Weir/Santiago Canyon

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by fastpassu, May 20, 2009.

1. fastpassu

fastpassu Addict

So today I rode both Canyons, not all the way through but about half of each. I live right next to this place so my route is a little different. First off, Weir was starting to get really overgrown with weeds in certain spots and bees were everywhere! Second, I hate riding this place. I dont know what it is. It does have some great down hill sections in places but the climbs seem killer. I have been riding for about 2-3 years now and have ridden many different places but his is by far the hardest place for me. Is it just a beast and I'm not read for this yet? Does anyone else struggle here as bad as I do?

Oh and it was hot out there today!

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I would not brag too loudly as most of it is Irvine's "Private Property" so we will all assume it was a docent led ride with no trespassing involved;).

And yes, the climbs in Fremont are bitch.

3. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    There's a reason the hills in Santiago Oaks are called the 3 Bitches. But yeah, there's some a couple of steepies in Weir too. Especially the one that curves to the left on your way out of the park headed back to Oaks. It's always rutted and I've grabbed the bush/tree a few times from stall.

4. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

We ride Weir regularly and every now and then add Santiago to it. I have no love for this trail but it is a good work out. I dread the B's and the climb up the street.

5. Winger

Winger Member

Weir is a strange trail. It can go from being a beginner trail to intermediate within a couple of months. Right now it is probably more on the intermediate level as there are lots of ruts and a couple of switchbacks w/ ruts that will throw you over the bars if you aren't careful.

As everything, it is relative. The only climb that regularly forces me to hike is the climb Pho mentioned.

FYI, there are a ton of horse trails in the nearby area. If you hate doing the pavement climb, you could go over to Deer Canyon and ride the singletrack there, and enter the backside of Weir near the houses to finish the loop.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=23684

There's a lot more in the area...you can do 30+ miles of riding with very little repeating.

6. springrubber

springrubber New Member

Glorified Donkey
    That pavement climb sucks ass in the heat. Definitely a workout after climbing the 3b's.

I was there about a month ago and ran into two LARGE rattlers (it was warm that day).

7. fastpassu

fastpassu Addict

WOW, I didnt even know the trail went that way right where those nice houses are (with the pools that look nice and inviting while im soaking wet with sweet) in Weir Canyon. I just moved to this area a few months ago. I live basically 50 yards away from the water tower in Weir. Is the riding back that way any better than Weir and Santiago.

For the rest of you, I'm so glad im not the only one who finds this ride to be a tough one. I think the lack of shade and wide open area contributes to this being a tough place to ride, that canyon can get pretty damn hot at times.

8. jcka

jcka Member

I can see the trail out my bedroom window. As close as it is, I'd rather ride anywhere but....

9. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I have only done this ride a few times but relly liked it. I guess I am the odd ball of the group but I give it a thumbs up.

10. fastpassu

fastpassu Addict

Not a fan of the trail?

11. jcka

jcka Member

Nope, not a huge fan of that trail. It's nice being close when I am pressed for time, but I would much rather ride somewhere else.

It's ridable, but I like the atmosphere of Whiting, El Moro, Luge and/or Aliso better.

12. Winger

Winger Member

Don't worry...I rode the trail for 3 or 4 years before I noticed the alternate route.

I'd say that none of the climbs are as bad as the pavement climb, or the 3 B's.

13. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

weekly ride

I ride the weir section of the loop once a week from my house. I can ride it from my house connecting from a series of bridle trails, ony on pavement to cross wier. I live at the bottom of Weir so the climb to the top is a tough 45 minute grind, especially compared to the 10 minute return trip.

Not the best trail, and I would not drive to get there, but being able to get an hour ride in with some climbing in is doable for sure.

And there are NO secret short single tracks that offer some gnar gnar so dont bother looking
    .:-k

14. BIGChris

BIGChris New Member

WHAT AREA / WHERE WERE THE BEES? I would rather see a mountain lion than have to ride thru unpredictable bees. Where they on Santiago Oaks or Weir?

I live in Woodbridge and used to ride the bike trail - through Peters Canyon - Across Chapman - do the Santiago Oaks IronMan loop - through Irvine Park - back down through Peters and back to Woodbridge. This is a totally do-able fun ride of just over 40 miles.

15. mantid83

mantid83 New Member

Insurance/Mortgage
    I missed it