Well looks like I blew out my ACL.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Cyco-pancho, Jun 6, 2008.

1. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    Knee issues suck, I'll be prayin for your healing :)

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Been there too. 2001 tore my ACL and meniscus. Got rebuilt using part of my patella tendon.

4-6MO is the usually guildelline to return to 100% activity. Unfortunately most don't feel fully normal for at least a year.

Quick advice, is that therapy is gonna suck. But just do it. And try not to worry about how fast/slow you're recovering. Once you do your exercises it's kinda outta your hands.

Heal up quick!.

3. Cyco-pancho

Cyco-pancho New Member

Electrician
    **UPDATE 1**

Got my MRI on Tuesday, and asked the tech if he could see anything wrong with it (since he probably see's these types of injurys quite a bit). He said the my ACL does look a little damaged and that my miniscus may be damaged also...Now, I just have to wait to see what the Ortho says.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer

It is a tendon. It's the tendon that connects your quadriceps (the big thigh muscle) to both the patella and the tibia. It kind of wraps over the front of the patella and then inserts into the tibia, and the patella is actually free to move a liitle bit vertically relative to the knee joint and gives the muscle a little extra leverage. So the patella is basically a part of the quadriceps/patellar tendon linkage. kind of like a giant version those little sesamoid bones embedded in your toe tendons.

5. Zonacat

Zonacat New Member

Life
    Sorry to hear. The good news is that biking is great for rehab. Stay off the mountain for awhile though and remove the clipless pedal from the injured leg side (the twisting motion can cause further injury during recovery) until you are sufficiently healed.

I had ACL reconstruction about 14 years ago and was 90% after one-year and 100% within two years. I now consider the ACL leg to be my "good" leg. I did the Patellar tendon graph just because I didn't want some 80 year old dead guys ligament stuck in me (plus in the early 90's AIDS was still rampant).

Good luck!