Wednesday Night Bike Maintenance Clinic (11/17/10)...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Dino Brown, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

haha. we were moving on that one. I'd be more than happy to show you how to do it at the next clinic if I can make it though.

I think I can speak for a few people here, mike needs to have at least 1 or two new avid brake bleed kits on hand. I've had the need to peddle one to people at BOTH clinics, and last night, there was not an unopened one to use.

and good work to katsuma. I'll admit, I did a lot of the doing, but he was a great student, and seemed to have absorbed everything I had to say. definitely eager to learn a bunch about bikes. :beer:

2. Billabonk

Billabonk Member

Appliance Repair
    Thanks Dino

Came to help teach and only found room to learn. Left knowing more and wanting more. I gotta get a bike work stand. Great event Dino. Great turn out.

3. ARGAMA

ARGAMA Member

IT Manager
    I am glad I attended the event and I have learned so much from everyone especially Ladd Jasper! Dell took the time and explained to me how to adjust my front and rear derailleurs. Dell also helped me put on my brand new tubeless XT Wheel with a new XTR Cassette and Hutchinson Python UST Tire on my Trance X3.

Thank you Dino for putting this together and all the other instructors to help and share your knowledge with others. I definitely recommend this clinic to all my friends! Great job everyone!! :clap:

4. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

Hey a big thanks to all str guys that came by. A BIG I mean BIG thanks to Dino Fred and the crew that got their hands dirty. I think these guys go out of their way to make each str event better and it shows. I know it made me better and looking at some little things to make it better for YOU! Great to see some good customers in the shop along with many giants! Thanks again for your support. Also the Giant demo went off great. Thanks for all who supported the event and I hope you enjoyed the new bikes. Giant is making some great stuff these days!

P.s.second Annual turkey fellowship ride thanksgiving meet at parks jr high school upper parking lot 8:30 just a cruise ride and then we all ride to Starbucks for some java after.

5. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    hey powers that be... will there be another one of these any time soon?

6. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Yes. We'll start setting it up.

7. blindman_22

computer stuff
    cool.. i think my brakes need to be bled or something. they brake fine, but the levers are spongy and is hard to get feedback from my brakes..

8. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    I'm also interested in the clinic as well. Suspension settings have always been somewhat of a mystery to me. And the best way to learn something is always from people that know their stuff - and our STR peeps definitely know their stuff.

9. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    Me too! The factory recommended sag setting doesn't work for me. (way too firm) Don't know what I am doing wrong! Hopefully I can learn a thing or two about suspension settings in this clinic.

10. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    I would love to learn about fork maintenance and settings. Could we get a couple of weeks notice?

11. strobe

strobe resident noob

Depending on how soon and what day this would be, I'm really interested. I got lots to learn and this would be perfect.

12. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I'm interested. Need to learn how to do basic tune up stuff like derailler adjustment--can't seem to get it.

13. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

If I'm free (like, i don't have class), I'll definitely come along and help teach people again. always a fun time. keep me posted Fred.

suspension setup is usually better done mostly on the trail, but I'm sure we can help you out.

what kind of fork did you have in mind? If we had a few people come in and want to look at rebuilding/servicing suspension specifically, I would be happy to do it.

My only caveat is that I don't work on fox TALAS forks, and that I havn't worked on any marzocchis in recent memory. any rockshox forks, or any float or van fox forks I can handle though.

I can also show people how to rebuild fox RP-series shocks. that is an easy rebuild and pretty easy to show people. I might be able to do the same for DHX airs, but I'd needa look at whats involved in the rebuild.

14. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    Nothing Fancy. It's a Rockshox Tora 318. I never did any set-up to it out of the box and I've never performed any maintenance in the 3 years I've been riding. It's been super reliable and I'd like to keep it that way.

15. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    +1 on forks, have 2 floats, a lyrik u-turn and zocchi in my world. Maintenance to the floats, and think I need to change my spring in the Lyrik.

16. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    I can tell that this will be a success for all involved. If it is to be held, will it be at Fullerton Bike again? If so, I want to make sure they have a seal kit on hand for my Reba 29er fork. Then again, maybe I should just order/buy one from them and have it myself when the clinic takes place. Proactive - what a concept! I guess this would be good advice for anyone attending the clinic = don't assume that every part for every bike in existence will be on hand. When we hear the when/where info., go to that shop and give them some business on parts purchasing because I guarantee you that what you take away from the experience will be worth way more than saving $11 on some internet buy. The STR mechanics that were there last time seriously know their stuff. I trust their knowledge far above internet blogs and magazine articles. Thanks in advance to all who set this up (Mayor Dino, Fred, Bryan, Ken, etc).

17. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Id love to see you rebuild a RP series shock and also work on a revelation or fox fork

18. blindman_22

computer stuff
    make sure you bring a camcorder or something to record Bryan. he's fast like that. you blink and he's done. :)

19. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    I'd like to see the RP shocks rebuilt. Maybe we could all bring ours unmounted and follow along with the rebuild (assuming we all get rebuild kits).

Maybe even rebuilding some forks.

20. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

good call Donny. when we get to that point, anybody wishing to rebuild a fork should bring along the appropriate seal kit and oil for it. from what I know, if you have the right size for your stanchions, it'll probably be the right one, at least on rockshox and fox (ie, if you've got a lyrik, any 35mm seal kit from rockshox will work, even if it says domain or boxxer). oil is another good thing to bring for yourself. I'll bring some of my own as a backup, but you can get whatever you need from a moto shop (I use cycleworks at orangefair mall).

could be useful. I tend to be a bit more slow and careful with suspension parts though.

and seeing as there is a lot of interest for suspension-related maintenance this time, if there is at least one other person who's confident in rebuilding a fox or rockshox fork, it would be helpful to have another person. It could be difficult to be instructing 5+ people on how to rebuild their forks. we'll figure it out.