Vicodin. ick.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by craig z, Nov 2, 2008.

1. craig z

craig z New Member

musician and dad
    Home Page:
    Stacked hard on the 16th of this month, I have NO idea how, just the same old swooping steep little section I've hit hundreds of times. Next thing I know I'm face first directly to the side of the hill, split lips, and then chest to the ground. I cracked one rib, and tore some cartlidge on the left side of my sternum. Weird thing is, it hurt that next couple days, but two weeks later WAY worse. I finally relented and saw the doc, got the xrays ( didn't go the day i crashed) and got the ol " cant do anything but rest and wait it out" She gave me Vicodin, and while it helps with the pain, and sleeping, makes me feel loopy as hell. and kinda ill.

Anyone have luck with just ibuprofen? or anything else? I've been icing, and that seems to help, but not sure if thats the right thing to do for ribs this late in the game.Sleeping sitting up sucks. It dosent help that i play drums for a living and have had a couple of long days in the studio--- hopefully this isn't reinjuring them, but i gotta work.

This is th 3rd time injuring Ribs in ten years, maybe it's time for the recumbent?

my nov trip to Sedona would seem to not be a good idea at this point eh? anyhow, positive thing is, the pain reminds me how lucky I am to be able to get my little ride in everyday, that I'm generally healthy enough to ride at all, and that I've got good friends that aren't as fortunate, and fighting for their lives right now ( cancer ) I'll take the pain and appreciate it. But sure would like to stop falling on the same side.

2. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

vicocin is great for sleeping pain Ive never really used anything else for my many injuries other then stronger things like oxy, if it makes you sick the doc can give you a pill for that(but then your just taking more pills) There is a new controversial medicine avialable in california but it may make you a little loopy as well.

Truthfully the best thing i have used for healing cartilege/musle/and recovering fractures is some time in a hot tub

3. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Vicodin is a mild opiate that masks the pain.That's why you feel loopy.This past Sept.,I did in a rib in a non-bike related injury.Instead of vicodin,the doc gave me 800mg.of Motrin,(Ibuprofen).That worked just as good for me as Vicoden would've,without feeling loopy.You need a prescription for the 800mg.per 8 hour tabs or go to Walgreen's and get the 200mg./500count bottle and take 4 tabs/8hrs.It's still gonna hurt like hell,but at least you won't feel out of it.If your ribs are taped,remember to untape them once a day and take several deep breaths so you don't get a possible lung infection.You might want to postpone Sedona until you feel better.I was off the bike for all of Sept.,and when I did start riding again,I'd get a stabbing pain if I hit a hard hill climb or a large bump.Good luck to you as I do know how you're feeling.- Lloyd :wave:

4. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
    I broke my clavicle couple years ago. Of course doc prescribed vicodin. weird thing - it didn't really work for me. I guess different people take it differently, but pain was there half an hour, an hour, three, four, six hours after the pill. So I switched to plain old Ibuprof. That worked much better.
    One thing to remember though - Ibuprofen can cause unpleasant side effects, especially if one has stomach or liver condition. I'm no doc, so I'd check with the real doc first.

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

ask for darvocet.

i usually barf after a day of vicodin, so i ask for darvocet. works 98% as well, but doesnt make you loopy or sick.

6. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Vicodin didn't make my pain go away, I just didn't care that it hurt 'cause I was so lit up.

Like Lloyd said, 800 mg Ibuprofen 3x a day in 4 hour increments can help a lot, but it is not advisable to exceed 3200 mg in a day. Keep icing it since it'll keep the inflammation down and help speed healing.

I like to alternate ice and heat in 20 minute increments and do each one twice. That plus the Ibuprofen worked on my soleus injury even when complete rest only helped a little.

Rubber side down.

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I am the same Vicodin had very little effect helped with pain a little bit but advil seemed to work as well.

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Vicodin kills my stomach and make me loopy as well so last year when I broke my foot I requested Darvocet and it helped with the pain but no stomach issues and I was a lot more coherent and able to work in the home office

9. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Ibuprofen and Vicodin are two different acting medicines, Ibuprofen/Motrin is an anti-inflammatory drug (reduces the swelling) and as un-kola said Vicodin is an opiate that masks the pain, try taking a smaller dos of Motrin (400mg) along with a half a Vicodin, I assume you were given 500mg of Vicodin. This is what I do and it helps reduce the swelling and cuts the pain, I also use R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. R.I.C.E. although R.I.C.E. may not be relevant for a cracked rib, but rest is always good for most injuries.

