Weight loss guide/food list

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Rob, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    I'm looking to start on a diet, just wondering what you guys thought of this guide, I saw my friend had this posted on his fridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm 235 lbs right now and want to get below 200, 190 is my goal. Right now I'm commuting 25-30 miles round trip for 5 days a week. Should I be counting my calories? How many calories should I be taking in per day figuring I'll be riding(road) for 30 miles every day and at least 15 miles on the weekend on a mountain bike?

2. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    www.freedieting.com

has a great calculator ("Daily Calorie Needs") for how many calories you should be eating for your height, weight, gender, and age. It also can give you an idea of your basal metobolic rate (the amount of calories you consume by just being alive with no activity). Also,

www.calorie-count.com is a good place to start off if you don't know much about calories.

Good Luck =)

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Rob,

See if you can limit yourself to about 1500 calories per day with the ratio being about 75% Protein and 25% Carbs and drink only Water. Try that for a few weeks and you will drop some pounds in a heathy manner.

Good luck!

Jordan

4. reflux

reflux New Member

http://www.coachdos.com/

His book has a GREAT section on nutrition. The workouts are namely strength-based, but you'll experience weight loss as a side effect. You're more than welcome to borrow my copy sometime next week if you're interested.

A very good read
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1392804

Edit: Calorie counting imo, while beneficial to athletes who get paid to be in shape, is unnecessary work for many of us. You're better off by sticking to certain foods and groups, staying away from trans fats (fried food, margarine, etc) and processed sugars (soda), and eating throughout the day. For example...Aside from the rare order of fries, I never eat fried food. Soda is a rare treat; I drink at least 4 cups of green tea at work. When I do snack at work, it's almonds and not the chocolate candy they provide.

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd do a google search for calorie counters and just ensure you check off or look at the info for weight loss, as opposed to maintenance. You probably should be eating at least 2k calories a day, I'd think.

The food list is good. You don't necessarily need a gallon of water. It has to do with a certain amount per body weight.

I also eat carbs at dinner :) Will be having pasta tonight, as a matter of fact.

6. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    NO, NO, NO!
    My basal caloric intake is about 3200 per DAY! If I only ate 1500, I'd I'd keel over. Once you figure out your basal metabolc rate and daily caloric requirements, a 500 calorie deficit is more than sufficient to lose weight for endurance athletes.

Things to omit: Pasta, processed breads, RICE, sugar, candy, soda, etc.

Things to increase: Fruits and veggies.

A good mantra for your eating habits: lean, clean and green.

I've lost almost 8 pounds since Xmas using a 500 calorie deficit. From 154.8 to 147.0. No starving myself.

Another trick is to skip eating before short workouts and just drink STRONG coffee. Not good for a super-long ride, but it does help to lean you out.

Feel free to ask me any questions about what I specifically eat. Good luck!

7. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Eat only protein and fat and the fat will melt away.

8. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I lost 59 lbs last year following much of what I suggested. That was just a starting point there is much more to do. The important thing is to burn more calories than you put in your body every day if you want to lose weight. Increasing your fruits and veggies is a no brainer so I did not suggest it. Most people know what they should and shouldnt put in their mouth. Clean lean meats, veggies, as little white starches as they can, no sodas, etc... If you eat a bunch of fast food you need to stop. If you must I suggest getting chicken sandwiches and skipping the cheese and dressings. Then aside from the bun its usually not all that bad. I would also suggest eating Oatmeal for breakfast every morning and/or maybe 2 eggs trying to stick to the whites only and a slice of wheat toast dry or with a small amount of sugar free jam. I also made friends with alot of nuts :) like almonds they are great for you and a healthy snack to munch on throughout the day.

Once you get started listen to your body it will tell you what you are needing and what you are not. You will quickly feel the difference in your workouts when your diet changes. Then, when your fitness level increases you will see how drastic your performance changes when you eat healthy versus crappy.

Rob you know what I suggest as a great starting point, portion control. Most of us are over eaters I know that I was and still am on occasion just not as bad as I was before last year. Start with cutting back on the portions you are eating right now and increase the amount of portions you have throughout the day. That alone will make a difference and it will not shock you. A lot of people jump head first into crazy diets and fail because they arent ready to go from eating poor to an extreme health nut. Start with something easy and then increase your diet goals.

9. Edog

Edog Member

Make sure your get your RDA of Fiber, Flax Seed is a great way to push this up, or try the Fiber One Yoguat. A good bowl of bran in the morning is awesome too. Most people are way off on their fiber in take. Most average peeps will see wieght lose results in 3 to 4 weeks just by increasing there intake.
    If you go the heavy protein route this is even more important!

10. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    "The important thing is to burn more calories than you put in your body every day if you want to lose weight."

