Vail Lake DH Race, November 8th

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by DownHillPhil, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

great time today. good seeing a bunch of you guys. gotta hang out with Mark (mfoga), Eric (Marshall Willanholy), and a bunch of other people (such as the infamous Nancy and Roger).

Also nice meeting a few new people, like RC compton, and a few other folks I can't think of.

now down to business: where are the pictures? :wave: I've got a few random ones, so if you let me know your number plate I MIGHT have you somewhere (my dad was just taking random pictures of people)

Also, anyone happen to know how the 19-26 sport men's class panned out? I think I did well (passed a guy at the dust bowl turn :bang:), but iunno from there. Had to leave early before my ride took off in search of food.

2. jamesdc

jamesdc New Member

Anyone have the jr x results, they messed them up big time and i left before they were fixed.

This race was really fun though, the course was great and so were the people. In all it was a really fun time.

3. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Nothing yet I was the guy behind you. (nice to meet you haha) No one has results yet

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

nice to meet you too! You meet people and don't even know you did :lol::beer:

5. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
  6. bwolmarans

bwolmarans The perfect look.

Actually a really fun track and a great turnout.

7. wheel slayer

wheel slayer Damn Seagulls

Thanks for the cool pics Phil, to bad you couldn't get a shot of the wind blowing my tent into the creek with me in it.
    [​IMG]

8. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend a success...Robert with Racers n Chasers for a super fun XC course (and the coolest number plates ever), EC and Dale for organizing the Hillbilly Race, Mike for MC'ing, all the shuttle drivers and volunteers who helped pull this race together. Awesome job :clap::clap:...we had a great time!!

9. VTVic

VTVic New Member

IT Guy
    Awesome shot of you :lol: Thanks for the RR:beer:

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

RR: XC and DH

Had a great time doing the Racers n Chasers XC ride on Saturday morning.

Arriving at the venue
    [​IMG]

Some of the many volunteers, including Dale from D26
    [​IMG]

XC racers
    [​IMG]

Luke on the XC
    [​IMG]

Temps climbed up into the 80s pretty quickly, which made for a headache by the time I finished. The mass start was a little hectic but things settled in pretty well once we got onto the singletrack. I have to say...I was impressed by how much singletrack Robert worked into the course...it was really fun.

Me, followed by a guy with a broken derailleur...he gritted it out
    [​IMG]

I was racing myself (nobody else in my age group). Before I knew it, the race was over even though I felt like I had just started warming up.

XC finish :)
    [​IMG]

I took the mid-afternoon off and rested, then got suited up for DH and took one practice run. The course was pretty loose and sandy in the turns (not my DH strong point) and I was kind of 50-50 on whether I would race. One run and my headache returned so I called it quits while everyone else was up practicing for the rest of the day.

Set up camp and then tried to cook dinner (camp stove has a leaky seal). So, we headed down to watch the Redneck Games (toilet seat toss, bobbing for pig's feet, tire roll) and then went for some dinner down by the freeway. Best part was hanging with everyone and catching up with friends.

The Redneck Games
    [​IMG]

You have to look close, but that's Dave Weagle (E13, DW-link, Evil bikes guy) tossing a toilet seat
    [​IMG]

Some of the kids dressed to the nines in hillbilly get-ups
    [​IMG]

Cool decorations
    [​IMG]

Turned in early and woke up in the middle of the morning to the sound of rain on the roof of the tent. And then the wind started.

What's at the end of your rainbow? At the end of ours is a sweet bike park in the making
    [​IMG]

It stayed windy for most of the day. I decided to race (after 8 months of not racing DH I was worried I'd be pretty rusty but I felt good during practice).

In any case, it was chilly and windy at the top of the course but the lines were burned in pretty well. I took it pretty conservatively and made most of my lines and had a pretty clean run. Still waiting to hear how I finished but I know the other girls were all really fast today so we'll see.

