Wednesday Night Bike Maintenance Clinic (11/17/10)...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Dino Brown, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I'm probably in. I can bring my tools and a stand.

Also, if someone is willing or interested, I can do a bit on rebuilding suspension. I'm self-qualified to do pretty much every variety of rockshox fork, probably any fox forks aside from TALAS air springs (I just wont touch those), and I can also do fox RP-series air shocks. I know I've heard some interest from people on it, so I'll throw it out there.

I do need to rebuild my own boxxer, so I can just do a demo too if nobody has their own fork to rebuild.

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

3. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    I'm in as an instructor. I think I'm more useful for my workstand, but I can pretend I know what I'm doing =P.

4. Billabonk

Billabonk Member

Appliance Repair
    I have no stand but a few of the basic tools that I've gathered together the last few years to work on my own bikes.. I can handle any of the basic repairs and I'm not afraid to learn something new myself. SO,,, if you're short on mechanics and need help I can. Never sure when I'm off work but I should be able to make 6:30. 35% off at the bike shop. Now I know why my wife gets so excited when theres a shoe sale. Can't pass that up

5. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Is this still on? For some reason, it is not showing up under Upcoming Events.

6. Dino Brown

7. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    WOW. Best one yet....

8. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Great experience as a first time participant! I didn't need to break out my work stand, but got to help out a bit with some maintenance stuff. I also got some high end information and advice from Ken, Lee, David, Bryan, and others. Thanks guys! Good eye catching my destroyed rotors, educating me on the grease-less mavic freehubs, and showing me how to work a truing stand. I got more tools to buy.

9. fzero40

fzero40 New Member

Engineer
    Thanks to everyone who was there sharing their knowledge. I learned some valuable tips and enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks again. Loren

10. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I really wanted to go to this, but it took me 3.5 hours to get from Ventura back to La Verne this evening (normally a 1.5 hr drive) and I just didn't feel like going back out on the road for anything. Sounds like I missed a fun/informative time. If another one comes up I'll try again.

11. tandem

tandem New Member

Guys, thanks for setting up this Bike Maintenance Clinic :clap:

I learned a lot today from:
    1. "finicky" headset adjustments (thanks pmortuary & mtnbikerfred)
    2. tubeless setups & derailleur adjustments (Ladd Jasper)
    3. brake bleeding (mtnbikerfred and brownie) (how to do it properly and how to fix things if ever you place the wrong type of fluid in your brakes:))
    4. rebound and sag settings to headset bearing repacking/rebuilding & Bottom Bracket Maintenance (Bryguy)
    5. things you should pack in your hydration pack (mtnbikerfred). I'll try to post the video of this soon.

I hope these clinics continue so I can learn some more and maybe help out more in the future.

12. tandem

tandem New Member

what your hydration pack should contain...
    [vimeo]16955379[/vimeo]

a few pics I snagged...

P1020893.JPG P1020888.JPG P1020890.JPG P1020892.JPG P1020894.JPG P1020887.JPG P1020891.JPG P1020889.JPG

13. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    thanks Dino and all the instructors that made this happen. i learned a ton from Del (thanks Del). the only down side is that i have to spend more money on tools :)

14. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Thanks to Dino, everyone at Fullerton Bicycles, and all that participated. Very cool event.

15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Great event! A special thanks to Dino for putting it together and making sure everyone was getting taken care of. He went around to make sure the "students" were getting everything they needed or wanted to learn as well as going around to the instructors with water, as well as making sure they had everything they needed.

A round of applause should go to the instructors: Ladd Jasper, mtbbikerfred, Bryguy17, pmortuary, stevers, freekengo, and all others who offered advice (sorry if I didn't mention your name - I missed a lot of names). These guys spent time explaining many fine details on bike maintenance and repair. :clap::clap::clap: And of course, thanks to everyone for showing up. It was a good time for all, I believe.