10. quazi

quazi New Member

Investment Banker
    I can't beleive some use vicodin as a recreational drug...it works for pain but makes me feel queasy.

11. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Not just for breakfast anymore

I'm not a big fan, gotta chase it with some 151 to get a good buzz going. Like the others said a little hot tub with some bong hits will mellow it right out.

Attached Files:

12. Silver

Silver New Member

You really want to stay away from mixing Vicodin and booze.

Booze and acetaminophen together can occasionally cause nasty things like liver failure...the difference between a toxic dose of Tylenol and a therapeutic dose isn't very large.

13. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

Vicodin is like speed for me. Not only does it mask the pain but I usually feel good enough to clean out the garage, closet and finish up some of those never-ending projects. I really feel bad for everyone that is having stomach issues when taking vicodin so here is what I am going to do... I'll trade straight-up vicodin for either 800 mg ibuprofen or 400 mg motrin. By the way Disco, I'll need to borrow some booze and a bong.

Let me be perfectly clear... Before everyone begins with the lectures, I am only joking. I would be willing to trade 2 to 1. :lol:

14. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Vicodin also stops your system up...#2 becomes difficult. I try not to take that stuff any longer than necessary. I've had a lot of dental work done the past year, so lots of experience with Vicodin.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Having had past issues with drug dependency, I'm not able to take vicodin or most other drugs for that matter. I can take Ibuprofin and to me this is a miracle drug. Helps most everytime. I cracked a rib back in 02 and although I tore very little cartlidge there was very little relief from the pain. What worked best for me was the heating pad. 20 minutes on and then an hour off. This was the only way I could sleep for 2 weeks. I was still able to ride my road bike as long as I watched out for bigger bumps.

16. BHow

BHow New Member

International Sales
    Craig Z,

the pain you felt later on was certainly the fractured rib/ribs but also the worse pain was probably the soft tissue damage. I have injured ribs/sternum/collarbones several times and the worst of them were soft tissue injuries rather than bone. It takes longer to heal and is more constant pain and irritation. Bone heals faster and as long as immobile is generally out of pain.

As for healing, i disagree with the earlier posters that said hot tub time. Once the injury is healed and you are experiencing stiffness or have trouble warming up injured soft tissue then heat is good. But during all stages of the healing is ICE, ICE, ICE. Swelling, bruising= ice. Heat during the healing process invites more warm fluids into the injured area. This will increase swelling and fluid retention. Ice helps the body disapate the extra fluids and speed healing. But don't ice for more than 20 minutes per session.

Vicodin has different affects on folks. My pain does not get better. I simply forget it hurts. Almost a psychological thing. I can also go do what ever on Vicodin. Doesn't slow me down. But i will have a headache later. I try to stay away from it though.

Hope you heal up quick. I bet drumming hurts but as long as bearable probably not causing that much damage. The soreness the next day if any is normal for this kind of injury.

good luck

17. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

makes me sleep all day and stops up my plumbing too. let's give some to the people who poop on the trails in S Oaks.

18. guero

guero iFroth

reefer.

19. singleminded

singleminded I poached, and got busted

Something I don't like
    What the hell

This stuff is not working for me. Been taking 1 5/500 every 3 hrs and have not drop in level of pain. Can't sleep due to the pain and I don't feel a bit woozie???? Been up for hrs trying to see if 2 tablets are safe...I am desperate [-o-]

I thought this stuff was the shit? I have been up all night contemplating a trip to the hosp for something better.

My knee looks like a grapefruit, burning hot up my quad and into my back. Damn dr's.......Let them go thru this and see how helppfull they are next time.
    Maybe I should drink some liquior with it :-k

Damn it hurts......

20. bevaaler

bevaaler EriktheRed

Domestic Servant
    double it

After my back surgery, I had to double my dose of Vicodin which was the 750mg pill. That was the only way I could fall asleep at night. Even then I was back up and in pain by 6 am. Then I would down another Vicodin and sleep a couple more hours. It was either that or put a bullet in my head. I had to do this for months, finally the pain began to decrease and I was able to start cutting back on my Vicodine use. I never felt addicted, loopy, nausea or anything like that, it just made the pain barable. Good luck with your sleep and pain.. :drunk: Erik