Pro men's podium...1st JD Swanguen, 2nd Cody Warren, 3rd Kevin Aiello, 4th ?, 5th Brad Oien
    [​IMG]

Vet pro podium...Man blong Gaua (Dan) 4th
    [​IMG]

Man blong Gaua with his Hillbilly trophy
    [​IMG]

We had an awesome time out there and can't wait for the next round! Thanks especially to all those who came out to spectate and cheer the racers on :)

11. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    So Dave Weagal WAS out there! #-o
    I was wondering why that guy looked so familiar..

haha I'm glad no one caught any photos of me scratching my butt, while waiting for shuttles to pass and watching Super D. :lol:

12. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Yeah...it was a funny story...

My friend Alex and I were standing in the parking lot. A guy rides up on a brand new 09 Turner.

Alex says, "Wow...you must know somebody to already have one of those!"

The guy says, "Yeah, something like that."

I see that the guy has Utah plates so I ask here he is from. "Martha's Vineyard," he replies.

Alex and he banter on about the bike.

Then, a light bulb goes off in my head.

"If you're from the Vineyard, you must know the guys at Evil Bikes then." (I'm from MA, too and remembered my sister went to the Vineyard a few years ago...came back and told me she & her boyfriend stayed at the house of the guy who started Evil...of course, she had no idea what that meant :rolleyes:).

The guy goes, "Yeah, I actually started Evil."

Turns out we were talking to Dave Weagle the whole time! He was really nice about it and was really down to earth. Guess that 'splains why he has a nice shiny new Turner :)

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Had a great time, I am shocked I didnt get to meet a few other of you that were there. I felt good on most of practice runs today so I get to the top early so I can see everyones runs, opps goggles are in the car still oh well. Watched everyone run then just sat there, talked with most of those in my class. They line us up and I was first out#-o. That was the spot I didnt want. So i get out made the first few turns best I had, then blow the next one, I am like crap. Push harder blow the next one. I did that another 2 times. I was pretty disappointed in my performance. I have no idea how I placed or what my time was but that was one of my worst runs. I had fun but I physced myself out being first out.

Like as others said the results will be up in a few days.

Oh crap just looked at pics, Phil did you have a Kona sweatshirt on today?

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I forgot one of my favorite parts of the day, the fact that the signs for Vailocity has mountain misspelled:lol:

15. EC1

EC1 New Member

wanted to take a sec to thank everyone for coming out to our HillBilly bike bash this weekend, its support like this that show the folks at Vail Lake resort how much fun our community is.... Dale and I busted tail the last 5 weeks to launch this thing and we are super stoked with the turn out and feedback...everyone seemed to have a blast,

We realize there are some big and small hurdles we have to fine tune but based on feedback we got, there was a lot more positive then negative and it motivates us to do some more stuff like this...

i want to personally thank all the people that help put the event on, without you we would have not been able to pull it off.

please send us e-mails with feedback so we can continue to grow and get better for all of us,

E.C.

16. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Yeah I had a feeling that was him. I don't know anyone else that speaks so energetically.

17. lizardking

lizardking Lets just ride!

Printing
    Home Page:
    A few pics from Sunday

My 10 year old took 2nd in the semi-pro class!;) He's fast!!!:bang:
    If you see one you like, let me know and I'll e-mail to you.

Attached Files:

18. lizardking

Printing
    Home Page:
    More pics of Sunday!

Attached Files:

19. lizardking

Printing
    Home Page:
    Just a few more. Enjoy!:beer:

Attached Files:

20. luna

luna I Wanna Ride I Wanna Ride

Realtor
    Thanks Eric & Crew, Vail Lake & Crew for throwing on the event.

Build it & they will come, I will for sure be back.

Family had a great time. My whole crew had a great time. RV park open to MTB'ers.

All the efforts everyone involved to make this happen, is much appreciated.

Thank You again to all involved in making Vailocity. It was a GREAT TIME!!!