Weight loss guide/food list

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Rob, Mar 13, 2008.

1. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Tofu has plant estrogens. C'mon Sam...you're the chemist:lol:;)

2. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    So why are soy beans not listed for women only on their master list?

If anything, wouldn't those estrogens be destroyed in the boiling and coagulating process (which uses mild acids or bases)?

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

What list are you referring to?

You'd think the estrogens might be destroyed by all that processing but maybe not.

4. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    The list in Rob's original post to start this thread.

5. katonk

katonk .

6. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Well, is it marketing?

In other words, are they highlighting the fact that women may get the most benefit from ingesting plant estrogens to assist with menopause symptoms?

As for the soybeans, I don't know how to explain that one.

On a side note, if you've ever learned about the soy --> tofu pathway...wow, holy chemistry batman!!

7. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    I was getting worried there for a sec when people were suggesting reducing your intake to 1500. You and I are Fairly similar in size and activity. Currently I am at 190, and was about 230. Individuals of our size need 2000 calories a day to maintain ourselves. When you add in commuting you need to add the calories your burning. (I burn 1000 - 1200 commuting each day) so that puts me at 3k - 3200 calories a day.

This is important because your body has an internal calorie measure that if not met will go into "famine" mode and store fat for fear that it's current stresses are permanent. If you cut anything it should be no more that 500 calories. I am sure it has been said already, soda is a biggie, not only does it contain near a full days value of sugar but the carbonation dehydrates you and limits the amount of calcium your body ingests (making broken bones more likely).

I have been commuting for near 2 years. I started at 230 and with in 3 months was about 210 and my cardio had VASTLY improved. After talking with some STR members I started running intervals 3 days a week (using geographic markers) and finding extra credit climbs. that took me to 205 and I was able to rip up mathus in Aliso (Prior to that I had Walked at least half).

Earlier this year I started a work out routine that lasted 45 minutes. I did it every morning for about 45 days (I recently suffered a back injury and am DYING to start up again) with this I increased my caloric intake. In 2 months time I have really stepped up my cardio endurance, dropped fat for muscle and am in the best shape I have been since my High School Water Polo days,weighing in at 189 at the lowest.

of All the things that have surprised me, it was standing on the scale and seeing 189 and thinking, "I'm in the 180's!, Holy Crap I still have a TON I could loose!"

a major key to a drastic change is a long term out look. Have a goal and progress to it. don't try and add everything I've done tomorrow. they are steps to take one at a time. As my body acclimates to the stress and demands I place on it I add something new to break the plateau phase an keep myself progressing.

Hope this helps! (and sorry for being so dang long winded)

8. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    WOW, haha at the risk of sounding like a nerd, I never knew the topic of SOY could be so interesting! Remembered an article I read about soy/tofu effects in men vs women, couldn't find it, so then continued to research a bit in hopes of finding it to no avail (I'll post it later if I remember it/find it). BUT haha the science and controversy of soy is fascinating! If you're bored at work and have any interest in biochemistry, I highly recommend googling "soy"! :read:

Interesting side note: Soy also contains trypsin inhibitors and Bowman-Birk protease inhibitors which block enzymes that promote hair growth (good to know for those roadies out there, LOL jk)

9. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

You are feeding my science addiction...I love it!

Enzymes is our topic today for my biotech students...I will mention it!

10. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    I would suggest that you have more protein in the morning, less protein at night (but have healthy carbs at night too). Breakfast needs to be the major meal of the day.

11. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

My input... exercise 4 days a week...drink water all day.... eat more often not less often...and cut every meal you put in front of you in half. You'd be suprised that most of the weight in this country is size as much as content.

PS....cut out sodas, fries, junk food, and crap too.

PSS....I watched a coworker get into Herbalife shakes....I said how many calories is that shake dear??? She said oh it's a meal replacement and it's xxx in calories...I said so you're actually consuming MORE calories now than before you started the diet??? See thats where they get you!!

12. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    Good points - Jamba Juice, for example. I used to get the peanut butter moo'd smoothie every so often...until I read the calorie content. It was the highest in the entire place, somewhere over 800 calories! For one smoothie, and it only keeps you full for an hour or two. That was the last one of those smoothies I ever had.

