Viejoland Ride and the "New Canyon Acres"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by JamR, May 2, 2005.

1. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    I got a late start on Sunday for the three park ride. Sorry if I missed anyone who showed up early.

It was a great ride, and the trails are in great shape. The one big surprise was the condition of Canyon Acres. I decided to go down Canyon Acres to LC instead of steps, to check the condition of Canyon Acres before I climbed back up. This was not the Canyon Acres I remembered!!

Once you roll past Telonics, the trail turns into a rutted puzzle with exposed sandstone, cobbles, and ruts (some 3’ deep). It’s a fun and technical mine-field all the down. There’s no way I could have climbed it on my three speed, so I’m thinking of taking my geared bike back this coming weekend to attempt to climb it.

I would highly recommend that the riders here check it out before they send equipment up to grade it (which I understand is supposed to happen soon). I plan on going down a few more times and try to climb it at least once before they blade it off.

I’ll post some pictures tonight after my ride.

The ride:
    Parking lot at AW, up Cholla, down Lynx, up Rock-it to T.O.W., down Canyon Acres, rode LC Road to LCWP, up Willow to Bommer to gate 12 into El Morro, Missing Link back to Bommer, Bommer to Emerald, down Emerald, up Old Emerald, Bommer to Willow, down Willow, cross LC Road, up Steps, back up to T.O.W., down Meadows and out. It sounds long when you write it down, but it’s really just a series of short climbs with plenty of coasting and rest in between.

If anyone’s interested in joining me next weekend, I plan on doing a similar ride again. It will be another relaxed, slow and fun ride.