VQ/CC Finishers(2013 Pow Wow Writeup & Pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by 9er, Apr 6, 2013.

1. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I have to say this was a hell of an event. I can't thank the WS crew enough for all their work organizing and putting it on.

Big props go out to everyone that even attempted CC and VQ. That is one hell of a ride!

For some background, I had heard about Vision Quest for a while but didn't really know what it was until last year. Once I figured out what it was, I thought it was insane: 55 miles with 11K+ of elevation through the Santa Ana’s? AND you had to hike the last climb?

The weekend after last year’s race I wanted to ride a new trail so I went and rode the first 1/3: Blackstar/Main Divide/Motorway. This ride about killed me and when I got to the bottom of Motorway I was completely worked. I looked up the hill at Maple Springs and thought there was no way I could go 100 yards up the hill, let alone another 30+ miles. The thought of riding VQ actually freaked me out a bit.

Driving to Chipotle for my post ride meal I thought "I can't believe people actually race that. It seems like an insane challenge. I should race it next year." And with that, I figured I would need to start training then and practice my climbing in order to make the time cut offs.

Forward to this weekend: When I showed up to get my wristband I ran into JoJon, and it was nice to see a familiar face. We started by each other and the chit chatting calmed my nerves a bit.

Overall the ride for me was pretty good! Just likes most, I went harder than I wanted and PR’s a ton of segments up to the peak. I enjoyed the mist, clouds, and fog on B* and the Main Divide.

I felt like it was totally demoralizing while the crowd was settling in. I was passing people, but I had people flying by me. I grew up racing motocross and watercraft, so I have a tough time just letting people pass me and run away. I ended up with a bit of a gap with no one behind me and was convinced I was dead last. Then on one of the switchbacks towards the top all I saw was a few miles of headlights streaming behind me. It was a pretty amazing sight to see that many lights (ahead and behind) in a line going up this canyon road. I settled down at that point and just focused on riding.

I had a pretty bad case of cramps on Holy Jim…. Which pretty much sucked. I have never had cramps before so I was surprised I got them. I realized today that I have never done a ride where I go that long without stopping. All of my 5 to 6 hour training rides had at least a short break at some point. I am sure the pace had something to do with it too.

The only other hiccup was a flat on Trabuco heading toward WHT. It was tough watching riders go up the hill past me and the fast guys coming down. My brain was mush by this point and the tire change took forever. First I spent minutes looking for tire levers that were in my hands, and then I spent minutes looking for the valve stem nut that was already on the valve stem. It sounds crazy, but I was totally struggling to simply put a tube in a tire.

My goal was to finish in 8 hours of total time, which I would have made with ease if it wasn’t for the flat, and may have still made if I hadn’t decided to hang out with and talk to a friend at the top of WHT. Ha ha My moving time was 7:31, which I am pretty pumped about, and I think my total time was just over 8 hours.

So…. A year after I had this CRAZY idea of competing in VQ, I am sitting here with my finisher’s feather and reflecting on the insanity of what we did yesterday. How do I compare to a year ago? Let’s look at some Strava data for the Blackstar/Main Divide/Motorway segment:

April 15, 2012: 3 hours and 19 minutes
    April 6, 2013: 2 hours, and 14 minutes

In one year I shaved an hour off my time on that segment, and at the same time was able to go on and finish the rest of VQ with "relative" ease. I’m happy with that.

2. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Carbonlegs... I wouldn't worry about it.

3. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    A six pack of beer usually does the trick with these WS guys ;)

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

If only I drank.

