification and it could be an automatic beer pouring machine.....:beer:

20. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

I also had that same surgery and it ended up a ton worse when they got inside..... They ended up attaching the Labrum to the bone as it was torn to shreds. It seems to work alright now though for the most part. I was given no physical therapy and informed to keep movement down to as little as possible for as long as possible.

It's been three years and I am happy w/ the outcome.

Cheers,

C.K.