Weight Training/Riding

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by cjwally, Jul 24, 2007.

1. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

As you all may know, my nick name is quickly becoming tapeworm. I need to break the mold! Any ideas on weight lifting strategies? I am looking to still ride the majority of the time, but want to combine my riding with some weight lifting.

Any ideas on a good lifting routine that will benefit my cycling?

Thanks!

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Check out MTB Strength Training. James Wilson has designed a program specifically for mountain bikers. I have been training with him for the last year and am very happy with the results.

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Pick up Mens Health sometime and also Bicycling magazine. Both always have great workout routines for all types of athletes. What I have been doing with my weight training is low weight with alot of reps. I dont want to bulk up but rather get stronger and more lean and cut if you will. If you arent weight lifting right now most any lifting is going to help your riding. I lift mostly with dumbells as they force you to have proper form and also you can do a ton of at home workouts with them. I will try and find some stuff I have pulled out of some magazines recently. If you can find the British version of Mens Health at Borders get it. There is a guy with a side profile on the cover topless with shorts on. It came with a seperate 100+ page workout guide with some really awesome workouts you can do anywhere, home, hotel, park, etc... I will try to find out what month it was.

4. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Using heavier weight won’t necessarily make you “bulk up.” If your weight is too low, you won’t make as much progress. The best thing to do is usually a high enough weight that is challenging but you can still do the exercise in a controlled/proper movement. Personally, I’d suggest a rest day between leg workouts and riding (I do legs once a week). Your body can actually use lactic acid as energy, but your muscles only grow during recovery (not during the actual exercise – this is when they break down). Added bonus – drink a carb/protein recovery drink right after your workout. The carbs help your body utilize the protein and rebuild your muscle. If you’re not into the fancy stuff, just make sure to eat a decent meal afterwards. Carbs are key though.

5. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    She made a good point about the protein drinks after a workout. Since I added a protein shake to my workouts I have notice a good improvement in my recovery and muscle development. I mix some carbs into it as well for a good balance. Then I usually make something like a ham or turkey sammie. Works well for me :)

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Ime

It is really easy. Here are the things I have done /doing that has helped:

• Stretching. Very important
    • Nutrition. What more can I say
    • Core strength. Over developing you leg muscles and not conditioning your core can be really bad. Muscle imbalances can lead to all kinds of heath problems
    • Sleep / rest Do not get run down
    • Cross train. Run, play basketball, swim etc…

A while back a buddy and I were training for the Vision quest / CC and took two different approaches.

He rode his a$$ off and cut back on calorie intake to drop some lbs.

I rode two maybe three times a week, went to the gym 5 days a week to stretch. Did leg weights (for the hamstrings) core conditioning and mild upper body stuff. Got plenty of sleep and switched to light beer.:eek::D

Over a two month time period we both got stronger but I was taking the lead. He started getting run down, would get sick (colds etc..) and fall behind. He ended up not doing the event. At the time I was 40 and he was 32.

Bottom line……Get your whole body strong JUST NOT YOUR LEGS, eat enough and the right foods, get plenty of rest and crank those pedals on a consistent basis.

Good luck! :beer::bang:

7. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

Thanks for all the quick replies! W0W. I am thinking just like you guys though...High rep. Low weight.

How many days a week? I don't want to kill myself with the weights. 2 days per week?

8. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    In the new Mens Health they have a study that finds for basic lifting purposes the group working out 3 days a week showed no significant differences then the group working out 2 days a week.

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but mostly we're all just jealous of your stature.

Aside from that, you probably won't be able to get "yoked" without juice (don't do it!).

Justin and I lift in the gym 3 days a week (right now to build lean muscle for burning more calories at rest). We don't do leg day anymore because it makes legs way too tired. I guess if we have a rainy winter maybe we'll pick it up again.

We do:

Monday: Shoulders (seated military press, upright rows, rear deltoids on a cable machine)

Wednesday: Chest/Triceps (bench press, incline bench press, cable machine flys, tricep extensions)

Thursday: Back/Biceps (lat pull down, seated rows, lower back extensions, curls)

Every once in awhile I throw in cable machine dips and pull ups (assisted with weight).

3 sets of each exercise, rest in between, and shoot for about 10-12 the first 2 sets and 8-10 the last set, increasing weight with each set when/if you can.

I also read a cool article on core exercises for bikers on bicycling.com last week. I did them all last night. They're tough!

Core - bicycling.com

Enjoy. Also, as mentioned, definitely stretch. I TRY to stretch after rides, but sometimes forget.

Lastly, not too long ago chocolate milk was touted as about as perfect an after workout drink as you can get. Try that.

10. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

How about a little Crossfit?
    Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

I would stay away from any seated exercises since that artificial props up your posterior chain (back). Do standing shoulder presses, push ups, pull ups, standing curls, dips (if you can't do an unassisted dip then get the giant rubber bands to help you), etc.

Dividing your lifting days up by body part is somewhat pointless since you will never ever only use one muscle when riding a bike, running, surfing, etc. By lifting weights in the traditional manner you are training your muscles to work independently of each other essentially making yourself less coordinated. Think compound functional movements.

11. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Core

Yep those core excercises are arse kickers! I am going to the gym in about an hour to bust them out.

12. Pilas

Pilas Member

Joe Friel's "Mountain Bikers Training Bible" has a great weightlifting program designed for mountain bikers. I have been following it for the past 3 seasons and I really like it.

13. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    You want some weight? Beer and Peanut and Jelly sandwitches

14. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

Already doing that. #-o

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  15. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

16. Edog

Edog Member

If you belong to a gym like 24 Hour, try one of there lift classes, you choose the weight, reps are very high ( 60 to 120 ) full body work out with emphisis on the core, goes by fast & you could never organize yourself to get that kind of work out done in an hour by yourself, you waste half your time waiting for machines / weights. The class I took last week we did over 200 lunges & squats thought out the class. AHHHHHHH

17. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Interesting discussion.
    Here's a moot point - does being faster mean you enjoy your riding more?

18. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I sure as hell would. Then I wouldn't be the slowest one in every group ride. That, and I could finish Vision Quest without having to worry about training for 8 months beforehand.

I guess when you are fast already it may not make a difference, but when you're slow it does.

Wally isn't slow, though. So, not sure why you bring it up in relation to weight training. He just wants to stop being called tapeworm :D

Craig, you know you may get slower if you build bulk right?? jk 8-[

19. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

haha....

I don't want bulk, I want toned!!! Will that slow me down too? :-k

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider

That's why they call it POWER HOUR! If it's going take me a while to get food, I sometimes will eat a high protein bar after workouts too.