5. christrevi

christrevi New Member

Wow, You told him, enough already, you had your chance to direct the event that day. This is a place for people to share. It's perfectly clear what your beef is but, he started his ride an hour behind the event riders which says to me he wasn't trying to interfere He rode well enough to catch up and that isn't his fault. The event doesn't have the right to lock down the mountain for the entire day. People ride that trail every day and it's not uncommon for riders who wanted to enter but couldn't, pace and motivate riders and they shouldn't have to stay away. I trained hard for this event before only to get shut out when tickets sold out in the first few minutes. I had to settle for pacing a friend at one of the later check points. I wasn't officially in the event but I would have told you to take a hike if you had this attitude that day. We're cyclists and those who have a love for the sport find it hard to be left out. Haven't you ever seen people take a baseball glove to a baseball game? You wouldn't tell them not to try to catch a foul, or would you? :)

6. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Congrats to all those who finished or even attempted. You guys are crazy, but hey that's what being a mtb'er is all about. And as far as Mario ( carbon legs) doing the race, I see no problem at all. The mountain is not closed and if some one wants to get in the hype and be included, that what being a mountain biker is about too. Making an event with an 8 min fill up registration half a year before the event then shunning those who try to be included sounds a lot like a secret society, not a community and thats not cool. Rock on carbonlegs

7. mtnbikej

I did, in 1 post. I have moved on.

Now back to the regularly scheduled RR's.

8. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Alright, I have to admit it... Yesterday, I told myself I would never do it again. And tonight, I'm already catching myself analyzing how I could have done better...and thinking about next year....

The Warrior's Society really has a lot of class--it's a great event. I tried riding the course the day after the event a couple years ago self-supported but turned back at the guardrail on Maple. I waffled back and forth since as to whether or not I should signup.

Now, having done it, I am asking myself why it is I waited so long to do it.

9. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Bad analogy because if you interfered with a ball IN "the field of play" which includes foul balls and home runs, you get booted out of the stadium, but point taken.

The point was well made and taken by both parties involved and you're right, we cannot close the mountain all day, but we do have a permit to run said event and can prevent the entry to the start area until 6:30am. In Mario's defense, he did leave an hr after the event started as he stated and I can vouch for that cause I spoke to him at Black Star start while I was helping break it down. He also didn't expect aid after I explained to in a PM Friday that it's for paid participants and can be refused(not that they would) so he brought his own supplies.

^^^ Misunderstood again: We didn't close the mountain except for at the start, but simply ask others to yield to the participants as to not impede their progress which could cost them a cutoff. How badly would you feel if you caused someone to miss it by 5 or even a minute?

You obviously know nothing about the WS and what we contribute to the trails and the mtb community. The thing I don't understand is that people get so bent not getting into the VQ or CC they will poach it anyways to prove a point when they can do these routes on any other day of the year. Ya I know it's not the same as riding with hundreds of others , but you know what I mean> This was not the case with Mario.
    I'm not speaking for the WS(which I am a member) or the WS share my views about this issue, it's just my opinion.

You won't see WS members poach other events, in fact our members often help out or participate at other events like OTH, Enduro Stuff Challenge, Rwanda 50, Ultra Quest, Courageous Women of Dirt.

As far as more entries, we do not have to permit to allow more than 350 permitted riders on mountain. Our permit ONLY allows for 175 for each VQ and CC. We've asked for more in the past, but was not approved.
    We cannot help it if the event sells out so fast and many get left out. It has sold out in minutes every year in which we are grateful.

Now for more RR's! Thanks.

10. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Okay ill get us back onto RR’s

First off thanks to all of the Warriors members that put on this event so much fun every year!

This year I got my dad to sign up for VQ. He had wanted to sign up for CC but the night of registration he wasn't able to get in so with some prodding I got him to say okay. This would be my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] year attempting VQ by no means making me an expert but giving me enough knowledge to at least help guide him and get him going in the right path. 6 weeks prior to the even I had been going out into the Santa Ana’s with him and doing various loops/out and backs once a week. Usually taking us around 4 hours. With the longest on being Harding-Peak and Down the Jims. The week leading up to this I kept reminding him that he just needed to pace himself and eat/drink as much as possible while he was out there. He started off slow like planned! I think he go the bottom of MW around 3:18? Swapped supplies from the aid station then was off. Had cramping issues but like I had been telling him all along this is like no other event youll do. Everyone is so supportive and helpful! People gave him tips and words of encouragement. He kept moving and bagged the peak. Descended the Jims with only I lay down. Luckily for him he had missed the Aid station # 2 cut off. He turned right and finished out CC (not officially) in 7:50. I am very proud of him for sticking it out and finishing. That to me is what this event is about. People pushing themselves and seeing what they are capable of! So awesome.

Now for myself. After my last year’s DNF/Ripped side wall coming down MW. I put a lot into this race. Luckily my wife was behind me and supported me making that much easier. She even made me special meals the week going into this. Trust me I could use it being a bigger buy and all! Anyways training was going pretty darn good with only a minor pain in my knee from a snowboarding crash a month or so earlier. I had been getting in 12+/- hours a week on the bike since December (see what I mean im lucky she puts up with that and still is supportive) Could have done a better job tapering my Jack and Cokes but ahhh I’ve got to live! Haha. Saturday morning comes around and Im feeling great. Wanted to get a good starting spot so I naked my way up to the front and I find myself standing next to the legend himself ANDY AKARUT as well as Tinker. Pretty cool to be lined up with so many fast guys! After the ceremony and gate opening we/they are off. I swear it started like a XC race not an endurance event. About half way up B* I felt I may have been pushing a bit too hard so I peeled off the lead group. Still ended up getting to the gate ahead of schedule. This isn’t won in the first hour ive learned that in the past! Kicked it down a notch and tried to get my time back on track headed over to MW. Man those views were beautiful! Got to MW and was just cruising it as I didn’t want another DNF! When I passed sidewall slasher rock I let out a big YIPEEEE!!!!! Felt like a big burden had been lifted, weird huh?

At the bottom of MS I pulled into our aid station. Ditched my light, swapped bottles, lubed the chain and was off. Was riding with a buddy for a while then we got separated and I was all by my lonesome. Only passed one person before 4 corners. Crested the peak and was right back on my schedule. Put the bell on my wrist and started descending. I was surprised at how much the bell helped. Most of the hikers were allready on the side of the trail and yelling go go go as I went by them. First time that has ever happened for me coming down holy Jim! got to the bottom and pulled into our second aid station. Swapped out supplies and was off. still right on my time goal. Tried riding up Trabuco wash road but all of a sudden the water I didn’t drink was starting to give me problems. Cramps! I started walking as to keep moving. After a few minutes I was able to start riding again. And cruised in granny gear to avoid cramping as the entire time I was on the verge! I had to walk 100% of WHT. 1 rider passed me going up and another right at the Aid station. I was over it. Then on main divide while over to Trabuco I could see them not to far ahead. I decided screw it I needed to go for it. I pushed as hard as I could while avoiding cramps on the final ascent before Trabuco then was hammering down Trabuco. Got to the WHT split in record time for me. A lot of the riders coming up were walking (like I was) so they were kind enough to move over for me. I know they have the right of way so I gave it to them. Then probably ¼ mile from the gate I clipped another riders bats and did one of the slowest cartwheels imaginable! Haha kind of comical. The other rider was appolgetic as he felt it was his fault but I was laughing. And told him not man it’s my mistake you’re going up. Asked him if he was okay and I was off. while that was all going on 1 other rider passed me. oh well. Road the road as fast as I could to the finish! Great day!

All in all I got a 5:48. Which met my main goal of Sub 6 hours I set 2 years ago. Although after talking with a few people and seeing my training times I was hoping to be closer to 5:30 and definitely wanted to be in the top 10! A buddy of mine told me that a lot of the fast guys were doing CC instead of VQ so I thought I had a chance. Ended up 13[SUP]th[/SUP] with hydration/cramps being my key limiter. Although I was very happy with my pace as I only passed and got passed by a total of 7 people after Beeks place letting my know that I wasn't to far off. Oh well maybe next year. Still beat work!

See you guys on the trails.:wave:

11. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Carbon legs,

WS is always looking for folks willing to swing some shovels and do trail maintenance. Or register or volunteer at one other events coming up like Toad Festival or Traverse.

You're a strong rider maybe you can lead some STR training rides next year.

Lots of ways to give back.

To all, congrats and great job to even try. Please keep the RRs coming.

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I'm a lurker as far as this thread goes, since there is no way in hell I would ever attempt a CC/VQ. Again, props to those who do.

If there were so many DNS's what if WS were able to find a way to sell those spots right there, 10 minutes after the last registered rider has left. WS could put up a 25-50 person standby list with all of the pre-registration complete - but maybe not open that list until a few days before the event (when those who are injured or have other reasons not to do it already know they won't be showing up - and those who are ready to try can get out there and take their chances on getting a spot). Give out the number plate of the no-show, but strikethrough the number so course monitors know he/she is a replacement.

I am sure there are many technical holes in this "solution," but with such a popular event and such a quick sell out, it might be worth looking into. :?:

BTW - I was super proud of myself for climbing 3200' the other day without cramping!!!! There is no way I could have done that 2-3 more times. Y'all are sick.

:beer:

13. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I do drink beer. A high quality IPA will be fine. Thanks.
    If you are really sorry about the poach, put it in the past and let bygones be bygones (of however you say that.) A good beer will be fine for me. :)

14. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I'm sure they'll work it out. Mario is super cool and so are the Warriors. I, for one, was glad for the encouragement going up MS where he caught me. I can also see how it could've freaked me out if he came sliding up on me coming down MW, or UHJ, or LHJ. And yes; I would have stopped and pulled over thinking he was another racer.

15. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    This read is making me want to fill the growler at TBC today.

16. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    That was me (on the bottom of MW). I was a little miffed bc I wouldn't have pulled over knowing it wasn't a registered rider. Mario, you owe me the beer! :wave:

17. andy aka rut

Herzalot-
    There are literally hundred's of hours put into this event. The paperwork, simply put, sucks.
    We used to allow people to transfer names and all that stuff. It simply became more of a headache than the event itself. It sucks that we had soooo many Did Not Start (DNS) people. That unfortuately is part of the event every year. While we would love to allow people to pay last minute, it just becomes too complicated at 4 in the morning. If you really want to do the event, you have to be on the computer when the event registration opens.
    Thanks for listening!

18. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Selling those DNS spots on the morning of the event could generate around $10,000 of additional revenue and put the field back to 350 riders. Then send them off in a 2nd wave and keep the aid stations open a little longer for riders with a slash through their number plates. Seems like a win/win for the WS and the folks not able to make the initial sign-up.

19. mtnbikej

Life would be great if it were that simple.

Unfortunately, as much as cramps, tears and smiles.....DNS's are part of the event. This year did seem worse than others.

It generally takes anywhere from 30-45 mins to tally up the DNS's after the event starts. Considering that it takes some 10 hrs to do the event, having riders start 1 hour later means riders could be on the course an hour later. It's not all about getting the riders off the mountain before dark.....but our volunteers as well. We have had years were volunteer vehicles have broken down/flat tires on Main Divide during the event. It is part of our safety measures.

Plus to send another riders off 1 hour later.....they would have to extend the time cutoffs.....or most of the (new) riders would not make the cutoffs.

We have enough issues behind the scenes with the riders that are on the course....to not add more by all of a sudden adding another new 90 riders out on the course.

We have discussed this as a club and with our timing/registration/communications ad nauseam.

Thanks for the input.

20. andy aka rut

I'll tell you what.
    Come out and do 100 hours of volunteer work with the Warrior's Society over a year. Get nominated to become a member, become a member and try to sway the members who have done this for years that this is a win/win. While this looks great on paper, it is a logistical nightmare. I don't know a single volunteer that would want to put that on his/her plate.
    :)