Weight Training/Riding

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by cjwally, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    Hey Craig, given your genetics, long and lean will be with you for the rest of your life. Focus on Core strength. Sit ups, Back ups, Pull ups , and a light upper body routine. Your days in the gym should compliment your days off the bike. I can get a program set up for you if you want. (my bro is a physical therapist)

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Most likely not. Depends on what you are looking for, though. If you don't have any desire to race professionally than your speed is probably fine and any lean muscle you gain isn't gonna hurt one way or the other. You may just get more lean, though, also :lol:

3. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Yo for real, I did a short road ride with him yesterday and he was fast even after riding 80miles the day before.

Going by all my friends who are naturally very light, to put on some lean muscle it's definitely going to take sometime (several months maybe a year) and dedicated gym work and probably upping the amount of lean protein you eat. I'm sure somebody here has a better idea on how many grams you need to be eating.

Then again, I'd love to have that problem instead of trying to lose fat/weight. :lol:

4. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Ditto. I'm at that phase right now and unfortunately one day of bad eating and I'm back to where I was 2 weeks ago.

Makes you want to quit trying, but you can't... ](*,)

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    True dat. I hear ya, especially tough when you come home and your roommate is eating bon-bons and pizza.

6. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    I'd give weight training tips but i tore a ligament while trying to bench 335 pounds :/ So I dont want to pass the bad juju

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    weight lifting is totally ghey.....I have found that what chicks dig the most is getting all juiced up on roids, but not lifting....the "bloated with water" look is friggin hawt!...especially when wearing speedos

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I'm dying to ride with Fo in his speedos and moon face--he's hawt (fainting)

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Watch out for roid rage!!

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    its totally understandable....the problem I have, and "not that there is anything wrong with it", guys tend to want me quite a bit as of late. Note that I no longer ride with Burner....he is a total whore by the way.

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    biggest myth ever....lifting lights weights for high reps doesnt make you any more "toned."

To be "toned" is to have little body fat. So if you want to gain muscle lift heavy weights and if you want to look "toned" keep riding your bike to keep from gaining weight. But remember, trying to gain muscle without gaining any fat is really tough, that is why most body builders do bulking phases and cutting phases. Just lift a lot and eat a lot and when your muscles get to be the size you want, cut down the calories, keep lifting and ride your bike more.

12. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Soooo Right

RAAM is totally right. So many people (women especially#-o) think they will "bulk" up from lifting heavy weights. Nothing could be further from the truth. It just isn't in everyone's genes to bulk up. It comes down to training, nutrition, and GENETICS!! AND I guarantee if you are riding your bike a lot and you're not eating a large amount of calories, you won't be bulking up!

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    With a tapeworm like Craig (no offense :D) he won't gain fat at all, and shouldn't have a problem looking more muscular/toned with some weight lifting and lean protein.

There are definitely weight exercises that are better for cyclists, so check out some of the sites/people mentioned, and do a search on Google for cycling weight training or something similar.

Take a before and after photo so we can point and laugh :D jk

14. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

Oh hellz yah

Get me the program br0! :bang:

Can I use photochop for the after photo so we can see what would happen? I can provide the photo if you guys want to chop it up.... You are good at that right Allison??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    WTF? Light beer? See my sig.

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah I'll try to mess with something.

17. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Haha I couldn't agree more with your signature. Real beer drinkers dont count calories... they just ride more often to work it off :)

18. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Great post.

I ride with some fast guys, one of whom is a professional roadie with plenty of major tours under his belt.

He laid out his training plan, and it includes everything you said: weight training, running, stretching, etc... except he drinks Belgian beer, not light beer, haha.

How you structure these things depends on when you're planning on racing and what your goals are.

19. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I'm a personal trainer and MTB rider/racer since 1992. :)

The first question is this: what are your goals? Size? Strength? Endurance? Overall fitness? Until you have a specific goal in mind, it's impossible to offer specific advice on how to reach that goal!

That having been said, do you have a gym membership? You're going to want to experiement with "splits". In other words, my weekly split is lifting M/W/F, and riding T/Th...I leave my weekends up in the air.

Maybe for you, I'd keep M/W/F as riding days, and T/Th for conditioning/weight training days.

It sounds like you don't want to get huge...don't worry, unless you're really trying to, you won't. And now that I weigh in at 215 lbs, my riding isn't as graceful as it used to be! I started riding at around 170 lbs and it makes a big difference! In order to get big, you need to lift heavy weight, AND you need to eat an excess of calories to support the growth (I was eating 4800 cals/day when bulking).

Assuming you have access to a gym, I'd go for a cross training routine on T/Th...hitting the full body with moderate weight. However, I don't know anything about you, so I could be wrong here. Normally you meet with a client and do an assessment before recommending a routine!

As for diet...again, it depends on your goals. But protein is always a good idea after training or riding. Eating a lot (tapeworm?!) is ok if you eat smart, and portion control is very important.

If you want more specifics, feel free to drop me a line.

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    BTW, Craig, any update yet? Have you started?