Yes! Maybe I was a tad harsh in my reply. The point is that recommending a specific caloric recommendation for someone without knowing their basic requirements (I.E. 1500 cals per day) can be detrimental to their health.

A 500 cal deficit and you'll lose weight in a healthy manner. Too close to 1000 cal deficit and you'll notice you're energy levels are in the toilet.

With all the conflifcting info, you may want to keep a food journal for a week and see exactly what you're eating and what you'd like to change to help you with your goals.

If you're thoroughly confused by now, see your Doctor or a Nutritionist.

11. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Looks good ... but you don't need that much protein ... maybe a major athlete ... MAYBE. For my body weight, 40 grams is perfect. I weight about 120.

Also, you don't always have to eat when you're hungry.

12. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

Here's what I have been eating lately.

Breakfast before ride-Bowl of kellogs special k, 1 cup non fat milk, glass of 100% orange juice and an apple.

at work a plum or apple or grapes

for lunch usually a pb&j with reduced fat pb on whole grain wheat or turkey sandwich with light mayo. I eat this about an hour before the ride home which is usually 15-20 miles.

For dinner either a chicken breast and veggies or fish and veggies.

How does this sound? Do I need more carbs or fiber than that will provide? Am I missing anything? How about protein shakes?

I drink about 3-4 liters of water a day no soda and only 100 % juice.

Thanks!

13. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

That is a ton of sugar/carbs before you have any fat or protein. Your insulin levels will be out of control making it harder to lost fat.

Have chicken sausage in the morning. The cereal is essentially sugar, so is the milk and OJ.

Fat is your friend.

14. reflux

reflux New Member

werd.

The best time to intake carbs is for breakfast. Oatmeal has been suggested as perhaps the best breakfast meal, plus it's quick and cheap as hell.

I suggest saying away from most juices, as it's basically sugar water. That being said, I LOVE carrot juice and nobody can take that away from me.

Substitute almond butter from TJ's for the peanut butter. Omega 3's in almond butter kick peanut butter's ass. As for the jelly, make sure to use something that doesn't have a ton of added sugar. Basically, the less processed the better.

15. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Rob this is what I ate on a typical day of weight loss and riding.

B-Oatmeal - Small glass of FF milk - handful of blueberries or almonds - water
    L-Chicken breast sandwich with whole wheat bread no dressing maybe ketchup - water
    D-Chicken and a small amount of pasta or Shrimp or Fish and small salad - water
    Only Water no Juices as most are just sugar

For snacks I found some sub 100 calorie granola bars with the lowest sugar possible
    Almonds
    Berries and Veggies
    Protein bars but in moderation

When I increased my working out I would add a protein shake with FF milk right after my workout. I would also add Propel during my workouts and after. Works as well as normal Gatorade with a fraction of the sugar and calories.

16. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Rob, if you want to lean out and lose the fat fast, you can't just do cardio. You gotta do some weight training and build up some muscle. The muscle will eat away at your fat.

Get the book ABS DIET. By far the best thing I've found nutrition wise.

17. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I may not be one to talk, I cant gain weight if I try. But my eating habits are, eat until I feel just filled, not over filled. Say for instance I get a Subway sandwich 12" I eat six of it, and two three hours latter the rest. I eat small meals through out the day instead of sit down three times a day big meals.Yes alot of veggies, fruits and nuts are included.No soda, 90% of the time I drink water.Red meat in small portions, but pork , chicken and fish I eat a lot.Im not a big fan of pasta either, but Potatoes and rice yes. I have say; two Small red or gold potatoes with dinner.

18. xwhoopax

xwhoopax New Member

one of the best things ive learned ever:

"eat your fruits and vegetables. don't drink them."

when you drink fruit juices, you're just drinking sugar. they are 'empty calories' because there is no fiber left in it.

when you drink veggies like V8, you're drinking salt water. and it just plain doesnt taste good lol.

oh, and calorie counting works well for some people. it helps you keep in check of what you're eating.

i use calorieking.com it's pretty helpful and free. just search for the food you ate.

and yes, a 500 calorie deficit will do you well(of course based on what your calorie intake should be). i believe, thats the recipe for losing 1 pound of fat a week.

the nutritionist from our class told us an easy guideline to finding what your calorie intake is, is to add a zero to your weight. ex: if you weigh 250. then your calorie intake should be 2500. subtract the 500. and bam. 2000 calorie limit including your 500 calorie deficit.

but that is just the basic formula, without of course including your exercise and fitness level.

i've lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks doing the 500 calorie deficit, plus doing 50 minutes of rigorous cardio and a resistance training routine.

19. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    What kind of resistance training are you doing?

20. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Why does that Zone chart say tofu is for women (implying it is not for men)? I love tofu.

I think millions of Korean men would be upset without Soon Du Boo (my all time favorite tofu soup).