Also forgot to mention - when I split my daily meals to four smaller meals rather than three large ones, I lost 4 lbs in 6 weeks time. Just from changing my meals around! I was eating the same foods, just eating smaller portions more often.

13. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

Oh and...stay AWAY from Starbucks. I shudder when I see heavy people walking around with the 2000 calorie drinks in their hands... man almighty, it's a sad state of affairs some of these places have gotten people into. (yeh I know people should be accountable but .... it still upsets me)

I use to manage a health food store years ago...so my advice is from seeing all the fad diets and investigating a little bit...I hope it helps and isn't offensive.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think I should be eating more than 1300 calories a day :-k Might be closer to adding a zero would be close to your 500 calorie deficit? I dunno.

15. xwhoopax

xwhoopax New Member

my resistance training is just a simple weight lifting routine.

i just do upper body one day. and then my lower half the next. i was told to give at least 48 hours of rest to muscles that have been worked out.

one thing i want to do though is get into the cycling class they have, to build up strength and endurance that would work directly into mountain biking.

oh and stretching... thats a good thing lol. 2 years ago i did a cycle class... was running late so i hopped right on a bike and started goin at it. about half way through the class my calf locked up and those stationary bikes are kind of like fixed gear bikes where theyll keep pulling your leg if you stop pedaling... yep. good times lol.

@ ALLISON
    if that is you in your avatar. and youre keeping that form. i think whatever youre doing now is fine haha. thats kind of why i said your fitness level and exercise weren't included. because if you're doing a lot of exercise, then your body is going to require more calories to maintain a steady weight. there are women in my class who are big (its a weight management class) and their calorie limit is
    1300-1500. and one of them has lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks.

16. reflux

reflux New Member

That only kept you full for a few hours?! An old friend and I used to fill up on the peanut butter moo'd after hellacious rides. You know, the 4 to 5 hour xc marathons. No food hit the spot like the peanut moo'd. The funny thing about it was that it was eaten for lunch, but neither of us ever had room for dinner. Maybe a small snack come 10 or 11p, but nothing remotely resembling a full meal.

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't have a problem keeping weight on (hahahahaha!), but I'm probably about... 6-7lbs lighter than I was in that pic.

Definitely trying to keep up with exercise.

FWIW, I lift 3 days a week (I try to keep it to 30 mins max) and ride anywhere from 2-5 days a week. I've been doing PM yoga and then alternate core exercises and PT exercises in the evenings as well.

I think the biggest thing for me has been cleaning up my diet a LOT, and lifting. My body seems to operate better when I've got a decent amount of lean muscle mass, hence the continued weights even with the riding. If I stop the weights and lose lean muscle I'll just pack on the pounds again.

18. reflux

reflux New Member

T-nation had a very informative article on soy this past week. Perhaps a few of you will find it interesting. This is what I took from it. Soy is good in moderation (what isn't?). Processed soy (protein, concentrates, etc) is not as desirable as soy in its more natural form (tofu, sauce, milk, etc).

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/soy_whats_the_big_deal

19. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    The below link is from the "National Institute of Health" web site. The information/diet outlined in this PDF has some valuable dietary information for not only reducing cholesterol but for a healthy diet that will lead to weight loss.

I'd recommend reading this for information on a healthy diet. In addition, the rest of the NIH site has some really great health related information.

I was not overweight (5'11" and 180lbs/medium build) and exercise very regularly and intensely. My diet was alright but still high in fat, sodium, etc ...

Anyway, a physical revealed that I had a record setting cholesterol level. (300+) Who'd have thunk it with my semi healthly life style. I followed this method of eating, did not change my exercise routine and I lost about 14 lbs. With that, I'd say that there is probably very little to no fat left for me to lose. My cholesterol levels decreased to well within the normal levels as well.

Any healthly diet combined with portion control and regular exercise will lead to weight loss ...

HTH. :)

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf

20. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

What is your cholesterol now?

What is your carbohydrate intake like?