Of course none of this would have been possible without Mike (Fullerton Mike) of Fullerton Bicycles opening up his shop after hours and allowing people basically free reign of the shop to use their tools and work space, not to mention giving everyone killer deals on parts, not to mention supplying the pizzas. :clap::clap: If you haven't been to the shop, you really should check it out. They have a great selection of mountain bike, road, and more BMX stuff than any shop in Southern California. http://www.fullertonbicycle.com/

16. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

Very cool bike clinic! Thanks to all that put this together and a big thanks to Freekengo for helping me dial in my brakes! :clap:

17. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

good times! hope everyone I helped walked away with something useful. I know a few years ago I woulda crapped a brick if my headset bearing fell apart when I took the fork off, and I hope that the little tutorial keeps any bricks from being shat.

thanks to dino for setting things up, thanks to all the other instructors, thanks to Dell for the 5mm allen wrench (of all the wrenches to leave at home). thanks to mike for the shop space, and more importantly, the pizza :lol:

oh, and thanks to the friggin kogi truck for bombing the parking situation. sucks having to haul my 60lb toolbox and awkwardly large bike stand a half block to the shop...damn hipsters...

18. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    Bryguy - you'll need to show me the fork removal process next time. i was watching Dell do his thing when i looked over and you had the trek completely apart.

19. Dino Brown

*Wednesday's clinic was easily my favorite one to date :clap:

*Freddie and pmortuary deserve a HUGE thank you (simple idea to improve future events)
    :clap:

*I walk away from each event in awe of our instructors.
    They make learning simple. They make learning fun. They make learning easy to understand!
    Freddie, Bryguy, Freeky, Lee: Four of the most talented mechanics I know- period! I could not imagine hosting a clinic without them. Stevers: First time instructor. Made learning ridiculously easy. Anyone able to teach Dickieparker has got to be good (haha.. just kidding). Expect an invitation for our next event. pmortuary: First time instructor. Words can not express how impressed I was with Dave's teaching abilities. Chain line... Shock settings... Seat clamps... Shifters... Everything he said made absolutely perfect sense. He taught (me) things I already knew the answers to. 8-[ I don't care what Dave says: He WILL be teaching at the next clinic.

Ladd Jasper:
    First time instructor. I asked Dell to join us because I 100% knew he would make an amazing instructor. What I did NOT know was how thorough AND fast he would be. He taught Mike's young son that bike repair (i.e. drivetrain cleaning) was fun. He made everything easy to understand. He dialed-in someone's suspension (brakes)? He converted (a) wheel to tubeless- his student will do the other one. He helped take the "squeak" out of a students old-school brakes. He cured cancer. He built a five bedroom house before our eyes! If you own a bike shop, you would be wise to fire your three best mechanics- replace them with (one) Dell! :clap:

Special thanks to Mike for 1) allowing Freddie and I to take over his store 2) for feeding us 3) for giving our members 35% off anything in the store 4) for staying late 5) Etc. Etc. Etc.

Mike learned much from Wednesday's event...
    He was under the impression he had a well stocked store. Our members taught him that improvements needed to be made (i.e. what's the point in having 10 of one item if you have zero of another). Note: If you saw Mikey working on his laptop, it had nothing to do with his Facebook account... He was ordering parts that he discovered were in short supply- or that he thought would be needed in the future! Well done! :clap:

Students:
    Some of you got your hands dirty. Others watched and listened as our instructors showed you what to do. Curious: Is watching a repair being made as good as making the repair yourself?

Huge round of applause to: KATSUMA!

Quiet. Nice guy. Eager to learn. As soon as he walked in the door, I looked him in the eye and asked if he brought a bike- He said no! I told him to watch, learn, ask question- that's exactly what he did. Mid-way through the clinic, I noticed he was standing in the doorway with a very nice looking Trek! I asked him if it was his bike- He informed me it was indeed his bike! #-oI hooked him up with Bryguy. One minute the crank arms were off... Next minute the fork is off... Katsuma and Bryguy checked pretty much every part of that bike. Needless to say, Katsuma VERY MUCH enjoyed the experience.

Until next time! :beer:

20. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    What an excellent event that was. Thanks especially to Dino and Bryguy17 for teaching me the basics of maintenance. It was very motivational and informative. I even fantasized a bit about becoming an instructor one of these days. :)