wayyy off the back

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pastamon, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    yo STR,

Some people I know who live in your neck of the woods suggested I visit here, to check out threads and to sell some bike stuff that they think y'all would like.

I'm a non-racing MTB rider. I have been riding for a little while (about 12 years) and I have accumulated some nice bikes & parts over the past 5 years or so -- more than I need, more than I can use -- and I'm trying to sell off the stuff I don't use often enough. I hate having stuff sit around and not get used.

So if you're interested in some good deals on well-maintained bikes and parts, look for my thread in The Market Place.

2. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Please come here to contribute to the community, not just sell stuff.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

4. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    :welcome:

5. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    Wow, you want me to contribute to your community, but you dis me off the bat? That's no way to build a community.

I'll contribute when and where I can, and I think it's rude of you to imply that I don't intend to do so. Thanks for the NON-welcome.:rolleyes:

to denmother -- thanks for the more appropriate and helpful welcome!:clap:

6. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    WELCOME!!\\:D/Don't be shy, or mad. Jump in. Post in a few threads, then list your stuff. We all want to know what you got, so, we are all waiting for you to get you post count so we can see!! I have friends in Littleton, Co. Beautiful place if you ask me. Not entirely unlike OC.

At least tell us what you ride.

7. Alex

Alex Crank it out

Student, Tutor
    :welcome: from Moreno Valley!

8. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    don't mind them... you can always have some of those people you 'know' post up your stuff for sale... PLENTY of others do it. ;) big loop hole that hasn't been closed yet...

9. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    Thanks Fred.

This season I'm riding an On-One Inbred 29er SS with a 26" FS bike to be built when the frame arrives. I've had the Inbred since 2006 and I like it a lot, especially for the price. I have owned quite a few bikes, last season I rode the Inbred, a Turner 5-Spot during the 1st half of the season, and a Turner Sultan during the 2d half of the season. I like Turners, I like the way DT approaches framebuilding and I especially like his customer service. I sold the 5-Spot to see if the Sultan was a good replacement -- it is, for sure, but I found that I like 26" wheels for FS bikes. (The Sultan is one of the things I will be trying to sell, if BrewMaster doesn't mind!)

10. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    size and color please :)

11. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    Medium, Anodized Brass. Send me a PM and I can provide more detail, if you want to hear it.

12. denmother

I would be interested in additional info on this, if you'd be willing to give me the details. I sold my Spyder and am considering the Spyder 29'er as it's replacement.

13. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    Sure, be happy to. But you've probably heard them from others.

The slow acceleration out of corners is a problem for me. The weaker wheels (unless you pop the $900 or whatever for I9) is a problem for me. The flexier rear assembly on a FS bike is a problem for me. The taller stance of the FS bike is a problem for me. The bike's desire to keep moving forward, and not want to be tossed around, is a problem for me.

All those things are positives on a fully rigid or hardtail SS, in my view. But for technical trail riding, especially when twisty and tight, the 26" wheel seems more fun to me.

I tried the 26" and 29" FS bikes back to back on several trails I know well late last season. The ones where I like the 29" FS better are wide open, bigger turns. Those types of trails exist where I ride, but they're not in the majority.

If I were racing XC I would have a different view. I don't race, and I don't care about racing, and I don't ride like a racer -- I don't compete with my pals for top of the mountain firsts, or other XC-racer-styled stuff.

The 29" holds momentum better, but takes more energy to get there. In tight twisty trails, it's a negative. Unless I'm on SS, where I'm pushing harder anyway.

14. denmother

Curious, which trails????

Also, which FS will you be using to replace the Sultan?

15. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    One particular trail is near Whitehall, MT and for an alpine ride it was pretty wide open for 90% of a 1.25 hr descent. Another is one of my regular trails, in one section that is about 15% of a 25 min descent.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an outstanding bike and it's a pretty fun way to ride, the locomotive/steamroller aspect is pretty sweet. The bike really feels like cheating on those more open trails. I ended up wishing it fell into more holes so that I could play more on the trail. What I'm saying is that it seems to me more a plow bike than a play bike.

The bike's getting replaced with a Knolly Endorphin, which I have to wait about 3-4 more weeks to receive. It was between that, a Yeti 575 and a Turner 5-Spot.

16. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Welcome aboard the journey :beer:.....looking forward to hear about your mtn biking experiences in the rockies (may move there in a few years). People can be protective due to past history of some who have joined the site just to offload their junk and not really be part of a community/tribe. (hence the policy to contribute before you sell) Judging by your response I believe you'll contribute:). Don't take the initial responses personal....just enjoy what you see.........you never know...you may want to visit and get some personal tours...or vice versa. :-k

where in the Rockies r u?

17. pastamon

pastamon broom wagon

slackin' mofo
    I'm in the Unabomber state.

18. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Montana!!! LOL My dad lives in South Dakota I want to go back and ride in the Black Hills. Yea doood welcome don't stress other people thoughts or views just roll with it. People here are pretty tight so they sometimes don't like it when new people come here to off load their stuff. Me I don't care you can have 0 posts and you have some good deals then in my book you have contributed (at least to me personally) but hey I don't make the rules here.

-Dave

19. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Sorry I came off like and ass. It wasn't intended that way.

From your original post it did sound like you just saw this place as a swap meet. I am glad that is not the case.

Welcome and enjoy! :beer: :welcome:

20. slowrabbit

slowrabbit New Member

:welcome::bang: