VO Grand Cru Crank 46/30

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by BikeThePlanet, Apr 7, 2010.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2010/02/grand-cru-crank.html

This looks interesting. I need lower gearing on my CrossCheck and have been looking between compact double or a triple. I have 52/39 DuraAce w/ 11-25 and well . . . I am no true roadie. More like a Fred. I usually cruise around 15-18 mph. Eventually as I get in better shape I am sure that will improve.

I will be starting my commute again this month (3-5 miles) and I ride to get something to eat, along the beach to Seal Beach from HB, or along the river from HB to Angel's Stadium. My goal this year is to be able to ride to SD and take the train back. Long term a tour down the coast has been on my mind.

Anyhow, for somebody like me who isn't going to race and won't ever be wearing matching outfits and drafting off others in a large group, I need something lower to start riding some hills.

What do you guys think about this setup vs a traditional compact double vs a triple vs maybe even a middleburn duo?

2. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    The 46/30 gearing would be great for dirt climbing to Santiago Peak, etc. Plus those cranks look really nice.

But I'd go 34/50 for all around fire road and pavement riding. Maybe get a 26 or 27t cassette to go with it.